ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme6/Samsung EVO 960 SSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by nukEd nukEd wrote:

All the same, even the system browser in UEFi won´t find the EVO. It says empty.
Also the W10-Installation do not recognize it.
I think that the M.2 slot must be faulty not the SSD, because it works fine in the normal slot..
Damn

I've never had a bad M.2 slot myself, and I have boards like the ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ that has three Ultra M.2 slots, and I've used them all at the same time. I've removed M.2 SSDs from the slots, put them back in again, and put different SSDs in the slots.

Of course it is possible for an M.2 slot to be bad, and it sounds like yours may be bad. If the 960 is not seen in System Browser, then it is not being detected.

The only things I can think of is if you are using multiple video or other cards in the PCIe slots, but that should not affect the Ultra M.2 slot. Otherwise, if something is shorting the bottom of the board right on the Ultra M.2 connector.

Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on the board, or the Clr CMOS button on the IO panel, with the 960 EVO in the Ultra M.2 slot?

The connections on any M.2 slot are tiny and very close together, a miracle they work at all. You have the 960 held in place with the small screw, right? Of course you do. There is some side to side movement of the SSD when it is in the slot, before the screw is in place. Do all the gold connection points on the 960, on both sides of it, look good?

First time I can recall hearing of a bad M.2 slot, which sounds like it is the case, sorry to say.
nukEd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nukEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 4:40am
Yes I cleared the CMOS as you said before.
It was a nice tight fit in both slots, without any space.
And if I could twice manage to put the 960 in the slower M.2 and it worked
and twice in the Ultra slot and it didn´t. I don´t see there a big chance.
And the 960 stopped to be recognized in the ultra slot without me moving it in and out another time.
It just.

I put the 960 the first time in and saw that I could´nt find it then I remembered that I need a new BIOS. I flashed the new BIOS it was successfully recognized and I could see it in the brwoser and also could see the NVMe configuration option.
Then I wanted to install W10 but had to change the boot priority for the USB-Stick and that was the moment when I realised that the 960 was "gone".
I am not far from selling everything and buy new parts...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic