FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97 Extreme 4 - Defective motherboard ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97 Extreme 4 - Defective motherboard ?
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 3:35am
I'm afraid that's all we get. The codes are broken down in such a way as to point you in the right direction. So if we get stuck on an A5 code then we know it is storage related so try another cable, drive or power cable to the drive etc. The information is actually pretty helpful if you know how to use it. 

The descriptions of the different codes are grouped by component. As you can see there are a lot of codes related to memory for example, this is because there are a lot of POST tests regarding memory. Knowing what a particular code within that group means is largely irrelevant in solving a memory problem, you only really have a few things you can do; try different RAM, try another slot and clear CMOS and see if it the system detects your RAM correctly with a clean slate. The same principal applies to SATA devices, PCIe devices etc.

Knowing that an XX (made up) code means a buffer init overrun in sector A0 on your RAM isn't going to help you fix it any more than simply knowing it is a memory error.

As for changing codes, you need to bare in mind that POST runs through hundreds of tests, most take place so fast they don't even show in the debug LED unless the system freezes during one of them. Different UEFI settings can cause a different set of codes to display. So long as the debug LED clears and the system begins to boot, none of the data displayed matters. 

I get the curiosity, I hate not knowing how things work too Wink

If you really want to look into the meanings of more of the codes and are prepared to spend weeks -months researching the different terms and tests you can google AMI post codes and get them right from the source. These codes should be common across all platforms that use AMI BIOS ROMs. This is only really useful if you are planning on getting into BIOS modding though Wink 
Zeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

POST codes are system checks, the indicator simply tells you what part of POST is happening.

I get that, lol but what exactly its checking? And why those codes change between bios versions?
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

If there is a problem with a particular part that code will remain on the display, the code will then correlate to a particular test (detailed in the user manual) and give you an idea of what is wrong. 

http://asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334
^Not so helpful..
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 3:02am
POST codes are system checks, the indicator simply tells you what part of POST is happening. If there is a problem with a particular part that code will remain on the display, the code will then correlate to a particular test (detailed in the user manual) and give you an idea of what is wrong. 
Zeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 2:49am
***SOLVED!!! Holly madapasta, seems that everything was a bios issue. I switched back to bios v1.3 from back-up bios_b and everything seems to be back to normal. (need to test some more the GPU issue within games though)
Also now post codes changed a bit... i'm now getting  4F, b2, 99, 9C, b4, A2  for what it's worth! Anyone care to explain the meanings?! :)

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The Dr Debug display always shows POST codes as POST runs. That is normal and does not indicate a problem, that's how the Dr Debug display works.

If a POST process test fails, the code of that test remains on the display. The OS will not boot, and you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS UI if that occurs.

If the PC boots or you are able to get into the UEFI/BIOS UI, then POST completed successfully.

Thanks for the info, i didn't know it works in that way.

What version of Windows are you using?

How did you install drivers and mother board software on this PC?

Win 7 ultimate SP1 x64
Through windows, after a clean install.

When the power button on the PC case does not work, after turning the PSU on again, look at the network cable input on the board's IO panel. Do you see any of the two small LEDs next to that input light up? That is, if you have an active network cable connected to the network input. I'm trying to determine if power is being applied to the board.

I don't have an ethernet access nearby but i connected an external 2,5 hdd and it started as soon as i turned on the PSU so power is being applied to the board.

Are you turning the PSU off after you shutdown the PC, and then turn on the PSU later on?

Yes

About the wireless card, what model is it and which slot is it being used in? Are you using the Fast Boot option?

No Fast Boot. It's a TP-Link on pcie1 x1

About the Restore on AC/Power Loss situation, in the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced screen, Intel Smart Connect Technology screen, is that feature enabled or disabled? If you don't use that feature, set it to Disabled. Otherwise, that feature may be starting the PC when power is restored.

I had set it from the start to disabled.

Regarding your GPU acting strange sometimes, why do you think it is related to the mother board?

Maybe because everything points to the M/B ?
PSU voltages looks fine with aida64 & in bios.
I don't have issues with any stress test.
Honestly, don't know what its wrong with GPU if its not the M/B :/

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I have a few questions too.

Have you connected BOTH PCIe 6-pin _and _8-pin power c onnected directly from the PSU to the GPU? No adapters, no nothing? Both 6 and 8 pins straight to the GPU?

Single GPU, or SLI?

Full 8-pin ATX12V1 CPU Power connected?

Yes both 6-pin & 8-pin straight connected.
Single GPU.
Yes full 8-pin CPU cable connected.
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Something to try. In the middle of the board is a 4-pin molex Additional PCIe Power connector. Plug a molex on there as a test to. No harm will come of you doing this. Its purpose is to provide an additional power source to the PCIe bus should the bus need it.

Thank you! Silly me, i didn't thought of that lol. Will try it out if problem comes back.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 1:43pm
I have a few questions too.

Have you connected BOTH PCIe 6-pin _and _8-pin power c onnected directly from the PSU to the GPU? No adapters, no nothing? Both 6 and 8 pins straight to the GPU?

Single GPU, or SLI?

Full 8-pin ATX12V1 CPU Power connected?

Something to try. In the middle of the board is a 4-pin molex Additional PCIe Power connector. Plug a molex on there as a test to. No harm will come of you doing this. Its purpose is to provide an additional power source to the PCIe bus should the bus need it.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Zeus Zeus wrote:

Oh well i build a new z97 based system with an extreme4 and i'm getting a bunch of post codes on dr.debug. I don't even know for what thing some of them are.
I'm getting the codes with that order 4F, b2, 78, 99, b4, A2
the strange thing is that it doesn't stuck on any code & it boots as it should be...but i have some other issues

1) when i switch the PSU from ON to OFF and again to ON, power button doesn't work for the next couple of minutes.
2a) after a windows restart, windows doesn't recognize the pcie wireless card (not a windows or driver issue, card works fine on another machine)
2b) also GPU acts strange sometimes during gameplays, when switch from the select menus to gameplay and back, the stuttering starts, until i reload the game.
3) "Restore on AC/Power Loss" on bios is set to "Power Of" but the system start up when the power recovers.

Clear CMOS didn't help in any case.

PSU : Seasonic Platinum 660 XP2
M/B : Z97 Extreme 4    Bios version : 2.50
CPU: i7 4790K
RAM: F3-2400C10D-16GTX (run at 1600MHz)
GPU: Gigabyte gtx970 G1

Thanks for reading

The Dr Debug display always shows POST codes as POST runs. That is normal and does not indicate a problem, that's how the Dr Debug display works.

If a POST process test fails, the code of that test remains on the display. The OS will not boot, and you cannot get into the UEFI/BIOS UI if that occurs.

If the PC boots or you are able to get into the UEFI/BIOS UI, then POST completed successfully.

What version of Windows are you using?

How did you install drivers and mother board software on this PC?

When the power button on the PC case does not work, after turning the PSU on again, look at the network cable input on the board's IO panel. Do you see any of the two small LEDs next to that input light up? That is, if you have an active network cable connected to the network input. I'm trying to determine if power is being applied to the board.

Are you turning the PSU off after you shutdown the PC, and then turn on the PSU later on?

About the wireless card, what model is it and which slot is it being used in? Are you using the Fast Boot option?

About the Restore on AC/Power Loss situation, in the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced screen, Intel Smart Connect Technology screen, is that feature enabled or disabled? If you don't use that feature, set it to Disabled. Otherwise, that feature may be starting the PC when power is restored.

Regarding your GPU acting strange sometimes, why do you think it is related to the mother board?
Zeus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 5:12am
Oh well i build a new z97 based system with an extreme4 and i'm getting a bunch of post codes on dr.debug. I don't even know for what thing some of them are.
I'm getting the codes with that order 4F, b2, 78, 99, b4, A2
the strange thing is that it doesn't stuck on any code & it boots as it should be...but i have some other issues
1) when i switch the PSU from ON to OFF and again to ON, power button doesn't work for the next couple of minutes.
2a) after a windows restart, windows doesn't recognize the pcie wireless card (not a windows or driver issue, card works fine on another machine)
2b) also GPU acts strange sometimes during gameplays, when switch from the select menus to gameplay and back, the stuttering starts, until i reload the game.
3) "Restore on AC/Power Loss" on bios is set to "Power Of" but the system start up when the power recovers.

Clear CMOS didn't help in any case.

PSU : Seasonic Platinum 660 XP2
M/B : Z97 Extreme 4    Bios version : 2.50
CPU: i7 4790K
RAM: F3-2400C10D-16GTX (run at 1600MHz)
GPU: Gigabyte gtx970 G1

Thanks for reading

Edited by Zeus - 10 Mar 2017 at 5:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic