FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poor security on forum account registration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor security on forum account registration
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by aclaydog aclaydog wrote:

Posting here as there is "general" or "forum feedback" forum.

There is no validation of email addresses when creating an account on these forums.  This is a bad security practice, as you are not verifying someone owns the specified email address (i.e. identity theft).

It also makes the forum a more inviting target for spammers, who don't need to have valid mailboxes.

Unfortunately the forum is run from China and us Moderators don't have much control.

Yet I agree 110% that sending an email validation is more secure and I would like to see it implemented. Thanks, as this reminds me I should bring this to their attention as I too noticed that when I reg'd.

Believe it or not there is far FAR less spam and linkage occurring here than I, and you, would think. Maybe two or three Users a week abuse it. And, we are sub'd to a rather good IP and email list that automatically blocks I assume much of those shenanigans and attempted Users.

aclaydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aclaydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 6:07am
Posting here as there is "general" or "forum feedback" forum.

There is no validation of email addresses when creating an account on these forums.  This is a bad security practice, as you are not verifying someone owns the specified email address (i.e. identity theft).

It also makes the forum a more inviting target for spammers, who don't need to have valid mailboxes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic