FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Faulty motherboard?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faulty motherboard?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Jonte Jonte wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. I did the following:
  • I removed the battery overnight
  • I borrowed a keyboard with a USB-connection
  • I removed the control card with extra SATA-connections (RAID) and only used the harddrives that could be connected directly to the motherboard
And... it worked! :)

Not sure which of the above did the trick, but I can now access bios and have installed Windows.

Thanks for all the tips
BR / Jonas  

Removing the RAID card is what fixed your problem.

My guess why that happened is related to the CMOS/BIOS chip on your board. It is a 32Gbit, or 8MB CMOS chip. The SATARaid BIOS version 5.0.35 1997-2004 Silicon Image message you saw is from the RAID card's Option ROM utility, which is a program that is stored in spare space on the CMOS/BIOS chip.

The problem is the spare space in the CMOS chip was not large enough to contain the card's Option ROM without interfering with the BIOS code on the CMOS chip. That prompt to enter the RAID utility normally times out on its own, but the POST or BIOS code could not continue since it was corrupted by the Option ROM writing over the BIOS code, or somehow corrupting it.

You can of course test that yourself by putting that RAID card back in again. Try clearing the CMOS/BIOS right after you install the RAID card, which might help it accept the Option ROM code. You could also try setting the AddOn ROM Display option in the BIOS to Disabled, which will cause that message to not be displayed when the PC boots.

Many boards now have 64Gbit (16MB) or 128Gbit (32MB) CMOS chips.
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 10:07pm
You're very welcome, and thanks for posting about the boot screen, it made it easy to know the CMOS clear didn't work and didn't default. 

Lets hope you can now enjoy the board.  Have a great day.
asrocking
Jonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 7:16pm
Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. I did the following:
  • I removed the battery overnight
  • I borrowed a keyboard with a USB-connection
  • I removed the control card with extra SATA-connections (RAID) and only used the harddrives that could be connected directly to the motherboard
And... it worked! :)

Not sure which of the above did the trick, but I can now access bios and have installed Windows.

Thanks for all the tips
BR / Jonas  
odiebugs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odiebugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 7:02am
Welcome to the board. 

Did you use the clear CMOS button, and if you did,  read your manual, find the clear CMOS jumper and follow instructions,  then remove battery overnight. 

Before you remove battery, make sure you discharge the motherboard power from it and remove the PSU cord. You hit the on/off switch a few times until the led light flashes, which means power drained.

You say you see a list of drives, are they yours, if not then it's sounds like the BIOS is stuck with what was a RAID setup on the board and showing it;'s drives, because when you clear CMOS, RAID is not a default.

Also can you post what you put on for drives and what memory, and did you try the build motherboard scenario like you were building it test before putting everything together.  

Try what I said and post back.

Yes, the 2.60 is the newest UEFI / BIOS, for this board.

Here is a link, has drivers, manual, info, specs for your board.

When looking at the back, only use top USB for keyboard, usually left.   

When was the last time you put the PS2 keyboard into a working PC.  can you borrow a different one to try.

Edited by odiebugs - 23 Jul 2015 at 7:09am
asrocking
Jonte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2015 at 3:46am
Hi,

I've used purchased a 970 Extreme4 motherboard. When I boot up the computer I can't get a response from my keyboards. I have an old keyboard with the purple connection, as well as brand new bluetooth logitech keyboard. They both work, since pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete will restart the PC. The problem is that nothing happens when I press F2 or Delete in order to access BIOS. 

I have cleared CMOS, but to no avail. Since the computer doesn't respond when I press F6 I also can't flash BIOS. 

Speaking of BIOS... The computer stops and says SATARaid BIOS version 5.0.35 1997-2004 Silicon Image 
Then it lists a hard drive and asks if I want to enter RAID utility (which of course  I can't) 
The strange thing here is that the latest BIOS for this motherboard is version 2.60. 

Please advice
Thanks
Jonas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic