ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temp Problem FM2A88M-HD+ R3.0 & A10-7860K

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temp Problem FM2A88M-HD+ R3.0 & A10-7860K
    Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:20am
I'm building a home/office pc for a client, but I'm having temperature issues
I have the latest BIOS pre-installed (1.5) and aside from disabling serial and parallel devices everything is using default values (even 2133 RAM clocked at default 1600). I'm using the stock cooler

On installing Win7 x64, I got HWMonitor up and started a 7-zip benchmark. As usual, I started by setting the fan speed to "silent" in BIOS (about 1100rpm). To my dismay, CPU temp went up to over 70 Celcius and fan speed never changed
So, I next try Normal fan speed (about 2100rpm). This is noisy. Again, fan speed doesn't change but temperatures were sub-70 C
Next, I try Custom and set up a typical curve (low speeds up to 55, high speeds above, as smoothly as possible)
Once again, zero response from the fan; it stayed at the initial / lowest value (10%) and refuses to speed up even with the CPU cooking at just over 80 C

So, now I'm thinking, perhaps temperature control has been turned over to software? This obviously makes no sense if one can set up a custom temp curve in BIOS, but whatever... I ain't got time, let's install this ASRock A-Tuning thing and check out the fan tool...

I run the ASRock A-Tuning software, and immediately there's a huge discrepancy between HWMonitor and A-Tuning reported temp. A-Tuning stays at approx 36C no matter what I do to the APU, HWM reports what I expect to see and also corresponds to the temp shown in BIOS...

The fan tool goes through the whole range of speeds (so nothing wrong with the fan) and then ends with the fan running very fast. The graph it produces is not good, so I manually adjust a little, set it to apply on reboot and reboot

Nothing. No change. However, now I'm getting a really strange noise from the fan. I run the tool again with similar results but the fan really sounds wrong. It's as though its switching rpms very quickly between ranges, causing a whining harmonic that wasn't there initially

Can anyone with similar experience shed any light on this mystery or do any of you have any suspicions based on what I've said? I've built too many PCs to remember, but I've never encountered a situation like this

Many thanks in advance

p.s.: I changed the fan speed by applying pressure with my finger, even stopping it, but no response from the mobo. Shouldn't the mobo force a shutdown or throttle at 80+C? Doesn't do anything...

Edited by plants - 12 Mar 2017 at 1:23am
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 2:51am
cumming from the amd a10 6800k and general use of the previous and other random so called widly unkown processers. These run very hot at the best of times i found. i did have a pro system at the time and pro air cooling but yet i still struggled to keep it cool. even with a large desk fan pointed at my case with the side off but it didnt really do much. my shut down didnt occur till well past 80+ deg i think it was more like 90 -95 

this aint really a main stream processor so on that note you will get different values from all software what you can rely on is you bios this will be 100% accurate.

mine from memory used to kick in to the higher fan speed the more it worked. so at idle it used to run normal speed then when you started working it a bit 50% load they used to kick in at doube the rate of nots

along with the "silent" note now

"silent" in graphics cards mean these run generally with a bigger fatter heat sink and no fan these are cheaper to produce for the consumer(you can still fit one yourself). that been said fan silent setting, would mean that the above fans will be limited in speed to reduce noise which is what you definitely dont want on this cpu. cooling is key with this high end apu.

as you use the stock cooler i also had the same issue with this. it was binned 30mins after boot up and a new H100 was ordered like i said before i had a 14" fan next to and pointed at my board to no affect. the board was fine with coping with the temps from the cpu as shown by no burning smell/fire etc but that didnt stop the os shutting down after 60 secs on windows with the stock cooler

hope this helps
this apu will suck your electric, get very hot and give you some insane clocks along with a decent on-board card that should run most games at low to med 30 fps i noticed.
stock coolers usually have 2 settings on or off lol

hwmonitor for me showed -26 deg O_o

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 12 Mar 2017 at 3:14am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
plants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:17am
Thanks for getting back to me on this so quick

I've got to say, my main problem is the lack of response from the fan proportional to temperature. It's not varying at all. This is meant to be a home/office pc, the CPU is rated at 65W, so it's not going to get any 'real action' except for kicking in whenever it's needed, short bursts of intense computation infrequently (huge spreadsheets, some number crunching and occasional 3D)

If it's not responding to temperature variations, should I assume there's a communication problem between mobo and APU? I.e.: either this CPU isn't supported properly, or the fan is defective?

Whaddya reckon?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:25am
i would go with the cheaper option fan, buy a high quality one or a cheap small low end water cooler will make a huge difference its not doing the job its supposed to if your getting 80-90 deg mine at 4.4 was stable at about 65-75 deg. granted my tdp was not 65 but 105 or something it still ran hot. water is guaranteed by some for 6 years and you never have to touch it, that been said i would still have a visual every year. some good cpu paste would not go a miss ether.

have faith this apu is suitable for general tasks but dont expect anything great with the on-board

i used mine for animation, programming,modding games out performed most intels at a fraction of the cost, programs i used the likes of blender, 3dsmax, Photoshop obviously the usual office suites. alot of conversion programs and burning software seem to run really well also with nice fast speeds

to put in perspective i rendered a 8000x8000 pixel img animation with 240 frames in less than 24hours which is a darn lot to render over and over lol

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 12 Mar 2017 at 3:53am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
plants View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 1:24am
Thanks for all the extraneous info, but you're really not helping!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 2:14am
ok ill make it as simple as i can
I believe amd chips run 65 deg there or there about the fact you have 80 deg and aint even loaded. anything major means your cooking the cpu pure and simple.  it will not operate like you want at 80 degs c

check cpu paste 
check seating
check fan 
if one or all three fail you have an issue 

you stated 
"CPU cooking at just over 80 C"
this is excessive heat  under full load this should be stable at no more than 70 deg c

it is a black edition cpu for a reason.

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 13 Mar 2017 at 2:17am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 3:00am
Originally posted by plants plants wrote:

I run the ASRock A-Tuning software, and immediately there's a huge discrepancy between HWMonitor and A-Tuning reported temp. A-Tuning stays at approx 36C no matter what I do to the APU, HWM reports what I expect to see and also corresponds to the temp shown in BIOS...

Do not run two monitoring apps at the same time.

When two apps try to access the chip and it's data you will see exactly what you are.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic