ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen board, no post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Thanks. Interesting.

One thing I notice concerning Ryzen memory is that other than the seemingly req'd CR of 1, CAS, RAS to CAS, and RAS Precharge are all represented by the same cycle/latency.

That G.Skill F4-2400C15D-16GVR kit of yours, while not Ryzen "certified' by G.Skill,, does meet this assumption(exempting the CR2):
F4-2400C15D-16GVR
15  CAS
15 RAS to CAS
15 RAS Precharge
2 CR/N/T

Do the G.Skill operate while/with a Command Rate of 1 being forced in the BIOS?

Odd too. That Patriot PVE48G213C4GY stick is 14-14-14-(I can't locate just what CR they are) is assumed to meet Ryzen "specs' but that doesn't necessarily rule out any incompatibility chip wise.

Did you move this one Patriot stick across all 4 slots and still not work/boot?

I did try the Patriot in all 4 RAM slots of both boards. I will dig in to the Bios and try CR 1 in the morning.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by patchfile patchfile wrote:

So the wife and I ordered parts from Newegg to build 2 Ryzen computers. We only use Asrock motherboards and Newegg would only let us preorder one of each board so we had to get different boards. Not a big deal, I got the Killer/ac and she got the PRO4.

My parts all got here first and I am up and running with no major issues for the last few days. The PRO4 showed up yesterday and I put her computer together but it would not post.

I spent all day on it. I tried different PSU's, GPU's, RAM. Put My CPU on her board and her CPU on my board, both worked fine on the Killer/ac but nothing worked on the PRO4. At one point I dug out an old motherboard speaker and plugged it in to hear the error codes and was met with silence. I even took everything off the board except the CPU and heatsink and still got no error beeps. Oh well, has to be a bad board, so I got an RMA number and shipped it back to Newegg.

Fast forward to this morning and I get a call from my Brother-in-law who also ordered the same parts as me to build his new gaming rig. He also has the Killer/ac, and he is having the exact same issue as the PRO4, no post, no error beeps, nothing.

I have been doing this for a long time, I built my first computer in 1993 and I build 3 or 4 computers a year for people who depend on me for tech support and gaming information. Having two boards from the same manufacturer both refuse to post or give an error code seems like too much of a coincidence.  

I am wondering if there is some trick to these new Ryzen boards that I am missing. Did we just get super unlucky with two DOA boards? Or am I missing something?

I appreciate any information you can share.

Unfortunately, the default setting for the Boot Beep option in the UEFI/BIOS, Boot screen, is Disabled.

So until you can get into the UEFI/BIOS and enable that option, you won't get any beeps from the POST beep speaker. Confused  That is the default setting of the Boot Beep option of every ASRock board's UEFI/BIOS I have used.

That is a choice I don't understand, since having the POST beep speaker enabled when a board is used for the first time would be the most useful. We then have situations like this where the user reacts in the only way they find logical. I want to be clear that I don't blame you in any way.

Memory compatibility as a function of UEFI/BIOS support, which seems to be the case between the two boards (assuming nothing else is wrong, such as bent pins in the CPU socket with Intel systems, that does not apply here) remains a mystery to me. It is also something the user can do nothing about to fix on their own, short of a UEFI/BIOS update. That is, if they are able to do that.

We have struggled with DDR4 memory compatibility with the three earlier DDR4 compatible systems, Intel's X99, and their 100 and 200 series chipset boards. Ryzen systems have initially seemed to be even worse regarding DDR4 memory compatibility. That may really be caused by the existing base of DDR4 products being solely designed for Intel systems. Plus Ryzen is so new, we are still learning its memory compatibility requirements.

The bottom line regarding DDR4 memory is, we must be certain it is compatible with the system we have. When things like this happen, how do we expect users to react?

silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 11:48pm
Created account to add my problems to the list. First the specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
Asrock 370 Killer SLI/ac
32GB dominator plat straight off the list at asrock
Dual Geforce GTX 1080's
Creative labs sound card
Water cooling by EK waterblocks
Lamptron fan controller
SATA Blu-Ray
3 - 1TB ssd
EVGA g2 1000w power supply

Problem...everything is installed, but nothing runs. Push power button and the only thing that comes up is a "breathing" red LED surrounding the south bridge. Very frustrated...a lot of money in this system. I tried the clear CMOS, remove battery, etc...didn't work. I've let it sit for an hour hoping the power fairy would fly by. I can't figure out if it's the Pwr Sply or the board.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:00am
Welcome to the Ryzen thread Wink

First up I would strip that thing down and just install 1 gpu, 1 stick of RAM and the CPU. No drives or add in devices. Then before you put power to the PSU clear CMOS. 

That is a hell of a lot of components that could be interfering with post so lets get that down to the bare minimum.

That is going to be a beastly system Thumbs Up
silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:10am
OK, 1 RAM stick in A2 in, 1 GPU in, no fans, no SC, no SSDs, nada. Push power and it blinks 5 times then starts breathing. 
silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:11am
Couls it be the PSU? It came from my old system AMD 990FX Fatality board. I'm lost..and I'm a retired Information technology guru :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:16am
What is the PSU model and how old is it?

When in doubt, swap it out Tongue

It may also be worth pulling the CMOS battery for 20 mins or so with the system powered off.

Man, I don't miss my days in IT, more headaches than it's worth Ouch Now I scratch the IT itch as a hobby, much more enjoyable. 
silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:20am
Bought the pwr sply 2/11/16. It is the EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 gold. With all the stuff I had hooked up, could I have overloaded the psu. I did a v & w count and thought I was safe. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:18am
This may or may not apply, depending on from whom or where you purchased the Supernova 1000 G2.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00803/

I post this as I can envision someone offloading a faulty one in a For Sale thread or on an auction site.

Heck, they may or may not have known, only that it, the PSU, was the fault of THEIR issue too.

Edited by wardog - 17 Mar 2017 at 1:20am
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:47am
Just wanted to chime in and make sure people who are failing to POST have also unplugged all headers: HD Audio, USB 2.0/3.0.. anything not critical for system function.

I had an issue with a front panel USB3.0/memory card add-in that was giving me hell. I overlooked it as a possible source of the problem, and it took hours of beating my head against the wall before I finally stripped out everything. Booted fine after that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic