ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen board, no post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Just wanted to chime in and make sure people who are failing to POST have also unplugged all headers: HD Audio, USB 2.0/3.0.. anything not critical for system function.

I had an issue with a front panel USB3.0/memory card add-in that was giving me hell. I overlooked it as a possible source of the problem, and it took hours of beating my head against the wall before I finally stripped out everything. Booted fine after that.

This is a very good point. 

I did remove all headers and used a flat head screwdriver to short the power button connector to power the motherboard on. I do NOT recommend this method, it is dangerous for your motherboard and components. You can permanently damage them if you are not extremely careful.
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by silent silent wrote:

Created account to add my problems to the list. First the specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 1800x
Asrock 370 Killer SLI/ac
32GB dominator plat straight off the list at asrock
Dual Geforce GTX 1080's
Creative labs sound card
Water cooling by EK waterblocks
Lamptron fan controller
SATA Blu-Ray
3 - 1TB ssd
EVGA g2 1000w power supply

Problem...everything is installed, but nothing runs. Push power button and the only thing that comes up is a "breathing" red LED surrounding the south bridge. Very frustrated...a lot of money in this system. I tried the clear CMOS, remove battery, etc...didn't work. I've let it sit for an hour hoping the power fairy would fly by. I can't figure out if it's the Pwr Sply or the board.

Mine powered up. All the fans came on, the HDD's spun up and even the DVD player made that clicking noise. Just nothing was making it to the monitor.

Your issue sounds like a PSU problem. As others have already mentioned. 

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:02am

I had an issue with a front panel USB3.0/memory card add-in that was giving me hell.

Most definitely.

These can halt a computer in it's tracks. Pains in the azz they are.
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 8:04am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I had an issue with a front panel USB3.0/memory card add-in that was giving me hell.

Most definitely.

These can halt a computer in it's tracks. Pains in the azz they are.

Years ago I did warranty work on an HP desktop that would not power on if the keyboard was plugged in. Any keyboard, I tried several. Was something wrong with the PS/2 port I guess.
silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:15pm
OK, 1 stick of RAM, 1 GPU, 1 CPU power, 1 Fan attached, 1 pump attached. New power supply borrowed from a friend, Rosewill 1000. Does same thing. No post,nothing but 5 flasshes of the red led then it breathes- let sit fro 30 min.  Does that mean it has to be the board?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:26pm

OK, 1 stick of RAM, 1 GPU, 1 CPU power, 1 Fan attached, 1 pump attached. New power supply borrowed from a friend, Rosewill 1000. Does same thing. No post,nothing but 5 flasshes of the red led then it breathes- let sit fro 30 min.  Does that mean it has to be the board?

Sorry but must check the basics. Is the 4/8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board? At the top, left hand side of the board? Essential or the CPU will not operate. Is that the "1 CPU power"?

What LED is flashing five times? Where on the board? Is that the chipset heatsink flashing and then breathing? If so, that means nothing.

We are not at the board being bad yet IMO. Since you changed your hardware quite a bit, have you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the board's jumper yet? Please do that.

Is your memory the CMD32GX4M4B3000C15 model? Or the 2800 or 2666 kits? What memory slot are you using? Use an A2 or B2 slot with one DIMM.
silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:00am
Yes, correct CPU power attached. Top left corner of MB.
The southbridge LED blinks 5 times then goes into the "breathing" LED style option
Cleared the CMOS so many times it's shiny
removed battery for 10 min
Memory is CMD32GX4m4a2666c15 - 1 stick in A2

silent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:51am
Fixed it! Bad ground in the backplate....
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 7:36am

Woot! Good job!
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 10:34pm

Glad you found the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic