ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen board, no post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:23am
I accidentally found it. I had both sides off the  case, and accidentally touched the backplate..and it turned on. So, I turned it off and straightened the rubber gasket..and voila' it worked. Thanks for all your input tho... :) 
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:55am
Problem finally solved. I have been testing the Patriot RAM with every BIOS version, including the Beta versions.

As of 3/31/2017, using the Flash BIOS over network option in the Tools section of the BIOS, I was able to update to BIOS version 2.00 on the X370 Killer/ac and BIOS version 2.20 on the B350 Fatal1ty K4. Now the Patriot Viper 2133 (PVE48G213C4GY) 8GB works on both motherboards.

I manually set the RAM speed and timings before shutting it down, then installed the Patriot RAM. The boot cycle restarted to black screen 3 times, I assume it was trying to find an XMP profile for the new RAM. After those 3 restarts it loaded up just fine. I was able to see the RAM in the BIOS and it is working so far in Windows 10.

I had faith in ASRock, I knew they would get this problem solved eventually.

Trender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 7:18am
Mine couldn't post it was just new and what it fixed it was moving the jumpers and so clearing the cmos
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by patchfile patchfile wrote:

Problem finally solved. I have been testing the Patriot RAM with every BIOS version, including the Beta versions.

As of 3/31/2017, using the Flash BIOS over network option in the Tools section of the BIOS, I was able to update to BIOS version 2.00 on the X370 Killer/ac and BIOS version 2.20 on the B350 Fatal1ty K4. Now the Patriot Viper 2133 (PVE48G213C4GY) 8GB works on both motherboards.

I manually set the RAM speed and timings before shutting it down, then installed the Patriot RAM. The boot cycle restarted to black screen 3 times, I assume it was trying to find an XMP profile for the new RAM. After those 3 restarts it loaded up just fine. I was able to see the RAM in the BIOS and it is working so far in Windows 10.

Your Patriot Viper memory, model number PVE48G213C4GY, which we can check in the link below, is to quote, "Built for the latest Intel platforms...":

https://patriotmemory.com/product/viper-elite-series-ddr4-8gb-2133mhz-gray-2/

Your memory works as you know, but the latest information regarding using DDR4 memory designed for Intel systems is, the XMP profiles will not work for the Ryzen memory controller. That is really not surprising, as they are different systems, and the XMP data is configured for Intel systems.

You said you set the memory timings and speed manually, which is what you must do when the XMP data is not applicable to the system you are using with your memory. You guessed the three restarts (POST was run three times, for memory training, or trying different timings) was to find an XMP profile.

Did you check what the memory timings were set to now that the memory is working? Is it what you set it to manually? Of course at a speed of 1866 or 2133, the usual stock/default speed of DDR4 memory, the standard JEDEC SPD data would be used, not an XMP profile. Or was an XMP profile available for 2133? That is not clear on the Patriot page about this memory.

The standard SPD data could work at 2133. Other models of this memory at speeds up to 3200 would have an XMP profile, but again the XMP profiles of memory designed for Intel systems are not compatible with Ryzen systems.

Run CPU-Z and click the Memory tab to see the current timings being used. Click the SPD tab to check the JEDEC SPD data, and the XMP profile data.

The problem ASRock solved was working around, at least for this model of memory, the timing data designed for Intel systems.
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by patchfile patchfile wrote:

Your Patriot Viper memory, model number PVE48G213C4GY, which we can check in the link below, is to quote, "Built for the latest Intel platforms...":

https://patriotmemory.com/product/viper-elite-series-ddr4-8gb-2133mhz-gray-2/

Your memory works as you know, but the latest information regarding using DDR4 memory designed for Intel systems is, the XMP profiles will not work for the Ryzen memory controller. That is really not surprising, as they are different systems, and the XMP data is configured for Intel systems.

You said you set the memory timings and speed manually, which is what you must do when the XMP data is not applicable to the system you are using with your memory. You guessed the three restarts (POST was run three times, for memory training, or trying different timings) was to find an XMP profile.

Did you check what the memory timings were set to now that the memory is working? Is it what you set it to manually? Of course at a speed of 1866 or 2133, the usual stock/default speed of DDR4 memory, the standard JEDEC SPD data would be used, not an XMP profile. Or was an XMP profile available for 2133? That is not clear on the Patriot page about this memory.

The standard SPD data could work at 2133. Other models of this memory at speeds up to 3200 would have an XMP profile, but again the XMP profiles of memory designed for Intel systems are not compatible with Ryzen systems.

Run CPU-Z and click the Memory tab to see the current timings being used. Click the SPD tab to check the JEDEC SPD data, and the XMP profile data.

The problem ASRock solved was working around, at least for this model of memory, the timing data designed for Intel systems.

I feel like I was just put on trial by you, not sure why, but I will try to answer.

I ordered the CPU's, motherboards and RAM before there was a QVL list on the ASRock website. I took a shot in the dark for my preorders. I kept the RAM because I believed ASRock would release a BIOS that would eventually work, and I did not want to pay a restocking fee. 

Yes, I set the memory timings and speed manually, it is an old habit. I don't really know why it powered on to a black screen three times before it finally posted. But when I checked the memory settings after the 3rd boot, my timings and speed setting were unchanged, but there was an available XMP profile for the Patriot RAM. I know this because the G.Skill RAM timings and speed are different than the Patriot, and the XMP profile was showing the Patriot settings; 14-14-14-32 @2133

I explained what I did, step by step, in case someone wanted to duplicate it. I was not trying to be authoritative, just thorough. I have never worked with XMP profiles before, I assumed it was the way memory was identified by the BIOS now days. I can see I was wrong. 

CPU-Z screens you asked for http://imgur.com/dVxsxdZ

You seem intent on pointing out my poor choice of RAM, but as I said, none of this information was available on February 22nd when I ordered it. 

Edited by patchfile - 02 Apr 2017 at 8:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic