ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen board, no post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen board, no post
    Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:41am
So the wife and I ordered parts from Newegg to build 2 Ryzen computers. We only use Asrock motherboards and Newegg would only let us preorder one of each board so we had to get different boards. Not a big deal, I got the Killer/ac and she got the PRO4.

My parts all got here first and I am up and running with no major issues for the last few days. The PRO4 showed up yesterday and I put her computer together but it would not post.

I spent all day on it. I tried different PSU's, GPU's, RAM. Put My CPU on her board and her CPU on my board, both worked fine on the Killer/ac but nothing worked on the PRO4. At one point I dug out an old motherboard speaker and plugged it in to hear the error codes and was met with silence. I even took everything off the board except the CPU and heatsink and still got no error beeps. Oh well, has to be a bad board, so I got an RMA number and shipped it back to Newegg.

Fast forward to this morning and I get a call from my Brother-in-law who also ordered the same parts as me to build his new gaming rig. He also has the Killer/ac, and he is having the exact same issue as the PRO4, no post, no error beeps, nothing.

I have been doing this for a long time, I built my first computer in 1993 and I build 3 or 4 computers a year for people who depend on me for tech support and gaming information. Having two boards from the same manufacturer both refuse to post or give an error code seems like too much of a coincidence.  

I am wondering if there is some trick to these new Ryzen boards that I am missing. Did we just get super unlucky with two DOA boards? Or am I missing something?

I appreciate any information you can share.
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:10am
buy a pci diagnostic card £5 it will tell you all. it will post error code. check error code manual hope it dont say no-CPU or the like and then contact the required vendor.

if it dont post boards dead,if it do you get a code to give a bit more info. these check variable amounts of stuff before post if your having issues. 

pros easy to use
        takes mins

cons usually results end up followed by tears in most cases 

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 12 Mar 2017 at 4:23am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:56am
I will definitely pick one of these up.

But I am still interested if others have seen issues like these on the new Ryzen boards. 

Edited by patchfile - 12 Mar 2017 at 4:56am
Playtoreview View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Playtoreview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 1:51pm
Just registered to post that I am having the same issues. No post. No display. Tried everything. Don't think these boards were ready for a retail release.

Might try to flash it with a bootable USB drive but frustrating and time wasting.
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm
Thank you for taking the time to join and reply. 

Both boards on my end have been sent back to Newegg for replacement. Good luck flashing yours, let us know if it works.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 3:32pm
I am afraid I can't help much here as I am still waiting to set up my own Ryzen system. From everything I have read about the webz though it seems RAM is a common issue. If the BIOS revision on the effected boards is an early or prerelease version the board may not be compatible with the RAM being used, even if the same RAM works on another board. It should be easy enough to check the sticker on the RAM for it's version number. Sadly this does not help at all as the only thing you can do is try different RAM until one works then flash the BIOS. It is much simpler and less stressful to just RMA and get a working replacement at this point.

Ryzen launched very suddenly and we have already seen a lot of issues from all board partners regarding compatibility and bugs. Those buying into Ryzen now sadly have to pay the "Early Adopters Tax". EAT, because it eats away at your nerves and often wallet LOL EAT is nothing new but seldom has there been such a new platform on so many levels. New socket, CPU architecture, PCH and all that brings with it. It is certainly an exciting time but early adopters need to be prepared for these kinds of issues.
formula383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:39pm
Just thought i would add i have a asrock x370 killer sli/ac board and it worked fine out of the box and died only a few hours after use. might be just a corrupt bios idk but looks like i have to rma board as the bios chip looks like it is not removable?? :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 4:48pm
No one is using socketed BIOS ROMs anymore, sadly it seems they are no longer being made and existing stocks are insufficient for the demand..... 
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 12:55pm
That really sucks about your Killer/ac. I hope your RMA goes quickly.
patchfile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patchfile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I am afraid I can't help much here as I am still waiting to set up my own Ryzen system. From everything I have read about the webz though it seems RAM is a common issue. If the BIOS revision on the effected boards is an early or prerelease version the board may not be compatible with the RAM being used, even if the same RAM works on another board. It should be easy enough to check the sticker on the RAM for it's version number. Sadly this does not help at all as the only thing you can do is try different RAM until one works then flash the BIOS. It is much simpler and less stressful to just RMA and get a working replacement at this point.

Ryzen launched very suddenly and we have already seen a lot of issues from all board partners regarding compatibility and bugs. Those buying into Ryzen now sadly have to pay the "Early Adopters Tax". EAT, because it eats away at your nerves and often wallet LOL EAT is nothing new but seldom has there been such a new platform on so many levels. New socket, CPU architecture, PCH and all that brings with it. It is certainly an exciting time but early adopters need to be prepared for these kinds of issues.

It has always been my policy to never buy a new platform. It needs to be 6 months old or more so that I avoid the early adopter tax. But this time around it all fell in to place that I either bought Ryzen early, or risk not having the money in a few months. So we bit this time. I really feel sorry for those building their first computer, or the less than tech savvy who just want the latest and greatest.

It is my hope that this thread can be a place for people to learn and hopefully one of us will find a solution.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic