ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 970 Pro3 R2.0 unsupported CPU after firmware updat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 Pro3 R2.0 unsupported CPU after firmware updat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kub0x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 Pro3 R2.0 unsupported CPU after firmware updat
    Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:54pm
Hello,

today after updating the firmware version of this motherboard a message is displayed after boot process saying that my CPU is unsupported. The latest firmware that I update is version 2.80, the firmware version I was using was 1.80.

Then I tried to download the oldest firmware version provided by the official website on asrock.com. The version provided is 2.60, so I tried to update via InstantFlash utility, the process was fine but my CPU is still unsupported.

I'm writing this post since I want to rollback to the previous firmware version I was using back then, the version 1.80, but I cannot find anywhere. It would be nice if anyone can give me a download link to firmware version 1.80 so I can rollback using InstantFlash utility. Also it would be nice to know why updating the firmware version to its new yields my CPU unsupported. My CPU is AMD-FX 9370.

EDIT: I've been able to rollback to 1.80 since I've found it in http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Asrock/ASRock-970-Pro3-R20-BIOS-180.shtml. Everything is working fine again, but the question is still opened because I still don't know why new versions of the firmware yield my CPU unsupported (maybe microcontroller code update). I'll keep trying newer versions until It doesn't work again, since security is one of my priorities with this kind of issues.

Kind regards!

Edited by kub0x - 13 Mar 2017 at 7:22pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:08pm
CPU support for the FX 9k series was discontinued on most 970 based boards because of VRM overheating issues. Even with the manuals stating that additional airflow over the VRMs was required many users failed to heed the warning and were complaining about blown boards, poor performance etc. Not being able to re-engineer boards that have already been sold they removed support. This issue was compounded by how hot FX 9k CPUs run and the tendency toward open loop and AiO water cooling which deprives the VRMs of airflow even more. 

Ultimately I think support was pulled after there were reports of VRM sections catching fire without adequate cooling. ASRock took the only measure they could, if you can't ensure the end user uses the product correctly and incorrect usage could cause harm to the user and their possessions then remove the problem.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but that's how it is. 
kub0x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kub0x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:51pm
Thanks for your reply. I understand the Asrock policy about this issue since it could harm even more hardware pieces from the end-users. I was thinking that the uncompatibility was caused by other issue.

Do you know which is the latest firmware version of this board that supports FX 9k series? Currenty I'm using 1.80, but it'd be nice to update it to a newer one that is compatible and doesn't harm any hardware piece.

Regards.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:57pm
Generally if the system is stable and running well there isn't any need to update. Many of the updates we see are to add new CPU and RAM support. If your RAM and CPU are supported and running to specification you don't need to worry about updates.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 10:19pm
What Xaltar said covers the FX-9000 series usage on any AM3+ board very well.

Any FX processor whose TDP is north (or is that south?) of 140W is considered not supported by any AM3+ board whose CPU VRM stage is not robust enough to provide the power they need easily.

The 220W TDP of the FX 9000 series qualifies them as not supported on boards like yours, with its 4 + 1 phase CPU VRM design, without a heat sink. One of the times when AMD's "anything goes on any board" way of doing things came back to haunt them, sorry to say.

AMD added their minimum requirements for using an FX 9000 series processor at some point, which you can see on the information page of this board, scroll down to find it:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme9/index.asp

Also check the VRM specs for this board, as an example.

The message is a warning, removing it does not change anything regarding a board's inability to properly support an FX 9000 series processor adequately. I suggest you have adequate air movement across the board in the area around the CPU socket, as noted in the CPU support list for your board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=CPU

The answer to your question about which firmware version supports the FX 9000 series is none of them.

Edited by parsec - 13 Mar 2017 at 10:20pm
kub0x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kub0x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 12:16am
Thanks you both for your replies.

@Xaltar: My concern on updating UEFI firmware version was about security issues being patched. Do you know if any sec problem has been fixed in any of these patches? If not the case then I won't be longer interested on firmware updating.

@parsec: Then my CPU isn't suitable for my board since the aforementioned has more TDP than supported by my board, so this overheating has to be covered with a good heat sink. Well in three years of usage I haven't faced a single problem caused by this phenomena (I have a good heat sink). What surprises me is the "anything goes on any board" when talking about AMD. When I bought the equipment I remember seeing my board being compatible with the CPU, but I'm afaid I'm not able to give the exact reference (website) where I found the info. Finally, is also surprising the fact that no firmware version supports my CPU series, then why does it work? I think Xaltar's first reply covers this, right? They tried to manage FX 9k series but failing mantaining it?

Regards!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 1:52am
The issue came down from AMD, this is what Parsec was referring to. At the time these and many other 970 boards (from all manufacturers) were designed they were designed to AMD's stipulated power requirements which were supposed to be compatible with even the FX 9k series. AMD later discovered that these specs were not adequate and board partners were forced to take action. ASRock removed support from boards that had the "specified power design" from AMD. Some boards may have had beefier power systems and not been effected but support was pulled from all the standard spec models.

AMD has always operated on the philosophy of you can use any AM3/+ CPU on any AM3/+ board, this failed with the FX 9k series that is best used on a 990FX chipset with beefier power designs. 

As for security updates, most updates should have already been added by 1.8 but I don't have access to that information, the descriptions on the BIOS download page is all we have access to, same as you. If you really want to know you can contact tech support and inquire.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Just because support was pulled doesn't mean you can't use the FX 9k, as you have seen with your own setup. It does likely mean that the lifespan of the board will be decreased. Proper cooling on the VRMs will help that but as AMD came to discover, the VRM section was not designed for a 220w TDP load Wink 

[edit] So I have just been informed that I was wrong, AMD never certified 4+1 VRM boards for the FX 9k series, the list of approved boards was apparently quite a short one consisting of high end 990FX boards.

Thanks to Wardog for the info, our resident AMD guru Smile

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Mar 2017 at 3:35am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 3:36am
Bump

Updated my last post.
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:49am
list of compatible boards are here for the 9370 and 9570

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 14 Mar 2017 at 5:50am
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 5:53am
Quote A socket AM3+ motherboard that supports processors with a 220 Watt TDP. As of September 15, 2015, the compatible motherboard list is as follows:

Yup, that's where I fact checked Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic