ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Extreme 4 Ram compatibility Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinitum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Extreme 4 Ram compatibility Issue
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:07am
Hi i recently purchased the Extreme 4 7th gen and installed Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 mhz (CMK16GX4M2B3200c16w) in dual channel mode enabled XMP in bios and it would not boot with these settings kept on reverting to stock settings 

i then put it in single channel mode turned on XMP and it worked fine is there anyway i can run in dual channel XMP or will i have to wait and hope they release a BIOS update?

Any feedback would be awesome thanks.

Edited by Infinitum - 16 Mar 2017 at 1:08am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:29am
1st, use the below to check that this memory is compatible.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

Too, it'd be helpful know what your system is made up of.

Infinitum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinitum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 1:40am
Yes sorry i have 

z270 Extreme 4

Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 16GB (8x2)

gigabyte 1070FE

H100i

i have updated the bios already hoping it would fix it seems not,
and the list on the corsair website doesn't even contain this mobo i believe.

Edited by Infinitum - 16 Mar 2017 at 1:46am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Infinitum Infinitum wrote:

Yes sorry i have 

z270 Extreme 4

Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 16GB (8x2)

gigabyte 1070FE

H100i

i have updated the bios already hoping it would fix it seems not,
and the list on the corsair website doesn't even contain this mobo i believe.

You are right, Corsair does not have any ASRock Z270 boards in their memory compatibility list. Your memory is listed in the Memory QVL list of your board.

Memory over clocks above the Intel specs for Kaby Lake processors (2400) are not guaranteed, but usually DDR4 at 3200 should not be impossible to reach. We have found that the XMP profiles for DDR4 memory do not work well for some reason.

What you can do is go into the DRAM Configuration screen, and don't select the XMP profile (set it to Auto). Instead use the DRAM Tweaker feature in that screen to set the basic memory parameters and voltage. Just check off each item in the 3200 list, or try a lower speed, and apply them.

At the bottom of the DRAM Tweaker screen, find the MRC Fast Boot option, and set it to Disabled. That will cause memory training to occur during POST, when the board starts or restarts. That helps with memory compatibility.

You should also either select the Load UEFI defaults in the Exit screen first before using the DRAM Tweaker feature, or clear the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on the board.
milo88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:29am
Hi all, this is my first post in here. I have the same issue on my Asrock Z270 Gaming K6 board with the same corsair memory set (2x8GB 3200 MHz CL16). The system did not post when XMP was turned on. The BIOS updates did not help. The system was able to boot with memory clock @ 3066 MHz and other settings the same as in XMP profile set manually. What I've managed to do was to go up with the DRAM Voltage from 1.35 (default) by 0.01 V up until I got to 1.38 (fast boot turned off, memory clocks set manually @3200 and CL16 - same as in XMP profile), at 1.38 the system booted successfully. But when I've checked the voltages in HW Monitor I've noticed that the board had set the DRAM Voltage to 1.4 instead of 1.38 that I set. So I went back to BIOS and went back to 1.35 (default) by lowering the voltage 0.005 V each time, and each time I've lowered the voltage the system booted with no problems. The real DRAM Voltage is now 1.368-1.376 (with manual setting @ 1.35). I'm just running memtest - first pass and no errors, after it finishes second pass with no errors I will try to lower the DRAM voltage even more to find out if I can run it at even better settings. I will edit this post as soon as I'm done with my testing. Hope it will help people who are also having problems with Corsair memory on Asrock boards.

EDIT: I've managed to make it boot @3200 1.352V and run cinebench but Prime95 returns errors on all tests. Also the motherboard sets the Uncore to 1.28V when set on Auto which i find way too high. Also I've reset BIOS to default settings which sets memory to 2133MHz and DRAM voltage to 1.368V (DDR4 standard is 1.2V) which I find unacceptable. It will probably take me some time to figure out if it's the bad RAM, CPU or the motherboard.

Edited by milo88 - 17 Apr 2017 at 8:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic