ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 1800X Not Boosting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen 1800X Not Boosting
    Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:05am
I've been running some benchmarks and have noticed that my 1800X is not boosting.  It's pretty much stuck at 3.6GHz.

I am running the high performance power profile.  I have the Fatal1ty Pro Gamer.

Any suggestions?
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 4:43am
What BIOS version are you running?

Have you set the "Power Mode" under the "OC" tab in the BIOS to "OC Mode"?

What are you using the cool the CPU?

Would be easier for people to help you if you provided a detailed rundown of your setup/configuration..
Nejaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:03am
I've installed v1.55 BIOS.  I do have the power mode set to OC.

I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper T4 heatsink.  Max temps under load have been around 70C.  This will be replaced with Cryorig A80 once the ship me the AM4 mount.

My CPU-Z should have the remaining specs.

I do have Win10 HPET enabled.  Running the default Ryzen Master Profile.

I have clocked my RAM to 2933, but have not touched the CPU settings in the BIOS.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Nejaa Nejaa wrote:

I've been running some benchmarks and have noticed that my 1800X is not boosting.  It's pretty much stuck at 3.6GHz.

I am running the high performance power profile.  I have the Fatal1ty Pro Gamer.

Any suggestions?

What program are you using to monitor the CPU core speeds?

You said the CPU is "... pretty much stuck at 3.6GHz". Does that mean you see at least one core above 3.6GHz?

Ryzen does not Turbo all the cores up to the maximum Turbo speed. I believe it is only one core that will boost to 4.0GHz, at stock CPU BIOS settings. Intel processors work the same way, not all cores will Turbo boost up to the maximum speed with stock CPU settings.
Nejaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nejaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:15am
Quote What program are you using to monitor the CPU core speeds?

You said the CPU is "... pretty much stuck at 3.6GHz". Does that mean you see at least one core above 3.6GHz?

Ryzen does not Turbo all the cores up to the maximum Turbo speed. I believe it is only one core that will boost to 4.0GHz, at stock CPU BIOS settings. Intel processors work the same way, not all cores will Turbo boost up to the maximum speed with stock CPU settings.

Edited:  I found the CPU-Z HWMonitor as it shows individual core speeds.  The cores are boosting to 4GHz for brief moments.  Certainly not keeping their speed there during benchmarking.

On another note: I've noticed that the single thread Cinebench benchmark jumps over all 8 cores.  It doesn't stick with a single core.  1. Is it supposed to do that?  2. Wouldn't that be contributing to lower scores?

Edited by Nejaa - 17 Mar 2017 at 12:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic