ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build using Z270 Pro4, not booting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build using Z270 Pro4, not booting
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 1:21am
Just finished my first attempt at a build a few days ago and unfortunately I've been having issues.

When I turn the PC on, the case, CPU and GPU fans begin working, the GPU lights up but nothing else happens and I get a "no signal" on my screen. The PC doesn't turn off but just remains in this state. The PC makes no beeps but I don't think the box includes speakers because I haven't found any speaker connectors to connect to the motherboard.

After searching online I've checked all plugs multiple times, removed the GPU and used the motherboard's HDMI, DV-I and VGA outputs (haven't put the GPU back in yet as I try various things), tried moving the RAM stick to different slots and booting with no RAM at all (still no beeps), cleared CMOS and removed the CMOS battery for about an hour before returning the Clear CMOS jumper to its default place and replacing the battery, pulled the power cable and kept the power button pressed for a few seconds (which apparently worked for some people).

Today I tried using a 8GB 2400 Corsair Vengeance RAM stick but still no luck.

I was told that I might have to update the BIOS to a newer version since the newer versions fix some compatibility issues but since I can't boot up the PC I can't update the BIOS either.

I'm at a loss, really. Is my motherboard broken? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

My specs are:

• Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4

• CPU: i5-7600K

• RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666

• GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB

• PSU: 620 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Non-Modular

• Box: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

• HDD and 240GB SSD

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by dimpole dimpole wrote:

Just finished my first attempt at a build a few days ago and unfortunately I've been having issues.

When I turn the PC on, the case, CPU and GPU fans begin working, the GPU lights up but nothing else happens and I get a "no signal" on my screen. The PC doesn't turn off but just remains in this state. The PC makes no beeps but I don't think the box includes speakers because I haven't found any speaker connectors to connect to the motherboard.

After searching online I've checked all plugs multiple times,

I must ask as even experienced builder overlook it in a rush to fire it up the first time. And, by your desc ..........

Have you connected BOTH the 24-pin power on the rt edge _AND_ the 8-pin CPU power at the upper left?

What is the P/N of the stick of Corsair?

dimpole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:18am
Haha, yes, I have connected them both. Smile They both seem to be plugged in tightly as far as I can see.

The p/n for my 2666 RAM is: CMK8GX4M1A2666C16 and for the 2400 I tried today: CMK8GX4M1A2400C16.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:25am
Don't laugh. That "experienced builder" has been me many a time. Or, I forget to plug that modular cable into the PSU at the other end of it Tongue

So long as you're sure the 8-pin didn't become a 4-pin in missing half it's connection .........

....... then I'd say it's time to do an out of the case minimal build, with the MB on a bare cardboard box.

If it doesn't boot after the above, it gets even uglier.

dimpole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:18am
I was afraid I'd forget something too so I went veeeeery slowly, following instructions, double checking everything, especially since it was my first time building a complete PC and I was a bit nervous. The only thing I haven't connected anywhere from my PSU (which is non-modular) is the floppy cable; no idea why there is still one of those though.

What should I leave connected for the minimal build outside the box? Just the CPU and RAM? (and the screen) Should I remove the CPU cooler as well?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:58am
CPU+Cooler, RAM and power supply. Obviously you will need to hook up the monitor and a keyboard too Wink

Never power on a system without a CPU cooler installed on your CPU. It probably won't fry it outright but it could damage it or drastically shorten it's lifespan.

Make sure you have the CPU 8 pin connected to the CPU 8 pin connector on the board not a PCIe 8 pin. You would think it ins't possible as the connectors are molded differently but it is surprisingly easy to force it, so much so you may just think the connector is just particularly snug. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 7:30am
I dunno. This issue is weird. Grabbing at straws now until the results are in on what happens after it's built outside the case.

You have power supplied to the RX 480 via its own 6-pin PCIe connector, right?

Go back and check the polarities of the case wiring to the MBs System Panel Header.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by dimpole dimpole wrote:

After searching online I've checked all plugs multiple times, removed the GPU and used the motherboard's HDMI, DV-I and VGA outputs (haven't put the GPU back in yet as I try various things), tried moving the RAM stick to different slots and booting with no RAM at all (still no beeps), cleared CMOS and removed the CMOS battery for about an hour before returning the Clear CMOS jumper to its default place and replacing the battery, pulled the power cable and kept the power button pressed for a few seconds (which apparently worked for some people).

Today I tried using a 8GB 2400 Corsair Vengeance RAM stick but still no luck.

I was told that I might have to update the BIOS to a newer version since the newer versions fix some compatibility issues but since I can't boot up the PC I can't update the BIOS either.

I'm at a loss, really. Is my motherboard broken? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

My specs are:

• Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Pro4

• CPU: i5-7600K

• RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666

• GPU: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB

• PSU: 620 Watt Seasonic S12II Bronze Non-Modular

• Box: Phanteks Enthoo Pro

• HDD and 240GB SSD

Your board and all ASRock boards do not have a built in POST beep speaker. You must connect your own beep speaker to the correct header on the board. Those speakers sometimes are provided with the accessories of a PC case, otherwise you'll need to buy one.

Regardless, the POST beep option is set to disabled by default in the UEFI/BIOS. So until you can get into the UEFI/BIOS and set that option to Enabled, and connect a POST beep speaker, you won't hear any POST beeps.

You do not need to connect the floppy drive cable to anything. Cables from the PSU are only used when necessary, you certainly do not need to connect all of them to something. That has me wondering, have you connected every cable from that PSU to something on the board or other hardware? I highly doubt you could use every cable from the PSU with the hardware you listed.

The above makes me wonder, as said in another post in this thread, if you have a PCIe power cable connected to the CPU power input, or vice versa. Those cables are not interchangeable. Most Seasonic PSUs have connectors that won't allow that to happen, but an older model like your S12II might not have that feature. Check the PSU manual, and the cables to the CPU power connector and video card power connector.

Is your monitor set to auto select the active input from all its inputs? You should manually select the input on your monitor for the type of cable you are using, to be sure. Also, are you using a PC monitor, or a TV? That can make a difference.

Which memory slots are you using? Normally the A2 and/or B2 slots are recommended. Sometimes when using 8GB or larger DIMMs, the A1 and/or B1 slots will work better.

dimpole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The above makes me wonder, as said in another post in this thread, if you have a PCIe power cable connected to the CPU power input, or vice versa. Those cables are not interchangeable. Most Seasonic PSUs have connectors that won't allow that to happen, but an older model like your S12II might not have that feature. Check the PSU manual, and the cables to the CPU power connector and video card power connector.

The PCI-E power cables are labeled as such and are divided 6-2 instead of 4-4 like the CPU power connector. Right now I don't even have the GPU installed since it's quite big and was in the way anyway, as I was trying to figure out what's wrong.

Right now I have connected:
  • The 24 pin power connector to the right side of the motherboard, next to the RAM
  • The 8 pin (divided into two connectors with 4 pins each) connector to the upper left side of the motherboard, next to the CPU
  • Two SATA connectors connected to the Hard Drive and the SSD. Using one for each since it's easier. Also I connected a small (12V iirc) connector from the SATA that leads to the SSD to the hub that controls the chasis fans, as seen in the instructions I followed to build the PC.
  • The PCI-E connector is currently unused since I have removed the bulky GPU.
  • The Floppy Drive Power Connector is unused, as I've mentioned in my previous post.

There are no other cables coming from the PSU.

Is your monitor set to auto select the active input from all its inputs? You should manually select the input on your monitor for the type of cable you are using, to be sure. Also, are you using a PC monitor, or a TV? That can make a difference.

I've tried all three different cables (HDMI, VGA, DV-I) and selected "Input" each time I changed them but nothing changed. I've connected it to my laptop to check and it works normally. This is the monitor.

Which memory slots are you using? Normally the A2 and/or B2 slots are recommended. Sometimes when using 8GB or larger DIMMs, the A1 and/or B1 slots will work better.

I've tried them all, I started with A2, then used A1 for a while, now I have the RAM on A2 again.

Originally posted by wardog<span id=userPro7 =msgSidePro title=View Drop Down></span> wardog wrote:

Go back and check the polarities of the case wiring to the MBs System Panel Header.

I'll check again just to be sure but I think they are connected properly.

It was too late yesterday to try the outside the box build but I will attempt it shortly and I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks a lot!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 5:46pm
Put your GPU on it and see what happens.

I dunno. I can't convince myself this is not memory related. The iGPU that you're currently using does use some shared system memory for itself, so if the iGPU was choking on using either stick, that could I assume be your issue. Maybe. This (c)(w)ould explain away everything happening.

I'm cross-eyed trying to re-find if you have found a ram slot that it will fire up on. ?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic