ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Only boots when battery is taken out and put back
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Only boots when battery is taken out and put back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only boots when battery is taken out and put back
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:36pm
Upgrading one of my computers with a new Asrock board (my first Asrock), kaby lake cpu and memory.  I put the system together on my bench and it would not boot, no lights, no fans...nothing.

I placed a piso speaker on the board to see if it was beeping and nothing. Pulled the memory and still nothing. So I pulled the battery, waited and then put it back in and it finally beeped.  I put memory back in, pulled battery, placed it back in and t will boot, but after power off and power back on, it won't boot again.   

Not familiar with Asrock boards and the bios, I assume like with other boards, it's clearing the bios settings. 

Too late for me to get a new battery tonight, so I thought I'd ask here if any one has had this issue and a fix.

Asrock H270M Pro4
 i7-7700
 2x8 Curcial/Ballistic memory (on approved list)
 Corsair RS-460-PSAP-i3 PSU

Thx.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:35pm
Huh?

Check that the Clear CMOS Jumper (CLRMOS1) on the lower right edge is properly positioned to pins 1 and 2, the Run position.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 4:37pm
And I guess the battery is facing up with the stamped writing displayed to the eye.
concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Huh?

Check that the Clear CMOS Jumper (CLRMOS1) on the lower right edge is properly positioned to pins 1 and 2, the Run position.

Yes, I believe so; at least there's a "1" on the right side of the 3 pin clear CMOS posts and the jumper was on the right most two posts.  I'm used to gigabyte and asus boards with only 2 posts and to clear the BIOS, you short them out. AsRock does it differently.

In any case, I unplugged the power supply, pulled the CMOS jumper, pulled the battery and left it over night, with same result. 

What is weird is that, after pulling the battery and then putting it back in, I can use a power button to start,  but holding the power button does nothing (can't shutdown).  Hitting the reset posts with a screw driver will reboot.  In order to power down, I have to use the  PSU  button...

I assume it doesn't matter that I have no hard drive connected to the AsRock board, but I'll plug in my Linux boot SSD drive just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

Thx.

concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 8:06pm
To add:

After pulling battery for 30+ seconds and placing a Linux boot SSD on the system, it boots.  However, after a normal shutdown, and pressing the power button...nothing. Cry   Beginning to think I have a bad board.   In 30+ years, I had only one other board that was bad (i386-based).
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by concord concord wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Huh?

Yes, I believe so; at least there's a "1" on the right side of the 3 pin clear CMOS posts and the jumper was on the right most two posts.  I'm used to gigabyte and asus boards with only 2 posts and to clear the BIOS, you short them out. AsRock does it differently.

In any case, I unplugged the power supply, pulled the CMOS jumper, pulled the battery and left it over night, with same result. 

What is weird is that, after pulling the battery and then putting it back in, I can use a power button to start,  but holding the power button does nothing (can't shutdown).  Hitting the reset posts with a screw driver will reboot.  In order to power down, I have to use the  PSU  button...

I assume it doesn't matter that I have no hard drive connected to the AsRock board, but I'll plug in my Linux boot SSD drive just to make sure.

Any other suggestions?

Thx.

First, replace the battery. Any writing on the battery must be facing upwards and readable when the battery is its holder.

Batteries can be bad from the factory. So many are used, a bad one occasionally gets into a board.

I'm wondering about this:

"Hitting the reset posts with a screw driver will reboot."

So your PC case does not have a reset button? I've seen that on a few cases. Any other non-standard things regarding connections to the board from the PC case?

Removing the battery alone is not the same as using the jumper on the board to clear the UEFI/BIOS. Both must be done to reset the UEFI/BIOS values to their defaults, and clear the memory internal to the UEFI/BIOS chip.

The POST beep is controlled by a setting in the UEFI/BIOS, in the Boot screen, the Boot Beep option. That option is set to Disabled by default. That you were able to get the board to beep, as you said in your first post, is strange. That is an example of how removing the battery alone does not clear the UEFI/BIOS, and actually is apparently causing odd things to happen with the UEFI/BIOS options. Or at least in your case, where the battery is questionable.

The problem with the power button not turning the PC off (vs a "shutdown", which is not the same thing regarding the power state of a board) may be related to the battery. But it also may be related to the polarity of the connection of the power button connection from the PC case's switch.

Also, for a new board that has never been shutdown via an OS, the power state of the board (power state meaning the 'S' states, such as S5 Shutdown, or S3 Sleep for example) is in an undefined state. That may be the cause of that odd behavior. I mention this due to your comment about not having a drive connected to the board, which reminded me of the power states and the undefined power state of the board, since it has never booted an OS yet, and shutdown from an OS.

The CMOS jumper is in an unusual position on this board, oriented vertically instead of horizontally as it would appear mounted in a standard PC case. If we were looking at the board from its right side, where the SATA ports are located, the jumper would be on the two rightmost pins in its normal, non-clear position.

concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

First, replace the battery. Any writing on the battery must be facing upwards and readable when the battery is its holder.

Batteries can be bad from the factory. So many are used, a bad one occasionally gets into a board.

Thanks for advice, we were out getting groceries this morning and picked  up a new battery, same result...won't boot unless I remove the battery for 30 secs or more.

I never created a system with an AsRock board, so I assume I missing / overlooking something.

I'm wondering about this:

"Hitting the reset posts with a screw driver will reboot."

So your PC case does not have a reset button? I've seen that on a few cases. Any other non-standard things regarding connections to the board from the PC case?

Normally I bench test a board before mounting into a case.  I have a switch for the power and but not for the reset, so just use a small flathead to short the two reset posts for a secs.  After finding out I had to take the battery out (after unplugging PSU and waiting for the circuits to drain), then put it back in, Then I tried to reset, which works fine.

I've been building systems for many years. Used to be a tech, then an engineer and now software developer...yes I'm a bit of a geek.

Removing the battery alone is not the same as using the jumper on the board to clear the UEFI/BIOS. Both must be done to reset the UEFI/BIOS values to their defaults, and clear the memory internal to the UEFI/BIOS chip.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I removed the jumper and battery over night, same result.

The POST beep is controlled by a setting in the UEFI/BIOS, in the Boot screen, the Boot Beep option. That option is set to Disabled by default. That you were able to get the board to beep, as you said in your first post, is strange. That is an example of how removing the battery alone does not clear the UEFI/BIOS, and actually is apparently causing odd things to happen with the UEFI/BIOS options. Or at least in your case, where the battery is questionable.

Sorry I wasn't clear, When I first didn't get anything, I removed the memory and normally when booting with no memory,  you will get a beep.  After finding out removing the battery would start it to boot, I put the memory back in to get to the BIOS.

The problem with the power button not turning the PC off (vs a "shutdown", which is not the same thing regarding the power state of a board) may be related to the battery. But it also may be related to the polarity of the connection of the power button connection from the PC case's switch.

Also, for a new board that has never been shutdown via an OS, the power state of the board (power state meaning the 'S' states, such as S5 Shutdown, or S3 Sleep for example) is in an undefined state. That may be the cause of that odd behavior. I mention this due to your comment about not having a drive connected to the board, which reminded me of the power states and the undefined power state of the board, since it has never booted an OS yet, and shutdown from an OS.

The CMOS jumper is in an unusual position on this board, oriented vertically instead of horizontally as it would appear mounted in a standard PC case. If we were looking at the board from its right side, where the SATA ports are located, the jumper would be on the two rightmost pins in its normal, non-clear position.

I followed up stating I added a linux boot SSD and it booted up.  Then I did a normal shutdown. Tried the power button, no go.

Normally, when I look at a board, the I/O connections are in the back, so when looking at this board, the CMOS reset posts are on the left, in front and the jumper is on the two most right posts...why there are three posts is a mystery to me, I haven't traced it out.

Manual: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H270M%20Pro4/index.us.asp#Manual

Thx.

concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:21am
I just ran Intel's IDPT cpu tool and it fails on base clock.  Not sure if Intel's IDPT tools is compatible the the 7th gen chips yet though...

Detected Base Clock --> 102
!!----  Base Clock Test Failed ----!!
concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:36am
Just turned off the base clock test in config and everything else seems to work ok, so I'm back thinking it's the motherboard.  Most likely the tool is compatible with up to 6th gen. with the liveFedora version.  

I filled out AsRock Support form and hope they can shed some light on the issue.
Bernhard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernhard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 6:30pm
I am having similar issues with the ASROCK J4105...

I am afraid my ASROCK J4105 has a technical problem:
The mainboard only starts, if i first make a CMOS clear, i can then start the mainboard as often as i like without CMOS clear. If I now leave the mainboard out overnight, I have to clear a CMOS again and boot as often as I want. The same game repeats itself from day to day and is super annoying.

BEQUIET PURE POWER 11 will probably run in the shutdown mode (safety precaution) when the power supply is switched on. So I tested the power supply on another motherboard and there are no problems, so a power supply defect can be excluded.

In addition, I also have tested the motherboard with 1xRam, with 2xRam, without Ram etc. in every single combination, still the same results...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic