ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

extreme9 sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extreme9 sound
    Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:28am
Hi all.
I had a Fatal1ty  990FX for years until recently it died with everything else.
As I had a FX9590 CPU sitting on my desk for over a year or more I decided to buy one of these boards as it supports the CPU.

Now I have a bit of a problem since I bought the board the sound crackles and pops until I restart it and then it is fine.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit still.

Any idea as to why it makes me restart to get the clear sound?
Don't think it is Windows as I had the same problem using another ssd with a fresh install of Windows on it.
Unless it is something to do  with Windows and this board.

Any idea?

Thank you.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:39am
Before I begin, you have a 990FX Extreme9 now, right?
mgrandy@hotmail.co.u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrandy@hotmail.co.u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 10:31pm
this could be a number of things

bad earth?
pre amped?
faulty supply?
bad speakers also?
do you get same response from a pci sound card? im guessing so if not then your your jack could have a bad earth

then i would be checking age of ssd and try swapping a few components out. highly doubtful its windows seen as how you had this problem before. same as ssd but your welcome to try

i have mine pre amped before going in to my pc. so i would check the supply to that along with anything attached to it.

honestly i would put my money on cold solder joints on your speakers/amp re solder all connections making sure earths are great and look good or buy a new set to try preferably without amp/extra power to make sure it aint the board has a bad earth. seen as how you had this before i would guess at speaker setup or bad earth somewhere the extra power is crackling your speakers it has to go somewhere. this could also mean to high volts or to low, to high or unstable volts or bad earth. 

is it through one or both speakers? if its both then i would look at replacing from speakers back test them out on different system just to be sure it aint with them. if its just one then you know your issue cold solder joints somewhere

the reason it dont sort it self, is self explanatory there cold solder joints. on boot up when they heat up this would improve connections and self right although still not good. if i am correct

Edited by mgrandy@hotmail.co.u - 19 Mar 2017 at 10:49pm
fx 9370 asrock, fatal1ty 970 performance 3.1, NZXT phantom f-atx, AeroCool Integrator 850W, Corsair Hydro Series H100
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:47am
New gear .
Just blew the old Fatal1ty pro so as I had a FX9590(for a year)  on my desk bought the extreme9 in January.
So I bought a new PSU to go with it.

Old Gear.
Old as I have had it for at the most just shy of a year.
16GB
Headphones are Plantronics Rig 500HD only had them.
Was using Sandisk SSD but just had to RMA so have a Plextor SSD both Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit both still had crapped up sound.

No I don't have a PCIe soundcard think I might borrow a pci soundcard from work(radio station so high quality)  and see if that fixes it.  If it fixes it I will invest in a PCIe souncard I think.

I have tried the Rig 500HD headset on my sound system and they sound fine.

I did flash the Bios (still the same problem) to the 1.80 but it seemed unstable with memory problems @2400MHz so I then went back to the P1.70

Thanks

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by mixsetup mixsetup wrote:

New gear .
Just blew the old Fatal1ty pro so as I had a FX9590(for a year)  on my desk bought the extreme9 in January.
So I bought a new PSU to go with it.

Old Gear.
Old as I have had it for at the most just shy of a year.
16GB
Headphones are Plantronics Rig 500HD only had them.
Was using Sandisk SSD but just had to RMA so have a Plextor SSD both Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit both still had crapped up sound.

No I don't have a PCIe soundcard think I might borrow a pci soundcard from work(radio station so high quality)  and see if that fixes it.  If it fixes it I will invest in a PCIe souncard I think.

I have tried the Rig 500HD headset on my sound system and they sound fine.

I did flash the Bios (still the same problem) to the 1.80 but it seemed unstable with memory problems @2400MHz so I then went back to the P1.70

Thanks

On what basis or reason do you blame the SSDs for your sound problems?

I assume you are playing audio files from the SSDs? What format, not that it matters (except MP3), just curious.

The bit rate of music data is far below that of the maximum speed of any SSD, so it's not an IO rate problem. Plus since you are constantly reading from the SSD, it is not going into a low power Sleep mode. If it was, that can be configured to not happen in Windows.

Although "crackles and pops" could be anything from a bad connection (cable connectors and the pin jacks on the IO panel) to CPU power saving options causing latency, that is still not much to go on.

What audio source are you using now? Since I know you have a video card, which has audio capability, are you using that or the Realtek audio on the board? Granted, the Realtek ALC898 audio on this board is not very good.

A PCIe sound card will definitely have improved sound, but may suffer from the same issue if it is related to the CPU switching in and out of power saving states, for example.

Try disabling C6 support in the BIOS as a test.
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:18pm
I wasn't blaming the SSD's I should have been more clear, I meant that I have tried changing them so there was a fresh install of Windows to rule out that it was the software.

I just play MP3's or watch music video's on YouTube.

Using the Realtek audio on the board.

I will try the USB at the rear of the system as you say it could be connectors.

So now I have a new
Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850w  power supply.
The ASRock 990fx extreme9
GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz
AMD FX-9590, 
MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G ,
Other SATA3 drives

Headset are Plantronics Rig 500HD(same as they use for esports and are a top range headset)

I have tried
Speakers (clear on different computer).
Headset on another computer.( perfect sound)
Tried other USB ports still the sound crackles and pops
Tried uninstalling drivers including registry entries.(On installation of those drivers again sound was all crackly and pops)
Tried using Microsoft Windows generic drivers and sound still crackles and pops.
Uninstalled hardware from device manager and reinstall and the sound still crackles and pops
Power to and in the house has just been replaced after we bought it last November so I doubt there is a problem there also tried the other computer from the same power point and the sound was perfect on that other computer.

So sound is still not working after all this.

Edited by mixsetup - 03 Apr 2017 at 8:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic