ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen unusual load in core0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:03am
storport.sys????

You stated in your first post ""Windows 8.1 new install, fully updated.""

I'm beginning to NOT believe that WackoAngry

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

storport.sys????

You stated in your first post ""Windows 8.1 new install, fully updated.""

I'm beginning to NOT believe that WackoAngry

Maybe a reprieve from my ""I'm beginning to NOT believe that WackoAngry"

Have you installed the ""AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601"" available from the MBs download page?

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20AB350%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:25pm
Quote You stated in your first post ""Windows 8.1 new install, fully updated.""

I'm beginning to NOT believe that

I downloaded and installed everything from asrock's support page and AMD's official ryzen driver package.  I do not have any 3rd party add on cards or anything, just my radeon with new drivers installed for it too.

Quote Have you installed the ""AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601"" available from the MBs download page?

yessir, on day one.

But I went back yesterday to recheck if I missed something or if a new updated driver was available.  Allin1 shows my installed ver 16.50 and recommends a version 17.XX.  I didn't have time before leaving for work to install this but I will later this afternoon.

I may have discovered what's initially triggering this issue.  It seems to happen shortly after I use my external hard drive.

edit: more confirmation on this.  A member of overclock.net just posted about the same issue and said they noticed it happened when they plugged in an xbox controller.

Edited by mxpie - 24 Mar 2017 at 10:22pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by mxpie mxpie wrote:

Quote You stated in your first post ""Windows 8.1 new install, fully updated.""

I'm beginning to NOT believe that

I downloaded and installed everything from asrock's support page and AMD's official ryzen driver package.  I do not have any 3rd party add on cards or anything, just my radeon with new drivers installed for it too.

Quote Have you installed the ""AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601"" available from the MBs download page?

yessir, on day one.

But I went back yesterday to recheck if I missed something or if a new updated driver was available.  Allin1 shows my installed ver 16.50 and recommends a version 17.XX.  I didn't have time before leaving for work to install this but I will later this afternoon.

I may have discovered what's initially triggering this issue.  It seems to happen shortly after I use my external hard drive.

Some driver installation packages, which we can see is the same version for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 on your board's download pages, will actually install different versions depending upon the OS version being used. The only way to tell what is actually installed is to check Windows Programs and Features.

Tell us about this external hard drive. What is the interface, I would think it is USB? The storport.sys driver being used as part of the USB interface?

I'm still curious about the core usage, which seems better in your later screenshots. Do you see multiple cores being used, which should happen all the time?

Also, you have no comment about Microsoft saying no support for Ryzen with Windows 8.1? Also sorry to say, but how can your Windows 8.1 installation be fully updated when no (more) updates are coming from Microsoft?

It is ridiculous for the Win 8.1 Update program to get (supposedly) messages that no updates will be provided, and that Ryzen is not supported hardware. Meanwhile, the Win 8.1 update service apparently just keeps asking for updates, gets turned down, and tries again, endlessly. Yes, that's what I call unsupported software. Pinch
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Some driver installation packages, which we can see is the same version for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 on your board's download pages, will actually install different versions depending upon the OS version being used. The only way to tell what is actually installed is to check Windows Programs and Features.

when you open the allin1, its an app like interface with a list of drivers to download individually so it's clear what is being installed.

Quote Tell us about this external hard drive. What is the interface, I would think it is USB? The storport.sys driver being used as part of the USB interface?

It's a USB 3.0 dock like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000F6
I looked up storeport but haven't gotten very far yet.  I cannot disable it or end the task.

Quote I'm still curious about the core usage, which seems better in your later screenshots. Do you see multiple cores being used, which should happen all the time?

yes the cores still fluctuate, it's just the screenshot was taken exactly when other cores showed 0%.  But it was very obvious that windows wanted to load as much as it could on core 0 even while it was idling at 70%+  launching programs would lag as well as games.

Quote Also, you have no comment about Microsoft saying no support for Ryzen with Windows 8.1? Also sorry to say, but how can your Windows 8.1 installation be fully updated when no (more) updates are coming from Microsoft?

well since day 1 people have been testing Ryzen with 7 and 10.  some say it runs better on 7 even though it is unsupported.  8.1 is more like 10 than 7 so it seems far fetched that it is simply an 8.1 issue.
There isn't much driver related I need from Microsoft anyway as it's mostly asrock and amd.  Asrock still has 8.1 x64 OS selection under support downloads.   The "fully updated" was more on the security and .net framework side.

The one other guy I've seen with this issue, I've PM'd him and waiting on a response.  I'll ask him which OS he has, but I'll bet hes on 10.

Edited by mxpie - 25 Mar 2017 at 12:44am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:28am

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

when you open the allin1, its an app like interface with a list of drivers to download individually so it's clear what is being installed.

I'm at a loss here for not having a Ryzen system.

The allinone is >1000Mb and shouldn't be downloading anything.

I have to run out for a quick one. When I get back I'll execute the Ryzen allinone from you boards download page to investigate.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:29am
Hmmmm ....... You are executing the allinone as Administrator, right?
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 2:01am
honestly I'm speaking from memory about the allinone.  I havent looked at it since I first installed everything 2 weeks ago.  Unless I'm confusing it with another AMD program.  I remember one that looked like the AMD crimson relive UI and had various drivers to click on and install.

I was stressed to the max that day, so I wouldn't be surprised if my memory is confused.

I downloaded the program again this morning before work and will re-investigate it later this afternoon to see if I missed something.

Edited by mxpie - 25 Mar 2017 at 8:46am
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:47am
OK so I ran allinone again and it is the same program I remember.  I downloaded it from AMD originally, the Ryzen chipset drivers package.

It loads with a crimson like UI and has a list of various drivers to click.  Each one you can mouse over and it will tell you if you have the most up to date version installed.  I'm all up to date.

Also I got some information from the guy I PM'd who is having the same issue.

He has the MSI X370 Titanium and is on windows 10.  So it's not exclusively an 8.1 or Asrock thing. 

Edited by mxpie - 25 Mar 2017 at 9:28am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:39am

There isn't much driver related I need from Microsoft anyway as it's mostly asrock and amd.  Asrock still has 8.1 x64 OS selection under support downloads.   The "fully updated" was more on the security and .net framework side.

The one other guy I've seen with this issue, I've PM'd him and waiting on a response.  I'll ask him which OS he has, but I'll bet hes on 10.

We have a misunderstanding/miscommunication here, about what "fully updated" means. This was at least in part caused by the Windows Update process for 8.1 seeming to cause the high load on core 0, and that as we saw, Microsoft announcing that Ryzen is unsupported hardware for Windows 7 and 8.1.

In the first several posts on page one of this thread, we talked about Windows update. That was what we were assuming was meant by fully updated. A Windows update could be anything from a timezone change in Asia, to a currency change in Europe (??or £ for example), or a change to the task/core scheduler in Windows. Which BTW, AMD has said is not needed.

OTOH, you meant by fully updated, the AMD drivers.

I downloaded and looked at some of the files in the AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601 package.We can see that AMD provides drivers for Windows 7 and Windows 10. In some cases the Windows 7 drivers are used with Windows 8.1, and in others Windows 8.1 driver support does not exist (RAIDXpert2).

The main thing is, AMD provides Windows 7 and to varying degrees, Windows 8.1 support, in the All in one driver package. OTOH, this being the true All In One driver package, meaning EVERY supported AMD platform, we might say we don't know which drivers belong to Ryzen.

Regardless, it looks like only Microsoft is saying only Windows 10 supports Ryzen. That might be just a way to push Windows 10 down Ryzen user's throats. Among other ways, like no Windows updates for 7 or 8.1.

I wonder if the problem here is the FMA3 instruction bug found in Ryzen, to be fixed in an upcoming UEFI/BIOS CPU microcode update that AMD will distribute to mother board manufactures in April or May?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic