ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen unusual load in core0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaccyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Anyone found a fix to this issue yet?

I appear to also have the same issue as mxpie. Whenever I plug in my external USB hard drive, plugged directly into the motherboards??USB port (I've tried with 2 different USB hard drives, as well as a thumb drive), Core 0 fluctuates between 70 ??85% load. 

Every so often the system lags and freezes (which can be around 10 seconds frozen). I can also see the effects when I'm playing a movie when it stutters. I had the issue with Bios v1.40, then I updated to Bios v2.20 to see if it would fix the issue but I still get the issue happening. When I eject the external hard drive I still get the high load on Core 0. If I reboot with the hard drive plugged in, the issue goes away.

I have installed the AMD all in 1 driver v16.50.2601, and also tried installing the new released AMD balanced power plan for Ryzen processors. 

PC system:
Ryzen 1700
Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 - BIOS v2.20
Windows 10 - new install with Ryzen CPU. AMD Ryzen Balanced plan used (although I had the issue before as well using the High performance plan)

Process explorer, HWINFO & Resource monitor screenshots:
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii549/Zaccyi/Screenshot_1_zpssbnbwcke.jpg

Thanks!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:19pm
Installed the Ryzen Power Plan and also selected it as the Power Plan?
Zaccyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaccyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:19am
Yes, the Ryzen balanced plan is selected:

Before the new Ryzen plan was released I had it on the High performance plan.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:02am
In case the reason you're still holding onto 8.1 is because you missed the cutoff last year to upgrade to 10, here's a link that should help you get a legitimate installation on your new hardware, for free:

I've used it three times now on computers I've built for other people.

Thing is, I'm not sure if you're aware, but Windows 8/8.1 is about as big a disappointment for Microsoft as Windows Vista was. Not only do the NOT want to support the handful of people who for some odd reason didn't upgrade away from that confusing mess, but they REALLY do not want to support Win 7 users. They put up the deadline, but by leaving this loophole open, I believe they are trying to convert as many people from 7/8 as possible.

Do yourself, and your sanity, a favor. Install the upgrade. There are still a substantial amount of users on Win 7, so I guess you could go that route, too, but expect your complaints to fall on deaf ears at AMD if things don't work right.

They haven't announced a cut-off for the link above, but I wouldn't wait a second longer were I you. Even as buggy as 10 has been, it's still better than what you're using now.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Zaccyi Zaccyi wrote:

Anyone found a fix to this issue yet?

I appear to also have the same issue as mxpie. Whenever I plug in my external USB hard drive, plugged directly into the motherboards??USB port (I've tried with 2 different USB hard drives, as well as a thumb drive), Core 0 fluctuates between 70 ??85% load. 

Every so often the system lags and freezes (which can be around 10 seconds frozen). I can also see the effects when I'm playing a movie when it stutters. I had the issue with Bios v1.40, then I updated to Bios v2.20 to see if it would fix the issue but I still get the issue happening. When I eject the external hard drive I still get the high load on Core 0. If I reboot with the hard drive plugged in, the issue goes away.

I have installed the AMD all in 1 driver v16.50.2601, and also tried installing the new released AMD balanced power plan for Ryzen processors. 

PC system:
Ryzen 1700
Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 - BIOS v2.20
Windows 10 - new install with Ryzen CPU. AMD Ryzen Balanced plan used (although I had the issue before as well using the High performance plan)

Process explorer, HWINFO & Resource monitor screenshots:
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii549/Zaccyi/Screenshot_1_zpssbnbwcke.jpg

Thanks!

You say this happens just with a USB flash drive connected to a USB 3.0 port? I don't have the same Ryzen board as you do, but I've had a 64GB USB flash drive connected to the PC for ten minutes, and my Core 0 usage has not even reached 25%.

Please verify what you wrote earlier, this is a copy and paste from your first post:

When I eject the external hard drive I still get the high load on Core 0. If I reboot with the hard drive plugged in, the issue goes away.

So this problem only happens if you connect an external USB drive to the PC after it has booted?

The chipset of your Ryzen board and mine are different, and the chipset is supplying the USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports. I have two entries in Device Manager: "AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 Microsoft), and another the same except for the USB 3.1 controller. Both use the Windows 10 USBXHCI.sys driver. Do you have similar entries?

Zaccyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaccyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:55pm
If I cold boot with an external hard drive plugged into the USB3 port, I don't get the high usage on Core 0 and the PC is as normal.

If I cold boot without the external hard drive plugged in, and then after it has booted, when I plug in the external hard drive to the USB3 port, Core 0 has the high usage again. When I then do a reboot after this (with the external hard drive still plugged in), the high usage goes away and the PC is as normal. Then, when I eject the external hard drive and plug it back in, Core 0 has high usage again. If I then put the PC to sleep, and resume from sleep, Core 0 still has high usage.

This is trying with both USB2 & USB3 external drives. I am not sure about other types of USB devices.

So what you said sounds correct, in that the problem seems to only happen when I connect an external USB drive after the PC has booted.

My device manager has the same entries as the one you mentioned:

USBXHCI.SYS - AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
USBXHCI.SYS - AMD USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

toytown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toytown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 2:15am
I also have the problem using an Asrock AB350 Pro4 (1.40 Bios) motherboard.  It happens whenever i plug in a usb device like my USB Microphone or USB SD Card reader. 

Once its plugged in then the system interrupts will use core0 until i reboot windows, unplugging all of my USB devices inc keyboard/mouse does not fix it.  Plugging these devices in before windows boots, makes them work just fine.  Unplugging them and plugging the same device back in 100% usage on core0 due to system interrupts.

I've tried closing all applications and shutting down almost all windows services in an attempt to find out if i could resolve the issue with a reboot, sadly i cant.
Zaccyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaccyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 7:34pm
I just tried to plug in a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver into the USB3 port on the motherboard and the high CPU usage on Core 0 also occurs (varying between 70% - 85%), with the System interrupts on Resource monitor showing it's using 5% of the CPU. So it looks like the issue does not just occur with external drives.

Would the motherboard be faulty or would a new BIOS update fix this? I am already on BIOS v2.20.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 7:45pm
Have all of you installed the AMD All-In-One driver(s) from your boards download pages?
Zaccyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaccyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:18pm
Yes, I have already installed the AMD all in 1 driver ver16.50.2601 from my motherboards download page (Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4).

I have a screenshot of the AMD all in 1 driver ver16.50.2601 (also with a HWINFO screenshot showing the usage when I plugged in the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic