ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen unusual load in core0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen unusual load in core0
    Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 1:03am
I think this may be a BIOS issue but not sure.

I leave my system on 24/7 and restart every week or so when necessary.  I noticed that every morning HWinfo and MSI afterburner show core0 hovering around 70-80% load, while windows task manager shows almost nothing.  I've searched through processes and details and tried shutting down a few things like radeon settings.  but nothing makes core0 reset to normal.

see picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/892365_zpsmekfs74e.jpg~original

The load is real and not misreporting because I get noticeably worse frame rates in single thread heavy games.  I've even had it lag my browser.

a reboot resets this behavior but it always returns the next morning.

System:
Ryzen 1700
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 BIOS 1.40
previously I tried 1.42 beta and had the same issue.  I had SMT disabled.  Was going to try re-enabling it but BIOS 1.40 does not have the option.  All other settings default.

Windows 8.1 new install, fully updated.  Balanced power preference with sleep/hibernate disabled.

I have not seen anyone else on various forums/reddit mention this 'bug'.  and I've gotten no help identifying the issue.

Edited by mxpie - 24 Mar 2017 at 10:33am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 5:26am
https://fossbytes.com/microsoft-blocking-windows-7-8-updates-amd-ryzen-intel-kaby-lake-cpu/

Are you sure it's "fully updated? Just sayin. I've known about this from Microsoft coming sooner rather than later. That load could be Windows Update hogging that core, getting no response from the WU servers.

Great time to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon Embarrassed

The fun never ends Clown

mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:26am
wouldn't the culprit process show in windows task manager though?

alright I'll do an experiment for tomorrow.  I'll completely turn updates off and see what it's doing in the morning.  If core 0 is still under high load I'll unplug ethernet and see if that frees it up.

I never had this issue on my last system I just upgraded from though.

Edited by mxpie - 23 Mar 2017 at 8:26am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by mxpie mxpie wrote:

wouldn't the culprit process show in windows task manager though?

alright I'll do an experiment for tomorrow.  I'll completely turn updates off and see what it's doing in the morning.  If core 0 is still under high load I'll unplug ethernet and see if that frees it up.

I never had this issue on my last system I just upgraded from though.

Was you last system a Ryzen system? So how can you compare the two, particularly with a completely new platform (Ryzen) that is clearly still in the early, find and fix the bugs and issues phase. Ryzen has a while to go before it has decent stabili, which is still not 100%... if that is ever reached on any system.

I'm also not sure about the Windows update process continuing non-stop and using a core non-stop. The article said the Windows update process for 7 and 8.1 would get an error message:

Unsupported Hardware
Your PC uses a processor that isn?™t supported on this version of Windows and you won?™t receive updates.

After that, is the Windows update process continuing to try to get updates? Where is that error message being written? Multiple messages over and over on the same day?

A more basic explanation is, as seen above, Unsupported hardware for Windows 8.1.

One look at your screenshot tells it all. Why is the Windows core scheduler only using one core? Eight cores are available. You've got 0% usage on all the other seven cores! No wonder you have a frame rate reduction and even lag in your browser. You are effectively running a single core processor! You don't have the Core/Thread usage shown in HWiNFO, do you have two threads running in the one core?

I have a mere quad core processor in my Z270 PC, and all four cores are doing a little something most of the time. I have never seen anything like your screenshot. One core out of eight is the only one active? When one core is loaded, another should immediately be used.

Do you get that continuously? Are any of the other cores active at any time? Sorry, I'm not ranting at you, that is a terrible situation, I just cannot believe it!! Shocked

Task to core assignment is a Windows or software operation. Unless something else is the culprit, this is a great (terrible) example of Windows 8.1 not supporting a Ryzen system.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:57am
In that pic, click on CPU to sort till you see the process(es) that are using that 7%
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

In that pic, click on CPU to sort till you see the process(es) that are using that 7%

no one process is using that 7% which fluctuates like normal, it's just the total of various processes using 1-2%

Turned windows updates off completely yesterday and this morning core 0 looked normal.

I want to give it another day to be sure, but this seems most likely to be solved now.

Thanks a lot wardog! Big smile

Edited by mxpie - 23 Mar 2017 at 9:10pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 9:31pm

Turned windows updates off completely yesterday and this morning core 0 looked normal.

I want to give it another day to be sure, but this seems most likely to be solved now.

Thanks a lot wardog! Big smile

Meh, don't go getting to far out front yet in thanking me.

Give it a day or two to be sure then come back and post how it's been behaving.
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:22am
so not surprisingly it's back...

I decided to see if another process monitor would show me whats loading core 0, so I tried process explorer.  Please recommend another if there is a better one.

It basically agrees with windows task manager from my original picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/003_zpsc5gq4hz0.jpg

I closed HWinfo and loaded up MSI afterburner for a 2nd opinion on core 0 and it showed basically the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/004_zpszcclkphn.jpg~original

Then I opened up the more comprehensive task manager window and something interesting there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/005_zpsmuvwbdhg.jpg~original
It seems to be showing the same load on core 0 in the graph but only says ~7% core usage from "system interrupts"

so back to square one.  Hwinfo and my gaming performance confirm core 0 is loaded, yet task manager and process explorer say nothing is using more than 10% total load anywhere...

Edited by mxpie - 24 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:28am

so not surprisingly it's back...

I decided to see if another process monitor would show me whats loading core 0, so I tried process explorer.  Please recommend another if there is a better one.

It basically agrees with windows task manager from my original picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/003_zpsc5gq4hz0.jpg

I closed HWinfo and loaded up MSI afterburner for a 2nd opinion on core 0 and it showed basically the same.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/004_zpszcclkphn.jpg

Then I opened up the more comprehensive task manager window and something interesting there.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/005_zpsmuvwbdhg.jpg
It seems to be showing the same load on core 0 in the graph but only says ~7% core usage from "system interrupts"

so back to square one.  Hwinfo and my gaming performance confirm core 0 is loaded, yet task manager and process explorer say nothing is using more than 10% total load anywhere...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-high-cpu-usage-caused-system-interrupts/
mxpie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
based on some of the things the article suggests I downloaded latencymon and this is what it reports

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Yasunori/006_zpscoabmunq.jpg~original

I changed power setting back to High Performance based off it's suggestion but issue persists.  I think I tried this before when I first noticed the issue.

it's final suggestion "check for BIOS updates" of course I'm eagerly awaiting.

I'm starting to thing this is just a BIOS issue in the end.  but I just don't know why I'm the only fool on the interwebs that seems to be having this issue on their new Ryzen system

Edited by mxpie - 24 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic