ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has ASRock forgotten about the Z170 boards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has ASRock forgotten about the Z170 boards?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:39am
Yes, there were a number of Kaby Lake BIOS upgrades, but what about memory? I've had memory for almost a year now; G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR. Still unstable at the default XMP profile and it's not on the supported list.

Yet a plethora of Z270s appear to support it, but only two Z170 boards and not my Extreme7+; which is supposed to be an enthusiast Z170 board. Can't believe most Z170s have been abandoned and not updated. I can't believe that this is not a fairly simple port from the new systems. Maybe not. Either way ... frustrating.

From: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gvr
Z170(DDR4) 
Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ / Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6
Z270(DDR4) 
Z270 Extreme4
Z270 Gaming i7
Z270 gaming K4
Z270 Gaming K6
Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
Z270 Pro4
Z270 SuperCarrier
Z270 Taichi
Z270M Extreme4
Z270M Pro4
Z270M-ITX/ac
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 5:07am
Don't believe for one second they've been abandoned.

First was the Z270 release and now they find themselves neck deep in the midst(read:nightmare) of Ryzen.

In just now looking at G.Skill's QVL, have you noticed just how few Z170 boards from all the manufacturers are listed? 10.

That's not a good indicator. Mind you, I'm not holding ANYONES water here. Just looking at what is available in front of me.

Humor me here as it looks bass ackwards from reality and far from any modicum of sanity Wacko  ..............

Reset your BIOS
Save and Exit, going directly back into the BIOS
Using the Default mode of EZ Mode, select the XMP Profile you want(change nothing else)
Save and Exit

Did she boot for ya?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:54pm
If not, you should be using mem slots A2 and B2.

Using A2 and B2, rinse and repeat the 4 steps I outline above.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by mkmcgregor mkmcgregor wrote:

Yes, there were a number of Kaby Lake BIOS upgrades, but what about memory? I've had memory for almost a year now; G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR. Still unstable at the default XMP profile and it's not on the supported list.

Yet a plethora of Z270s appear to support it, but only two Z170 boards and not my Extreme7+; which is supposed to be an enthusiast Z170 board. Can't believe most Z170s have been abandoned and not updated. I can't believe that this is not a fairly simple port from the new systems. Maybe not. Either way ... frustrating.

From: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gvr
Z170(DDR4) 

Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ / Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6

Z270(DDR4) 

Z270 Extreme4

Z270 Gaming i7

Z270 gaming K4

Z270 Gaming K6

Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac

Z270 Pro4

Z270 SuperCarrier

Z270 Taichi

Z270M Extreme4

Z270M Pro4

Z270M-ITX/ac

If we check the G.SKILL page for the F4-3200C14D-16GVR model, and check the Z170 support for all the included mother board manufactures, we can see this:

Z170

ASRock: Two models

Asus: Five models

EVGA: One model

Gigabyte: One model

MSI: One model

Super Micro: Zero models

ASRock comes in second out of six manufactures in supporting this memory on their Z170 boards. The trend in Z170 support for that model of memory is not good, for whatever reason.

We then see as you said, Z270 support for this memory is really every Z270 model board made by each manufacture. But we don't see the "port" to the previous system that you imply is the case with Z270 boards. The supported Z170 boards has not changed. G.SKILL has not ported this memory to the Z170 mother board models with their XMP profile.

As I have suggested to others, don't use the XMP profile. Use the DRAM Tweaker tool to set the basic memory parameters, and have
mkmcgregor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkmcgregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:54am
wardog: I did try different slot combinations and A2/B2 in addition to A1/B1. I had four DIMMs (btw all at 8GB sticks) bought separately, and I tried first two in both slot combinations, same for second two, and all four including swapped slots. This did not resolve the issue. I also ran extensive memory test with Windows memory tester and memtest86 and neither showed an issue; see Windows 10 patch comment later in this post. The problem was not typically a boot issue. I would boot into Windows 10, but would either blue screen at random times within Windows 10, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, but "usually" shortly after playing a DirectX game. So, it really could have been anything, but I noticed the problem went away (when memory set to non-XMP) or was greatly reduced and practically eliminated (meaning after playing games and whatever I did not see blue screens or lockups). These event were regardless of the overclock on the CPU (6600K typically @4.5Ghz, but I saw this at stock as well). My major test was OCCT stress in linpack with AVX checked. This would generate errors (not blue screens) with the memory in XMP mode. I found dialing the speed back to around 2600 helped with this issue. I'm currently typing on the same machine with CPU overclock and memory XMP (3200MHz CL14) in place. Recently, it just seems to be working with the latest BIOS (Dec '16), but I'm fairly certain that I saw issues shortly after the BIOS upgrade. It's possible that it's just a Windows 10 stability patch that came out in the mean time; Linux fans chime in now :)). 

My problem was very random. I just wish that any Z270 memory testing/settings would be brought back to the Z170. There is just not enough reason to move to a new motherboard for a memory QVL when there is so little difference and no performance benefit. Since there is so little difference, I'm frustrated that the QVL cannot be brought back to the Z170. But then, they make money by selling boards as Intel makes money with new CPUs that only provide 10% performance boost :)

I think that my board, memory, and OS are running correctly now. Frustrating that it took about 9 months to get there. I should be grateful that I at least had a usable computer. We take so much for granted :)

Edited by mkmcgregor - 27 Mar 2017 at 1:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic