ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disappointed with 990FX Extreme9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disappointed with 990FX Extreme9
    Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:46pm
I know this is a very old post.
I have this board and lets just say after my AM3+ 990 FX Fatal1ty Professional I am disappointed.
The temperatures are way out and as I have the FX 9590 CPU (custom water cooled) on it I need to keep an eye on the temperatures so I don't burn out the CPU and board.

The memory to get the 2400MHz has to be set manually as if I use the XMP profile of 2400MHz which my memory can do it crashes.

This board better start performing better or I will have to RMA it.
VRM's have high temps need more airflow to combat this.

Edited by mixsetup - 24 Mar 2017 at 9:32am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:43am
"custom water cooled"
Please post a pic and list the parts used.

"VRM's have high temps need more airflow to combat this."
A dedicated fan blowing over the VRM section is REQUIRED when using custom or AiO kits. This is old news I suppose but I felt the need to tell you this as I don't believe you are/were aware of it. There is NO getting around a dedicated fan as when you switch out a std HS/F to a pump the pup does not circulate air as the std HS/F does, over the VRM section.

"The memory to get the 2400MHz has to be set manually as if I use the XMP profile of 2400MHz which my memory can do it crashes."
This. Is this a bad BAD issue? Your RAM works as it should, correct? Another well known issue is XMP can and does on occasion cause issues. Yet you say it works, nonetheless.

I've had both the 990FX Professional and now the 990X Extreme9. While I won't say they are night and day different, the Extreme9 is a far FAR better board for the 9590 as it was designed from the ground up with AMD and ASRock engineers designing the first to market board that is 9590 ready, and able. The Pro was not. The Pro merely "supports' the 9590. The Extreme9 was designed and built to take on the 9590 head on, not merely support it.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by mixsetup mixsetup wrote:

I know this is a very old post.
I have this board and lets just say after my AM3+ 990 FX Fatal1ty Professional I am disappointed.
The temperatures are way out and as I have the FX 9590 CPU (custom water cooled) on it I need to keep an eye on the temperatures so I don't burn out the CPU and board.

The memory to get the 2400MHz has to be set manually as if I use the XMP profile of 2400MHz which my memory can do it crashes.

This board better start performing better or I will have to RMA it.
VRM's have high temps need more airflow to combat this.

How or why can the board (better) start to perform better? Because it knows you are upset with it? Confused

Please explain how it can perform better.

Did you use an FX-9590 with your Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board? If this is the first time you are using an FX-9590, then yes the CPU temperature may be surprising, compared to other FX processors.

Custom water cooling is almost the absolute best there is for cooling any processor. If your setup can't cool an FX-9590, something is not right with it.

No mention of a CPU OC or not. No VCore quoted, have you adjusted it from Auto/default values?

Memory at 2400 is a memory OC for any FX processor. Your memory may be rated to work at 2400, but how much are you using? Plus a memory OC is not guaranteed. You got it working manually, which is normal for a high DDR3 memory OC. All platforms cannot use the same XMP profile, plus we have no idea what memory you are using.

VRMs have high temperatures? Cooling the VRMs is mentioned in the CPU Support List. If you use liquid cooling for the CPU, that means it is even more important to supplement the VRM coolingt.

Is it the mother board's responsibility to cool the hardware we use in our PCs, or is it our responsibility to cool our hardware? I don't know of many PC components that cool themselves very well, I always make sure I have plenty of PC case ventilation.
mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:03pm
Have a fan over the VRM and still in under 10 minutes it is nearly 90 and climbing so I quit the game CS GO.  I know it is under 10 minutes as the game in deathmatch against bots goes for that long.
VRM1 is the one that goes up the VRM 2 is fine.   What are the safe limits for the VRM ?

I thought having the choice for XMP is that it would just work by simply selecting it. But as you say at least I did get it @2400

mixsetup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixsetup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 7:34pm
parsec I mean if the vrm temp keeps going up so I need to shut all programs down so the temps start dropping I may as well just buy another motherboard.

No had the FX9590 ( No overclock) sitting on my desk for about 2 years.  Had an overclocked FX 8150 @ somewhere over 4GHz

Current system

AMD FX-9590,  ASRock 990fx Extreme9 Motherboard,MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G , GeIL 16GB Kit DDR3 Evo Potenza @ 2400MHz, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 2 X 2TB SATA3 HDD, 2TB NAS , 1TB SATA3, 2 X 2TB external HDD, LG Blu-Ray RW

CPU Vcore min 0.272v max 1.528v
CPU temps stay between 15 to 31 usually but when render or if I ever get time playing a game up to 50c

One of the best features of this board is Photoshop is very quick to load and use as I am a graphic artist and have to leave the computer going for rendering.

Forgot

EK CoolStream PE 360 Triple Radiator
Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Fan static pressure is 1.25 changing to EK Furious Vardar Fan F5 120mm 3000RPM Black
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos Delrin CPU block static pressure 5.81 (next week)
EK D5 Laing Vario Motor @ 4770 half way.
EK XRES X2 250mm reservoir
Primochill tubes with Revolver fittings

5 other case fans.

Will take a picture when I'm not working this week sometime

Oh fan blowing on to VRM is just 80mm @ 3292rpm by AXTU love that software as one thing I love is even though these fans aren't currently the PWM fans like the ones I will be replacing with I can still control them  on this board with the software.

Edited by mixsetup - 24 Mar 2017 at 7:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic