ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x370 Gaming K4 Fataliity dr debug 0d

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x370 Gaming K4 Fataliity dr debug 0d
    Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:27pm
Hi,

I've put together a new rig
- Ryzen 1700
- K4 mobo x370
- G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZ RAM (3200 cl14, samsung b-die) - not on QVL list, but reported posting ok e.g. here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4668&title=corsair-memory-on-x370-gaming-k4 and on various sites (google) not on refenreced speed, but posting nevertheless
- my 'old' gtx 760 gigabyte

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to post, getting 0d in Dr. Debug, which is not very specific error (there's 15 a split of  a second before it goes 0d)
I've tried so far
- resitting CPU (twice)
- USing only 1 DIMM in all slots (both), using both dimms ina A1/B1 and A2/B2
- wobbling GPU ;) tried also in pcie 4 slot (though not supported a solo according to manual)

What else can I do to get it to POST? ;(

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by belven belven wrote:

Hi,

I've put together a new rig
- Ryzen 1700
- K4 mobo x370
- G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZ RAM (3200 cl14, samsung b-die) - not on QVL list, but reported posting ok e.g. here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4668&title=corsair-memory-on-x370-gaming-k4 and on various sites (google) not on refenreced speed, but posting nevertheless
- my 'old' gtx 760 gigabyte

No matter what I do, I cannot get it to post, getting 0d in Dr. Debug, which is not very specific error (there's 15 a split of  a second before it goes 0d)
I've tried so far
- resitting CPU (twice)
- USing only 1 DIMM in all slots (both), using both dimms ina A1/B1 and A2/B2
- wobbling GPU ;) tried also in pcie 4 slot (though not supported a solo according to manual)

What else can I do to get it to POST? ;(

Your link to a thread where you said your memory posted, contains nothing about that at all, it's a thread about Corsair memory and your board.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4668&title=corsair-memory-on-x370-gaming-k4

This is the memory you have?

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gtz

G.SKILL only list Intel 100 and 200 series chipset boards as compatible with that model.

The POST code of 0d is as specific as POST gets:

Problem related to memory, VGA card or other devices.
Please clear CMOS, re-install the memory and VGA card,
and remove other USB, PCI devices.

Sorry, but we cannot accept reports of this memory posting on other Ryzen systems as proof it works. Same board and processor, for example?

Ryzen memory compatibility is one of the major issues we see in this forum. At this early point of Ryzen's use, using memory not in the Memory QVL will be pure luck if it works or not.

G.SKILL's RAM Configurator shows these memory models as compatible:

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2986

You haven't mentioned clearing the BIOS/CMOS at all, which is necessary any time you move memory into different slots, or add it to a board.

You should be able to use either the A1 and B1, or A2 and B2 slots with that memory, which is Dual Ranked, correct?

belven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:10am

Sorry  about the link, i meant that: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4642&title=befuddling-ddr4-behavior-x370-gaming-k4-pro.

Yes, that is the memory I have. I know about RAM issues (with frequencies), but not about being able to POST issues. About compatibilty with chipsets and listing compatible platforms: so does 90 of the QVL list the last i checked ;).

Its single rank i believe, 16GB dimms are dual, these are 8 (in this RAM series).

Yea, its probable they are unable to POST because of incompatibility with this boar, however I was lead to belive these specific mems are quite good for x370 as a platform. First thing I will try is probably test with RAM from QVL. (but not today).

Anyhow: thanks for the tip about clearing cmos every time MEM is reinserted. I didn't know that. I cleared cmos once and it didn't help. I'll try some more tonight with 1/2 dimms and different configurations.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:17am
belvin, after clearing the bios via the battery out and jumpered method do they at least boot to the JEDEC default of I'm thinking 2133?

Give that a shot and post back please.

batter to battery, never batter Women or motherboards!

Edited by wardog - 26 Mar 2017 at 12:19am
belven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:53am
Uh, my fingers hurt ;)

Reporting back: no go, 0d, battery removal and cmos clearing after each placement had no effect on dual A1/B1 A2/B2 B1/B2 and random single Ax or Bx config.  Either these ramticks won't talk to this mobo or both are borked (brand new set: what are the odds?). Blah.
I"m going to my retailer with mobo+cpu+mem on monday and let them figure out what's wrong. If anything.

Thanks for help and tips.

I'll try to remember to post what was the cause when it gets resolved.

P.S.
If it's mobo's fault in the end, there's an impatience tax in it for me. I bought these mems for Taichi (yeah, not in QVL but great success for stable 2933 (cold boot)/3200 (warm boot) with  those mems according to many ...). And ffs: why its unbuyable .... K4 was here and now & pro is tad too much for tad not much more...

P.S. 2 
Why had i use http to log in ?

belven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 5:57am
ah and:
Quote belvin, after clearing the bios via the battery out and jumpered method do they at least boot to the JEDEC default of I'm thinking 2133?

I never managed to get to post screen. So no.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:20am

Uh, my fingers hurt ;)

hehehe I hear ya there I do.

Have the shop try out some diff memory sticks/kits as that's where me and parsec believe your issue lays.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:55am

Sorry  about the link, i meant that: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4642&title=befuddling-ddr4-behavior-x370-gaming-k4-pro.

Yes, that is the memory I have. I know about RAM issues (with frequencies), but not about being able to POST issues. About compatibilty with chipsets and listing compatible platforms: so does 90 of the QVL list the last i checked ;).

Its single rank i believe, 16GB dimms are dual, these are 8 (in this RAM series).

Yea, its probable they are unable to POST because of incompatibility with this boar, however I was lead to belive these specific mems are quite good for x370 as a platform. First thing I will try is probably test with RAM from QVL. (but not today).

Anyhow: thanks for the tip about clearing cmos every time MEM is reinserted. I didn't know that. I cleared cmos once and it didn't help. I'll try some more tonight with 1/2 dimms and different configurations.

Memory compatibility with Ryzen systems has become IMO the biggest issue we are dealing with.

We had a similar situation with the first platform that supported DDR4 (Intel X99) and the second (Intel 100 series chipset boards.) DDR4 memory for X99 processors was not always plug and play with Z170 boards, for example. The XMP profiles for X99 did not work perfectly with Z170 systems. Even the XMP profiles designed for Z170 systems did not work well. I could not use them, and just used the ASRock DRAM Tweaker feature for setting the basic memory parameters for a memory OC.

Currently we are trying to use DDR4 designed for a Z170 and/or Z270 system (your G.SKILL memory) with a Ryzen system. One simple example of how Ryzen systems differ with memory is the Command Rate (CR) parameter. The Ryzen memory controller prefers to use a CR of 1, while all the Intel DDR4 systems want a CR of 2. The default JEDEC and XMP memory parameter data for the pre-Ryzen DDR4 memory has the CR set to 2. Ask anyone with an X99, Z170, or Z270 board what the default and XMP data for the CR is. You won't see it in the memory specs at the manufacture's website.

Next, an editorial about a mother board's contribution to memory compatibility. What does a mother board have responsibility for regarding memory compatibility? The memory controller is part of a Ryzen processor, a design AMD and Intel have used for many years.  The memory controller is designed by the processor manufacture, and their specs are simply passed on to the user in the board's specifications. They cannot be changed or enhanced by a mother board.

So besides providing a good electrical connection between the DIMM slots and the CPU socket, what else does a mother board do regarding memory support? The UEFI/BIOS is the main part provided by the mother board manufacture that contributes to memory compatibility. That part has clearly been a challenge for board manufactures with Ryzen, a completely new platform.

Part of the problem is information from AMD slowly becoming known, at least for users like us. I also get the feeling it is similar for mother board manufactures, given what I have seen. For example, it was only two or three weeks ago that we (users) learned that the Ryzen memory controller (part of the CPU, not in the chipset or board) does not support the memory dividers for DDR4 3000 and 3200 speed memory.

So DDR4 3000 and 3200 speed memory cannot operate at those speeds on any Ryzen system. DDR4 3000 can run at 2933, which is stated in the ASRock specs for 3000 speed memory. 3200 memory is likely the same, 2933, but I have never seen confirmation of that.

Another problem with the "evolving" Ryzen memory specifications seems to be what worked in the past for one or more systems, does not work later on. Meaning as the UEFI/BIOS versions change and evolve, what once worked may no longer work. Can we guarantee that what one board's UEFI/BIOS has, that another similar one will too at the same time? No we can't. Maybe it should, but they may not. Do we know what UEFI version was being used when the memory worked compared to the UEFI version you have?

Personally, if I already had a certain model of memory that someone in a forum post said worked in a system, I would try to use it. Would I base a purchasing decision on that? No.

All I'm trying to do here is explain why you are having difficulty with the memory you have, and your Ryzen mother board.

Dual rank memory will have chips on both sides of the DIMM. The new higher density DDR4 memory chips can have 8GB single rank (chips on one side of the DIMM only) DIMMs, but it depends upon the chips being used by the manufacture.

Which reminds me of another situation with memory manufactures. Most of them don't make their own memory chips. G.SKILL and Corsair don't, they buy them from Hynix, Samsung, etc. The memory chip manufactures make changes to their products constantly, and a newer production run of a certain chip can be slightly different than the previous production run. So the chips G.SKILL and Corsair buy and use in certain models can change over time, in the same model of memory. That's why matched sets of DIMMs exist, and matter, they use all the same memory chips. It's possible that your kit of that "same" G.SKILL model of memory has different memory chips than the other person's DIMMs do. That explains why two kits of the "same model" of memory bought at different times, and used together, don't work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic