ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 K4 Bios Update Fail to post after

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:42am
Dear Happy2b1,

Greetings, this is ASRock TSD.

We test Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 from BIOS P1.60, L1.61 to L1.63 with instant flash and system can boot up properly.

With this model, we could boot up properly with two G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-16GRK memory modules without error after updating BIOS.

We will keep testing and take care of updating BIOS issue.

Thanks!

All the best,
ASRock TSD

Windows98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windows98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:09am
Welp... 2.10 bios is out. Should I give it a spin? 2.00 surely didn't go well...
debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 2:35am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

It's much to early to come to conclusions about what is happening with the Ryzen P-States, etc,  for many reasons. One important one is, the monitoring programs don't have Ryzen right yet. Even HWiNFO needs some work. CPU-Z cannot deal with Ryzen's RAID, it locks it up before it's done with its detecting phase.

Plus I've found that the UEFI/BIOS option settings for VCore and multipliers seem to affect what is shown in monitoring programs. I wish HWiNFO could show the P-State levels and percentages like it does with the Intel C-State levels and percentages.

Here's my HWiNFO example:

This is with the core multipliers set to 37, and the VCore set to Offset, and the offset value left on Auto. You can see the CPU frequency never changes, like yours. But the VCore can drop to a super low 0.384V, and yes it is stable, I just took that screenshot a few minutes ago. Also check the minimum core power values, below 0.1W. I'm using the Ryzen power plan, Windows 10. C n Q enabled, C6 enabled, and the P States expanded in their screen in the UEFI.

I have seen the 1.5V+ VIDs, with VCore set to Auto. Get rid of Auto if you want that gone. Just a VID though, so if like an Intel processor, not the true VCore.

With my Intel systems, Z270 and i7-7700K for example, if I used the Windows High Performance plan, the CPU frequency would stay high, and never drop to 800MHz, with all C states down to C7 enabled. But the C State monitoring in HWiNFO would show I was in C7 90+% of the time.

IMO, to early to say exactly what is going on precisely. Our tools are not good enough, and we are still learning Ryzen.

Hello, I noticed you have a fan for cooling VRM area, may I ask you how did you place it?

Windows98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windows98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Windows98 Windows98 wrote:

Welp... 2.10 bios is out. Should I give it a spin? 2.00 surely didn't go well...

Flipped a coin, coin said to do it. 

So I did.

Went fine. Big smile

Typing this on my Ryzen box right now. Wonder what the deal with 2.00 was...

Still seeing odd stock clock speeds, btw. I noticed if you change the minimum processor state from 90% to some other value (like 10%) the clock speeds will fall by half. hwinfo reflects ~2100 mhz.

Kind of interesting. 

Edited by Windows98 - 15 Apr 2017 at 7:23am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by debaser debaser wrote:

Hello, I noticed you have a fan for cooling VRM area, may I ask you how did you place it?

Good eyes, it was not hard but also not simple. The PC case you are using will make a difference if is possible to do or not.

This picture is of a different mother board in the same PC case I'm using for my Ryzen system. I'm using the same custom fan mount I made to hold an 80mm fan to cool the VRM heatsink.

It's a 2" L bracket from a hardware store, with the fan held on to it by a zip tie. The L bracket has holes in it, with a #6x32 screw with a plastic spacer connecting the L bracket to a magnet in the round chrome plated thing on the far right. The magnet is very strong, and hold the fan in place on the mount. The magnet thing is from a surplus store, so matching it will be difficult. I've changed the fan mount a little since this picture was taken, adding a second screw and magnet.

You can barely see the VRM heatsink, it's the red part you can see behind the fan. That's an ASRock 970 Performance /3.1 that I used with an FX-9590.

That case is a Cooler Master HAF XB "Test Bench and LAN box" PC case. It is nothing like a standard PC tower case, and just by luck allows me to mount the fan near the VRM heatsink.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265&ignorebbr=1

Honestly, this fan does not make that much difference, since this case has a 200mm fan in the top cover, blowing air down onto the board. If you can insure some air movement across the VRM heatsink areas, they won't over heat. When I was stress testing my 1700X at 3.9GHz, the CPU temperature was higher than the VRM temperature.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 9:10am

Flipped a coin, coin said to do it. 

So I did.

Went fine. Big smile

Typing this on my Ryzen box right now. Wonder what the deal with 2.00 was...

Still seeing odd stock clock speeds, btw. I noticed if you change the minimum processor state from 90% to some other value (like 10%) the clock speeds will fall by half. hwinfo reflects ~2100 mhz.

Kind of interesting. 

That's the AMD processor's Cool n Quiet feature enabled, and you might have the C6 C State power saving option enabled.

Under low load conditions, with those options enabled and the Power Plan configured as you said, the CPU will switch to a lower speed to save power. You might see even lower core speeds with the Minimum Processor state below 10%.

Even with the Minimum Processor state set to 90%, or using the AMD Ryzen Power plan, I see the VCore and core power usage changing to low values, which means most of the cores are in the C6 C State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic