ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Future Memory Support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
FYI, the X370 gaming K4 just got v1.94A.

Flashed it, still the same result. XMP Profile refuses to boot (boot loop into protection), dropping to 2993, same thing with longer wait times before reboots.
Back to 16-16-16-30 @ 2667MHz.

Again, model number is: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 according to CPU-Z
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by juanvr juanvr wrote:

FYI, the X370 gaming K4 just got v1.94A.

Flashed it, still the same result. XMP Profile refuses to boot (boot loop into protection), dropping to 2993, same thing with longer wait times before reboots.
Back to 16-16-16-30 @ 2667MHz.

Again, model number is: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 according to CPU-Z

That XMP on these sticks fails to boot comes as no surprise to me.

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16's XMP Profile(s) contains only data to be configured when used on an X99 board. And only X99 boards. X99 boards have a definitive short list of memory that works on such a finicky platform.

BIG diff!

Edited by wardog - 30 Mar 2017 at 6:49pm
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:00am

Ahh I get it now.

At the moment I'm pretty happy with the setup I have. Would just be nice to have the RAM run at the XMP speeds. The CPU is happy at 3600 with no voltage tweaks.

Ran a CPU-Z validation which is in the signature now.

I'm in the same boat. Sluggish RAM. I think the vast majority of early adopters probably are.

I'm thankful the system has been rock solid thus far. Running hotter than I would like, but then I only have a 120mm radiator (due to case size limitation).
juanvr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juanvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:13am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16's XMP Profile(s) contains only data to be configured when used on an X99 board. And only X99 boards. X99 boards have a definitive short list of memory that works on such a finicky platform.

BIG diff!

Yeah, I'm just hoping support comes eventually for them. I would have taken G.Skill Flare-X 3200s but they were out of stock down here in New Zealand, and no-one had any sort of date.
So I had to go with whatever was on the compatibility lists.

My mistake was trusting "Corsair Vengeance LPX" as "ALL Corsair Vengeance LPX kits".
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:46am

BIG diff!

Yeah, I'm just hoping support comes eventually for them. I would have taken G.Skill Flare-X 3200s but they were out of stock down here in New Zealand, and no-one had any sort of date.
So I had to go with whatever was on the compatibility lists.

My mistake was trusting "Corsair Vengeance LPX" as "ALL Corsair Vengeance LPX kits".

@wardog, Sigh, you can try to explain things...

juanvr, the DDR4 XMP profile data for Intel X99 processor memory controllers won't work with the Ryzen memory controller. The memory controllers are different, and some of the memory settings are different. When using DDR4 memory designed for other systems with a Ryzen system, the memory timings must be set manually.

How can the Ryzen memory controller, a piece of hardware that is part of the CPU, be changed by a UEFI/BIOS update to support the XMP data/settings for the memory controller of Intel Haswell-E and Broadwell-E processors? The good news is at least your Corsair memory will work with a Ryzen system.

All modern memory also contains multiple sets of basic timing data for different non-over clocked supported speeds of a model of memory. That data is referred to as the JEDEC or SPD data, which you can view in the CPU-Z SPD tab. One set of that data is the memory timing data used for the default speed of your memory, most likely 2133. The SPD data allows a mother board's UEFI/BIOS to automatically set the timing parameters for our memory.

XMP data is simply another convenience for setting memory timings to the correct values for the "EXtreme Memory Performance" speed of memory. That is the over clocked speed of your memory, which is any speed beyond the specifications of the memory controller in your CPU. Unfortunately, we've become used to using it, and the memory manufactures don't provide any other information about the timing settings for their products.

If you cannot set memory parameters manually, you'll simply need to wait for Ryzen specific memory to be available. Of course a valid question is, what are the correct timing settings to be used with the Ryzen memory controller with your model of memory?

That is something that Corsair should provide for you. If they tell you to use the XMP profile, you know that does not work, and is a wrong answer. If they tell you to wait for mother board BIOS support, they are putting you off, and just hoping the mother board manufacture will do their work for them.

Here are some example timings for your memory that was CPU-Z verified on a good sized set of Ryzen boards. Note that setting the Command Rate (CR) to 1T is needed for achieving higher speeds, which is something that will never be found in DDR4 XMP data for Intel processors. Also note, reaching 3200 is very rare (so far), and if you are at 2666 now, you are above average.

http://rymem.vraith.com/detailed_ram/715
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

@wardog, Sigh, you can try to explain things...

You did a fine job there explaining it.

I might have added some golden nuggets of my own in there yet the point is moot considering that kit only has X99 XMP Profile(s). And he seemed intent on using/setting XMP in the BIOS. XMP=NO , manually=maybe. By his results the best I can say is "Hey.... They're working".

No offense meant juanvr. Just calling 'em as I know 'em.

In the future juanvr, look at the Sticky list and links I created for AM4/Ryzen Specific Memory:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4565&title=am4-ryzen-specific-memory

Edited by wardog - 31 Mar 2017 at 9:27am
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 2:38pm
The Flare X sticks came off of Back Order, so I bought some. Probably won't be here until Monday or Tuesday, but fingers crossed they work as well as they're supposed to ;)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
My X370 Killer SLI/ac will be here next Tuesday, along with a 1700X.

Get ready for some Ryzen memory tricks boys and girls. Zennn........

debaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 7:36pm

My X370 Killer SLI/ac will be here next Tuesday, along with a 1700X.

Get ready for some Ryzen memory tricks boys and girls. Zennn........

Thank you, I own an X370 Killer SLI and with latest bios 2.0 can't get past 2933MHz with 2x8GB Samsung B-Die sticks, really looking forward to those memory tricks Smile

My sticks are 3600 CL17 and can boot to windows at 3200 and can surf the web, but get errors on stress tests.

Edited by debaser - 31 Mar 2017 at 7:41pm
Nemesis.ie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nemesis.ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 12:03am
Speaking of RAM.

I just updated the UEFI on my AsRock X370 Gaming Pro from 1.60 to 1.93D. It cleans up the interface a lot and adds in profile saving and such which is nice to see, however, here's the bad news:

Per AIDA64 @ ~3900MHz OC on the CPU, RAM (3733Mhz Team TF @ 3200MHz) bandwidth in 1.93D is down to ~44,000MB/sec versus the ~51,000MB/sec in 1.60.

~Asrock: can we have the speed back please?

If this was changed for compatibility, maybe open the settings used so the default is compatibility/slow but those of us with modules than can handle it can get the extra speed.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic