ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SOLVED-Windows won't boot after enabling IES

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOLVED-Windows won't boot after enabling IES
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:02pm
As chronicled in this other thread, I've been battling with stability issues for months.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4073&title=970-extreme3-r20-random-hard-freezes-at-idle

Since I had never explored IES in the Tuner utility, I thought I'd give it a shot and change the setting.. I think I enabled it (from disabled), but the screen is not quite clear.

Well instantly, the computer restarted.. and everytime the Windows logo pops on the screen, it restarts again.  I'm not even sure I can get into safe mode..  I don't recall enabling Auto-Run either, unless enabling IES did this.  Does it change the power plan or something?

Can this setting be changed in the BIOS?  Can I temporarily change my BIOS settings in order to get into Windows?  I have the CPU underclocked and undervolted right now, with C1 and C6 disabled.

What can I try to reverse course here?

Does the utility try to initialize early in the boot process?  Maybe if I can just get in and kill the tuner EXE file that will suffice?

Edited by MSwol1 - 07 Apr 2017 at 6:31am
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:14am
No thoughts?

My first idea is to bump voltage back near stock in the BIOS.. then try to get into Windows.
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 6:31am
Temporarily bumping the voltage back up in the BIOS allowed me to get back into Windows to turn IES OFF.

Thank god.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:43am
I believe enabling any setting will automatically enable Auto-Run.

I'm piqued why it rebooted as you say though.

Look in A-Tuning/F-Stream if auto run is set, and or, also in process explorer if it's running.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:35am
Originally posted by MSwol1 MSwol1 wrote:

Temporarily bumping the voltage back up in the BIOS allowed me to get back into Windows to turn IES OFF.

Thank god.

Clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on your board would have set the VCore back to its Auto setting, and allowed you to boot into Windows.
MSwol1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSwol1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by MSwol1 MSwol1 wrote:

Thank god.

Clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper on your board would have set the VCore back to its Auto setting, and allowed you to boot into Windows.

Well, good to know now.

Why not just change it in the BIOS?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic