ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi Crossfire Issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi Crossfire Issue
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:10pm
I've recently purchased the X370 Taichi and am having an issue getting crossfire working consistently with a pair of R9 280x GPUs.

I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, BIOS version 1.60, all motherboard settings are default and Radeon software version 16.12.2.

On initial assembly of the PC I was able to install the AMD GPU drivers and enable crossfire successfully. After a reboot I noticed crossfire was no longer enabled. Opening up Radeon settings shows the second GPU as disabled and there is no option to enable crossfire. If I reboot the PC the enable crossfire setting becomes available and I'm once again able to configure and run crossfire successfully. After enabling crossfire again it will only stay enabled for another one or two reboots before the cycle starts again.

I've noticed two things that indicate that crossfire has been disabled again when I boot into Windows; If the network connection icon show no connection on the login screen or if the speakers icon shows the audio service is not running after logging in.

The R9 280x GPUs do work without issue on another PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the same (or later) Radeon software version.

I'm not sure whether this issue is a motherboard issue or not, hence why I writing here to see if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem or knows of a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by TooQik - 06 Apr 2017 at 10:11pm
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 11:39am
I've been doing some more testing with the following results:

• Radeon software version 17.4.1 installed - issue remains.
  • Latest 2.0 BIOS - issue remains.

I have noticed that crossfire doesn't disable when performing a cold boot, it only appears to disable on every other warm boot.

It's also worth mentioning that since updating to the 2.0 BIOS every second warm boot also results in booting to a blue screen with the mouse pointer where you would normally login to Windows; power cycling the PC resolves the issue.

TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 2:03pm
Some more test results, I installed both GPUs back into my old PC which runs an FX8350 on a Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard with Windows 10 64 bit - crossfire works perfectly no matter which version of Radeon software I try and I experience no issues with crossfire disabling itself between PC reboots.

Putting the GPUs back into the Ryzen 1700 system again results in blue screens and crossfire disabled.

Running a single GPU works fine.

Again, the blue screens have only appeared after the BIOS update to 2.0 so the BIOS is definitely affecting the system in some way, which points to the problem potentially being motherboard related.

Would love to hear from anyone else running crossfire on their Asrock X370 Taichi regardless if you have it working or not, as it may help me determine where my problem lies.
JoJoDaClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoJoDaClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 3:11am
Maybe check the settings related to the PCIe slots and Crossfire in the BIOS? 
Are you trying to force the PCIe slot to 16x? (In Crossfire, the slots can only run in 8x mode).
I think I have it all set to Auto. My Crossfire is working fine, btw, Taichi MoBo.
Do you have the single ribbon bridge installed between your GPU's? You didn't install the SLI bridge that came with the Motherboard, right?
Do you have your monitors both plugged into the GPU installed in the PCIE2 slot?
Power connections to the GPU?

Ryzen 1800X
ASRock X370 Taichi
GSkill TridentZ CL14 3200
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:00am
Thanks for the feedback JoJo.

It's great to know that someone else is running Crossfire on this board and it's working as expected. May I ask what GPUs , BIOS version and OS you're using?

To answer your questions, I checked the BIOS for both PCIe and Crossfire settings in both the 1.60 and 2.0 BIOS versions when troubleshooting the issue but any changes I made seemed to have zero affect; currently everything is set to Auto. It's worth noting that some of the PCIe configuration has been removed from the 2.0 BIOS.

The Crossfire ribbon cable is installed. I've even tried different cables in case I was having a cable issue but this makes no difference. Definitely didn't install the SLI bridge.

I'm running a single monitor and have it connected to the first GPU ie PCIe2.

Power connections to both GPUs are definitely connected and working.

Currently I've removed the second GPU to allow the system to behave normally. I'm leaning towards reinstalling Windows again to see this fixes the issue, but at this stage I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem.

JoJoDaClown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoJoDaClown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by TooQik TooQik wrote:

Thanks for the feedback JoJo.

It's great to know that someone else is running Crossfire on this board and it's working as expected. May I ask what GPUs , BIOS version and OS you're using?

To answer your questions, I checked the BIOS for both PCIe and Crossfire settings in both the 1.60 and 2.0 BIOS versions when troubleshooting the issue but any changes I made seemed to have zero affect; currently everything is set to Auto. It's worth noting that some of the PCIe configuration has been removed from the 2.0 BIOS.

The Crossfire ribbon cable is installed. I've even tried different cables in case I was having a cable issue but this makes no difference. Definitely didn't install the SLI bridge.

I'm running a single monitor and have it connected to the first GPU ie PCIe2.

Power connections to both GPUs are definitely connected and working.

Currently I've removed the second GPU to allow the system to behave normally. I'm leaning towards reinstalling Windows again to see this fixes the issue, but at this stage I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem.

I'm running MSI 7950's, Win 10, and currently BIOS 2.0, but my crossfire was working on 1.4 when I started the system up the first time.

I'll have to take a closer look at my system to confirm crossfire is working as intended. My PC works fine and gaming fine, but I haven't verified the 2nd GPU is listed as enabled and crossfire enabled. I'll have to think of a crossfire friendly game and try it out.

Ryzen 1800X
ASRock X370 Taichi
GSkill TridentZ CL14 3200
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 11:23pm
you have selected 2x8 instead of 1x16 in the bios ?
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:23am
Originally posted by JoJoDaClown JoJoDaClown wrote:

I'm running MSI 7950's, Win 10, and currently BIOS 2.0, but my crossfire was working on 1.4 when I started the system up the first time.

I'll have to take a closer look at my system to confirm crossfire is working as intended. My PC works fine and gaming fine, but I haven't verified the 2nd GPU is listed as enabled and crossfire enabled. I'll have to think of a crossfire friendly game and try it out.

Cheers for the info.

GPU-Z will let you check the current crossfire status, as will AMD Radeon Settings.
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:26am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

you have selected 2x8 instead of 1x16 in the bios ?

Tried both the 1x16 and 2x8 options for the PCIe configuration on the 1.60 BIOS and it made no difference.

The PCIe switch option is no longer available on the 2.0 BIOS though.

I've also tried disabling ULPS in the Windows registry. This improved the situation some what in that I now have less frequent blue screens where the Windows login screen would normally appear but crossfire is still disabling itself on consecutive successful Windows boots.

I still haven't tried a Windows reinstall, I'll attempt this on the coming Easter weekend.

Edited by TooQik - 12 Apr 2017 at 10:32am
TooQik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooQik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 9:10am
Well, tried reinstalling Windows and this makes no difference either.

I'm currently at a loss as to what to try next so any/all suggestions welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic