ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 SLI Killer - System doesnt see one ram stick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 SLI Killer - System doesnt see one ram stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiolin.fiolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:14pm
ok thank you...

Now regarding if i will be able to run my memory on its full potential (2933 MHz), my question:

But most memory modules, WILL work in future, just needing a bios update... There is nothing hardware wise or anything else, that is not fixable with bios (or other "software") updates... Correct?

Or is there a possibility that even countless updates in the future there will be a lot RAMs that wont work at ryzen (or wont work with ryzen on their native (higher) frequencies...?)

I have been told that bios updates should solve 95% of the issues... i just need to wait... correct?

Im asking because im still in the return date policy. In my country i have 14 days to return withotu reason goods bought over internet (which i did with this ram)...

Is there a big chance that it will NEVER be compatible with ryzen on its 2933 MHz? Should i return it...? (if yes, what to buy instead (cheap))?

Thank you
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by fiolin.fiolin fiolin.fiolin wrote:

Thats for real...? I have never heard that one ram slo not working properly could be due to one CPU pins being bend...?
Where did you get this...?

(also i was carefull to seat the CPU, even before seating gave the empty socket (and also the pins below the CPU) an air blow (by mouth) to make sure nothing was stuck there that could interfere with the connection...). But i cannot believe that even if one pin was bend that it could behave like this...? There would have to be some more special problems... not just one RAM slot possibly not working...? And everyhing else seems to work ok,

Every pin on a CPU has a purpose. IF one of the main memory data signal pins on the CPU for a memory slot was damaged or not connected, the memory stick cannot communicate with the memory controller perfectly. If all the connections between the CPU's memory controller and a memory slot are not perfect, how can it work right? That is just basic electronics for complicated things like a PC.

Can you cut one wire somewhere in a car, and the car won't start? Of course.

The idea of a bent pin on the CPU is just another reason why the memory slot MIGHT not be working. We don't know if that is the problem, just an example of what can happen. It is a real problem that has existed since the very first PCs. Search with Google on "bent CPU pins", I did and got 184,000 results.

A bent CPU pin does not mean the memory slot does not work. It would mean the connection between the memory controller and the memory stick is not perfect, so the memory stick cannot work as it normally would.

The way PC memory works is very complicated, and is affected by the memory chips on the memory sticks. The memory controller in a CPU has specifications about the memory chips it can work with. If the memory chip design does not match the specs of the memory controller, they cannot work together. No BIOS update can fix that hardware compatibility situation.

Why are there certain memory speeds like 2133, 2400, 2666, or 3000? Why not any number or speed? That is caused by very complicated things in the architecture of a CPU, that most of us do not understand.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:02am
You're in one of Ryzens Mhz holes at 3000. That's why the BIOS automatically downclocks it to 2933. It states as much in the manual and on this MB's product pages.

This DOES NOT explain your system only seeing 1 stick and in your last post you seem to be ignoring this. Again, with experience, if one single slot is acting up regardless of what stick you put in it that usually signifies a bent pin(s). It happens to the best of us. I'm known on rare occasion to still do it. It happens, and is easy to do.

You need to pull the processor. As I said it may be a pin issue, or, and this is just as believable, and much cheaper, the processor just needs re-seated.

But either on of those two is more believable that a defective mem slot.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic