ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 SLI Killer - System doesnt see one ram stick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 SLI Killer - System doesnt see one ram stick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiolin.fiolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 SLI Killer - System doesnt see one ram stick
    Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 4:03pm

Hello i have AsRock X370 SLI Killer board with 1700. And this ram: RAMs (3000Mhz): https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8

I have put one in the A1 ram socket (nearest the CPU) and one to the B1 socket, according to this:

https://s16.postimg.org/cbdcvvcwl/image.jpg

I tried to start it up, ok, went to the bios and i see that the ryzen on its first page of UEFI bios says i have 8192 MB ram... and it sees only the ram in the b1 socket and also ranks my system as single channel... (Altough i have 16 GB of ram, 2 sticks, dual channel, properly plugged to the RAM slots.

WTF is this...? Im pretty sure i pushed both rams fully, was checking it before i mounted my big scythe ninja 4 cooler. Also currently it also looks like both rams are plugged fully in...

Whats the problem...?

(i would really love to avoid unpluggin and replugging the ram in the 1st slots that it doesnt see since i would have to remove my big cooler and it was difficult to mount in the first place...

wheres the problem?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 4:42pm
2 RAM modules should be installed in slots A2 and B2 which that image also states. The only time you need to use A1 and B1 is if you are using 4 modules.

There is no way around having to pull the RAM. Its unfortunate but necessary to troubleshoot RAM issues.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 7:54pm
Odds are the memory "latches' at the middle of the board didn't fully engage.

Meaning, try pressing down on this end to seat the mem fully.

Too, if you had to move the mem from A1+B1 to A2+B2, be sure to reset your BIOS after moving but before booting up.
fiolin.fiolin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiolin.fiolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:02pm
So i moved the mem to A2+B2 and it STILL saw only 1 memory stick...
THen i tried to move the memory to B1+B2 and voila... it saw both memory but was still single channel displayed (yeah wrong slots, but at least it saw both).. then  itried a lot of combination with only 1 stick at a time... (putting different piece of 1 ram to different slot) and it saw it ok... Then again after a longer time i tried toi put both ram sticks at one time (A2+B2) and voila... it worked... saw all two ram dimms (sticks) and correctly displayes mutlichannel...

Now the question is... did i for the first time (A1+B1) and for the second time (A2+B2) just by accident didnt push both rams down enough...? I would argue that for the first time they simply had to bee correctly placed since i pushed them down with enough force and then visualy controlled that they have the same height (e.g. are both pushed in fully), this was even before installing my large CPU cooler...

So it works now correctly... (still both are recognized only as 2133 MHz altough both are 3000 MHz, but i will play with that later)....

My worry is now about the first ram slot (nearest the CPU) being broken/corrupted... What are the chances...? I will be buying in the next 2-3 years deffinitelly more ram (additional 2*16 GB ram sticks) so i will need ALL my RAM slots being fully operational...

1) Now im worried the first slot if simply defective... What are the possibilities?

2) In the future in 2-3 years, will i be able to fuly run all 4 sticks of ram on their native frequencies? (3000 MHz)?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:52pm
First, your Corsair memory, which as we can see on the Amazon page you posted, is designed for Intel X99 and 100 series chipset boards. That information is from Corsair.

Corsair would like us to believe that all of their DDR4 memory models are compatible with Ryzen systems, but as we know now, it's not that simple, or true.

The XMP profiles in your memory, designed for the memory controllers in Intel processors, don't work with the Ryzen memory controller. The Ryzen memory controller is different than Intel's. For example, Ryzen does not support a memory speed of 3000 and 3400. DDR4 3000 memory must be set manually to 2933.

Ryzen's memory controller, at any speed above 2133, needs a Command Rate (CR) of 1. I have used DDR4 memory with my X99, Z170, H110, and Z270 Intel systems, and all of the XMP profiles or default JEDEC SPD data has the CR set to 2.

Your board has the single locking latch style memory slots, which are more tricky to get the memory fully seated in the slot. The only way we could know if the memory was seated correctly is if we could see the board ourselves. So impossible for us to know if the A1 slot is bad, I would say it is not bad.

The default speed of your DDR4 memory is 2133, so it is normal for it to run at that speed until you set it to its higher speed. But as I said, you cannot use the XMP profile to do that, since it won't have the correct settings for a Ryzen system.

You plan on buying another set of that memory in two or more years? That means using two sets of unmatched memory together. Good luck with that, there are reasons why memory is sold in matched sets. Don't be surprised if they don't work together. Also, the greater the amount of memory being used, the more difficult it is to have it running at a higher speed. Check any board's memory support list for examples of that.

The Ryzen platform is still very new, and updates from AMD for memory compatibility are still being provided by AMD. Memory compatibility is the biggest issue Ryzen has now, and even DDR4 memory that was designed for Ryzen do not work perfectly yet.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by fiolin.fiolin fiolin.fiolin wrote:

My worry is now about the first ram slot (nearest the CPU) being broken/corrupted... What are the chances...?

snip

1) Now im worried the first slot if simply defective... What are the possibilities?

The possibilities are greater that you have a bent or missing pin on your processor.

Time to pull the processor, get a magnifying glass and light source, and inspect the pins.

The upside to doing that is sometimes, sometimes, the simple act of re-seating a good processor allows for one or more(?) of the pins that weren't making proper contact to do so and run fine afterwards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiolin.fiolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:04am

But most memory modules, WILL work in future, just needing a bios update... There is nothing hardware wise or anything else, that is not fixable with bios (or other "software") updates... Correct?

Or is there a possibility that even countless updates in the future there will be a lot RAMs that wont work at ryzen (or wont work with ryzen on their native (higher) frequencies...?)

I have been told that bios updates should solve 95% of the issues... i just need to wait... correct?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiolin.fiolin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:08am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

My worry is now about the first ram slot (nearest the CPU) being broken/corrupted... What are the chances...?

snip

The possibilities are greater that you have a bent or missing pin on your processor.

Time to pull the processor, get a magnifying glass and light source, and inspect the pins.

The upside to doing that is sometimes, sometimes, the simple act of re-seating a good processor allows for one or more(?) of the pins that weren't making proper contact to do so and run fine afterwards.

Thats for real...? I have never heard that one ram slo not working properly could be due to one CPU pins being bend...?
Where did you get this...?

(also i was carefull to seat the CPU, even before seating gave the empty socket (and also the pins below the CPU) an air blow (by mouth) to make sure nothing was stuck there that could interfere with the connection...). But i cannot believe that even if one pin was bend that it could behave like this...? There would have to be some more special problems... not just one RAM slot possibly not working...? And everyhing else seems to work ok,
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 5:23am
The memory controller (IMC) is located on the CPU die these days so yes, a bent pin can prevent slots from working or cause dual channel not to work etc. I have seen it numerous times, this isn't a guess, its a fact.

It may not be the case in your situation but it is certainly something worth ruling out. With intel CPUs bent pins are one of the most common causes of memory banks not working correctly/at all. AMD may be a little different but the IMC is still located on the CPU die so it is therefore still susceptible to the same issue.  

Before you lay blame on the physical memory slots you need to rule out a defective CPU, bent pins or improper seating of the CPU. The last thing you want is to return the wrong part and end up with the same issue.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:57pm

Thats for real...? I have never heard that one ram slo not working properly could be due to one CPU pins being bend...?
Where did you get this...?

Yes. That's for real.

30+ years working with AMDs is where my knowledge and advice comes from. 17yrs owning my own computer shop doesn't come w/o seeing just about everything AMD can throw at me  Wink

Thanks Xaltar. After reading that post I quoted here all I will say is you went further than I planned on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic