ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Killer SLI/AC Boot Loop/No Video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Killer SLI/AC Boot Loop/No Video
    Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:33am
Just as the title says. My Killer mobo is trapped in a never ending boot loop. There's also no video signal.

My memory is a G.Skill Fortis 8gbx2. I checked G.Skill's forum and it says it's compatible with this mobo.

This forum even list the Fortis as compatible.

So what's wrong?

Is it a bad mobo, bad mem modules?

One more thing. One of the wifi things in the back came loose and is all wiggly. Is that affecting booting somehow?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:40am
I see everything there except you mentioning a graphics cad, which is req'd for Ryzen as Ryzen doesn't have a dGPU built in.
Chae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:47am
Sorry. My GPU is an MSI 1080 GTX.

My problem has been solved by using different memory.  A PNY Anarchy 8gbx2 allowed me to post and start the rig.

My mobo has BIOS 1.50 came right out of the box.

Either my G.Skill mem are defective or 1.50 version doesn't support the Fortis.

And the Internet Flash option is missing from the Tools menu list.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:56am
Don't use anything but Instant Flash from within the BIOS itself.

Are you 100% positive BOTH Fortis sticks were fully seated into the slots? You should hear 2 clicks when they seat properly. G.Skill uses IIRC an 8-layer PCB that is sometimes tricky to fully seat.
Chae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:01am
100% certain. Heard the click.

The Fortis ram would not allow the system to boot. It would get stuck in a boot loop; restarting itself over and over again.

I'm going to update the BIOS now and see if the 2.00 version works with my Fortis.
Chae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:15am
Ok. Instant Flash isnt available in the Tools menu. All I see is driver update and some other options. Nothing about Instant Flash or similar.
Chae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 8:18am
Is it safe to update the BIOS using the windows utility update version?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Chae Chae wrote:

Ok. Instant Flash isnt available in the Tools menu. All I see is driver update and some other options. Nothing about Instant Flash or similar.

Originally posted by Chae Chae wrote:

Is it safe to update the BIOS using the windows utility update version?

The Instant Flash tool is added in UEFI version 1.60. But to install 1.60 the only options are the DOS and Windows methods, as you know.

I guess you don't feel like using the DOS method, since that requires a bootable USB flash drive.

Actually, the DOS method runs Instant Flash within DOS, if you check the DOS instructions, here (Sorry, the forum link tool fails on some URLs like this one, so text only. Just highlight it, right click and select an Open option):

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=DOS8

The Windows update method simply seems to have the most failures. I'm not sure why, I get the feeling people use it with the CPU and/or memory over clocked, and who knows what programs running at the same time. All of that is a mistake.

I can't say it would be better to use the Windows method for the 1.60 version, in order to get the Instant Flash feature, and then update to 2.00 with Instant Flash. I trust Instant Flash, never had a failure yet, but the choice is yours.

If you use the Windows method, no over clock of the CPU or memory, stock/default UEFI settings only, unless you have RAID enabled, don't boot with the SATA mode changed to AHCI if you installed Windows in RAID mode. Actually this advice applies to any type of UEFI update.

Instructions for using the Windows method are here, please read them first:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=Windows9

Super important thing at the bottom of the instructions. IF the update fails for some reason, DO NOT TURN OFF THE PC! That will guarantee a bricked board!! Try to get into Windows again to repeat the process, or consider your other options.

I'm not trying to scare you out of doing the update, just coaching you about things I've known other users have done in the past, and their bad results.

PLEASE have no other programs running! If you have whatever programs auto-starting, kill them with Task Manager first. You want a super stable Windows environment. I don't care if it is CPU-Z or a hardware monitoring program, don't have anything running.

Two things I will add are, copy the Windows update download file to your OS drive if it is not already there. Unzip the file and go into the folder created and follow the instructions. When you run the UpdateBIOS batch file as shown in the instructions, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

Please let us know how it goes.
Chae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 9:50am
Updated using the windows utility method. BIOS updated successfully, no problems.

Edited by Chae - 10 Apr 2017 at 9:52am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:19am
Great, thanks!

I still don't understand why some users have trouble with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic