ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need SMD marking information on z77 extre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need SMD marking information on z77 extre
    Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 11:47pm

Hi,

My z77 extreme 4 is not working, it seems that the surface mount resistor F5 gets burned and I need to replace it. Anyone could help me to check the marking of this surface mount component F5? Thank you very much in advance!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 2:50am
I'm can't take a picture now, but I have a Z77 Extreme4 board in its box, so I can easily check it.

Using a magnifying glass, I can easily see the F5 part and its markings.

It has a 'P' on top, and the number is 260.

Triple checked, the number is 260.

Good luck with your repair!
ahnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 8:34am
Great thanks for your help. According to the number 260, it may not be a resistor, it may be a resettable fuse.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 10:53am
Yes, the standard nomenclature used with circuit boards assigns 'F' to fuses, and 'R' to resistors.

This part resembles a power resistor, I would agree, but a fuse is in many ways similar.

The question becomes what is the purpose of that fuse, so you can track down whatever is being fused by that part, in case a failure of another component caused the fuse to blow.

I looked over my Z77 Extreme4 board, and found four more identical fuses, and they are exactly the same as the one you want to replace.

One can be found along the right edge of the board, about 7cm above the gray SATA port, just above Q749.

Another is in the upper left hand area of the board, about 4 cm above the VRM heat sink with "EXTREME" written on it.

The other two are close together just to the left of the same VRM heat sink I mentioned above.

IMO, it seems that all these fuses, including the one that is blown on your board, are for the power for the various USB headers and USB ports on the board.

The one that is blown on your board may have been caused by an overload of the power draw on the USB 2.0 ports connected to either USB _2_3, USB_4_5, or USB_6_7.

So your board is not working at all, it won't start up at all or what happens when you apply power?
ahnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 5:45pm
Yeah you are right, they are most likely used to control the usb port current. I measure the resistance of it and it is basically open circuit whereas the other 4 normal  p260 fuse have zero ohm. My board is not working suddenly at all and it won't start up. May be due to other component failures but I can't see other burned components or broken traces. Anyway I will replace that broken fuse first and see how it works. Thanks again for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic