ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Intel wifi is very, very weak -Asrock Fatal1ty X99
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intel wifi is very, very weak -Asrock Fatal1ty X99

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intel wifi is very, very weak -Asrock Fatal1ty X99
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:54pm
Are you sure you screwed the antennas in ALL the way? Some turn in easy until the pin begins to be forced into the contact section.

Also, unscrew them and in the connector end of the actual antennas themselves, look that the "pin' is still centered and not instead bent off to one side.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by bowman9991 bowman9991 wrote:

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Oh c'mon man! I'm dying here laughing.

You gonna list out the router or whatever?

Not sure why you would be"dying here laughing"? What exactly did I do/say that was funny?

You in the 1st post, as still even though I asked, haven't listed what the X99 is trying to connect to.

NM.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by bowman9991 bowman9991 wrote:

Not sure why you would be"dying here laughing"? What exactly did I do/say that was funny? 

Parsec, 
I checked the connections couldn't see anything wrong/disconnected.

My Wifi model number is: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC3160
Driver details: 18.33.6.2
19/2/2017

Power settings are set to maximum.
Tried adjusting the multiple options in the "Advanced" settings tab with no luck.

Is there a way to completely remove the module and buy another one? 
Or is this something that you need to solder in, etc.

Thanks,
John

Your 3160 WiFi module is not soldered in place, it uses a type of M.2 slot,  E key type. If you attempt to replace it, be VERY careful you get a compatible module. Physically compatible in size and in the M.2 slot type. You could try removing an inserting it again, in case of a bad connection.

Intel Product Brief for the 3160 WiFi module:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-3160-bluetooth-brief.html

Latest drivers for the 3160:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75442/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3160

The Advanced tab you mentioned, was that for the Power Plan settings?

If so, try opening the Device Manager entry for the 3160, in case any configuration options might help.

So you can sit with a cell phone next to the PC, and pick up multiple neighboring networks, but not with the PC's WiFi?  If so, that seems like an antenna problem.

bowman9991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowman9991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:44am

Parsec, 
I checked the connections couldn't see anything wrong/disconnected.

My Wifi model number is: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC3160
Driver details: 18.33.6.2
19/2/2017

Power settings are set to maximum.
Tried adjusting the multiple options in the "Advanced" settings tab with no luck.

Is there a way to completely remove the module and buy another one? 
Or is this something that you need to solder in, etc.

Thanks,
John

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 4:46pm
Oh c'mon man! I'm dying here laughing.

You gonna list out the router or whatever?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowman9991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:47pm
Thanks for the response.

Haven't checked inside the WiFI module (wires between antenna and module). Will do so after I get home from work.

Have tried device manager config options (but will double check).

Will get Power plan, Adaptor settings, etc. and post. Will check if its set to maximum.

Will post WiFi model info too.

I've used multiple wireless connections at home. Every other device in the house is not having any problems seeing the router (or any external networks). Most will display up to 10 connections inside and outside the house to connect to. Computer shows none.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 12:19pm
Have you checked the connections to the WiFi card from the antenna? The two wires that connect to the WiFi card itself?

Have you tried any of the configuration options in the Device Manager entry for the wireless adapter?

What is the Windows Power Plan, Wireless Adapter Settings, Power Saving Mode set to? Depending on the Power Plan you use, it may not be set to Maximum Performance.

What is the Intel WiFi card in that board? The Device Manager entry will provide the model number.

Have you used a wireless connection in your home in the past?

The wireless adapter provided with my ASRock board, an Intel 3168, works fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowman9991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:41am
Just built a new system using this the Asrock Fatal1ty X99 professional gaming i7. Everything is outstanding, apart from the Intel wifi!
Doesn't pick up any of my home networks (or surroundings at all). Does pick up my phone using a mobile hotspot, but only if it's right next to it.
The signal strength is extremely low/weak - almost non existant.

I'm using the latest bios and all drivers are up to date (from ASRock website). Would anyone have any other ideas I could try (not listed below)?
Really don't want to have to return the board or find another one from a different manufacturer. I love everything else. Build specs are below.
Cheers,
John

What I've checked/done already:
1. Antennas are plugged in properly. 
2. I've tried resetting all network connections.
3. Reinstalled all drivers - multiple times.
4. Reset Windows 10 from scratch.
5. Turned off fast boot in bios.
6. Made sure nothing is interfering with signal around case and antennas.
7. Used Intel drivers instead (direct from their website rather than Asrock).
8. Reset to optimised bios defaults.
9. Pulled out other expansion cards.
10. Checked network sharing options.
11. Turned firewall on/off.
12. Jumped up and down on the spot.

Motherboard:
Asrock X99 professional gaming i7 
Chip:
Intel Core i7 6950X Extreme Edition
Bios:
Video card:
Asus 1080 ti founders edition