ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

More startup woes X370 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More startup woes X370 Taichi
    Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:29am
Ran the memtest86  using the old nvidia 6800 card, then loaded linux debian 9.  Worked so fine.  Spent about 12 hours downloading and installing most of the software I use on a regular basis but most of the time was just choosing which packages to download.  You'd think they'd make Octave and all it's supbarts ONE single package.  But, nooooo....

So the GTX 1050 Ti arrives.  Yay.
Install it in the computer and now Debian fails to boot.  Boo.
It gave errors that 1) wifi drivers could not be found, and 2) bluetooth drivers could not be found now.  There is where it hangs on boot, where before it booted several times with no sweat.  Just installed the new video card.  What gives?

Did a virgin install of the same Debian 9  onto the SATA hard drive (was using an M.2 drive.)  Even that dies on boot at the exact same place.

I'm stumped.  Ideas, please?

Maybe I should try the new Ubuntu (but I really don't want to.)

Thanks,
skypuppy
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 11:43am
Originally posted by skypuppy skypuppy wrote:

Ran the memtest86  using the old nvidia 6800 card, then loaded linux debian 9.  Worked so fine.  Spent about 12 hours downloading and installing most of the software I use on a regular basis but most of the time was just choosing which packages to download.  You'd think they'd make Octave and all it's supbarts ONE single package.  But, nooooo....

So the GTX 1050 Ti arrives.  Yay.
Install it in the computer and now Debian fails to boot.  Boo.
It gave errors that 1) wifi drivers could not be found, and 2) bluetooth drivers could not be found now.  There is where it hangs on boot, where before it booted several times with no sweat.  Just installed the new video card.  What gives?

Did a virgin install of the same Debian 9  onto the SATA hard drive (was using an M.2 drive.)  Even that dies on boot at the exact same place.

I'm stumped.  Ideas, please?

Maybe I should try the new Ubuntu (but I really don't want to.)

Thanks,
skypuppy

You would probably (definitely) get a better answer asking about this in a Linux/Debian forum.

Given how new the Ryzen platform is, how well is it supported by Debian 9?

All the Windows drivers for Ryzen are provided by AMD. If AMD provides any Linux drivers, they would be the place to find them.

Same thing for an Nvidia 1050 video card, the main driver comes from Nvidia.

You can't possibly be blaming the mother board for these problems, when they are clearly related to the lack of driver support for the 1050?

Whatever video driver you used for the Debian installation with the 6800 card clearly does not work with the 1050. The 6800 card is so old, it was sold with both PCIe and AGP interfaces. Shocked  It is over ten years old! You obviously need the latest Debian video driver, which hopefully supports the new 1000 series Nvidia GPUs.

I find it astonishing that you are surprised a driver for a 6800 video card would work with a 1050. Confused

The error messages you listed do not make sense if you simply changed the video card. Did you even clear the UEFI/BIOS after installing the 1050?

Your thread's title makes the X370 Taichi, and AMD Ryzen, look bad. AMD and ASRock both list Windows 10 as the only officially supported OS version for Ryzen systems.
skypuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:04pm
Actually, I don't CARE how it makes any vendor look, parsec.  I just want it to work and was hoping someone here knew the answer.  I put it all down to my ignorance, if one MUST point fingers.  Jeez.
And how do you suggest I "clear the UEFI;BIOS?  Push that button on the mb?  What will that accomplish?

Update: I turned on that 2 digit LED Dr. Debug and during boot, it shows memory errors.  "24" is what stays up the longest.  I tried to set the parameters to what the memory wants, 15-17-17-35 and 1.2 V, but the Taichi has a fifth parameter so I'm not sure if I'm setting them correctly.  Those settings I put in seem to get overridden upon each boot..  Any guidance there?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 8:44pm
try running the ram at safe/stock settings

eg set the bios to default just to test if theres a hiccup with timings
(also theres a few things to help the memory run stable if that fails)
next if its still playing up heres the tips to try and stablise them

at stock speed you can still set ram volts to 1.35v (its not technically needed at 2133 but will help if a problem) and after that you can set the soc volts to 1,0 v and fix it there
all bios only have a certain amount of parameters in the ryzens adjustables currently are the first 4
believe me no one ever has released bios that can set all the timings were talking over 20

at present the fifth is getting autoset depending on the first 4

thats about the only hgelp i can give as im simply not a linux user so i can only help with your questions on hardware im afraid
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
skypuppy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypuppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 5:57pm
Thanks, datonyb.  Following your advice, advice from the RAM manufacturer, and advice from Asrock, the memory is now running at 2666 and is stable!  Woohoo.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 7:34pm
glad to be of help
there should be sometime around mid May a quite major new bios release from amd themselves to all the board makers to seriously address issues with the ram and its speeds so maybe an idea to watch out for a newer bios then (it should note the words agesa1005 in its title)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic