ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

POST too long

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POST too long
    Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 10:47pm
[URL=][/URL]I have system setup and running with no issues other than the fact I had to manually do it. I'm not happy with the fact the bios although looks like it has a lot of features, it really doesn't have anything that works. The most frustrating thing for me is how long it takes for it to POST. I get the platform is new but this is pretty pathetic. I've used Asrock for the past 8 years and never had a problem but basically that was with Intel platform. There is no reason the bios can't check in seconds once configuration has been set. The Ultra fast boot is only option and just doesn't work.

Inside Windows 10 I've run pass mark for 24 hours without a hitch. System is now stable running ram at 2666 and CPU at 3700. (Ryzen 7 1700).

I know this seems petty but when I see Post taking this long I'm wondering what is going on. Is there a problem they aren't telling us? Does this happen on just the Astock board or is it the same with all AM4 boards. My other system boots up and in Windows in less than 10 seconds. I have tried many things to see if it was a component I was using but nothing changed the outcome. I've read those suggestions on here that were incorrect and inaccurate.

I am considering buying another board from the competing vendors to see if this issue happens on their boards. I'd prefer not to waste the money before asking if anyone has experience with another board that boots fast..

Thanks in advance

Edited by DANMc - 16 Apr 2017 at 10:48pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:51am
it seems at present most if not all brands of board with ryzen are slow to preform self tests
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:53am
for info. mine shows 23 seconds windows boot and about a 5 second delay posting
my board is the x370 taichi

it may help if we knew what board you have though

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
DANMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 7:58am
I have the X370 Fatality board. I didn't list it because it seems to be issue with all the Asrock boards from what I have read. I was hoping someone had knowledge if this is the same on all boards with AM4. The main concern is why does it take so long.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:57am
Not to make light of the matter of fast motherboard posting but I would be more concerned with if it's stable, fast and runs all my stuff without choking,...especially with a whole new platform. And we don't use our computers during post Big smile

With that in mind the usual know tweaks:
Disable anything in the UEFI you don't use (nothing made a difference on my board).
Disable CSM = if you have the option.
FAST Boot = if you have the option.
Use SSDs (single SSD best) only.
8G of ram,...
Minimum connected usb devices.
msconfig = no GUI boot.
In Startup & Recovery = uncheck Time to boot windows/set to zero.

There are more I'm sure,...but it's a start.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by DANMc DANMc wrote:

[URL=][/URL]I have system setup and running with no issues other than the fact I had to manually do it. I'm not happy with the fact the bios although looks like it has a lot of features, it really doesn't have anything that works. The most frustrating thing for me is how long it takes for it to POST. I get the platform is new but this is pretty pathetic. I've used Asrock for the past 8 years and never had a problem but basically that was with Intel platform. There is no reason the bios can't check in seconds once configuration has been set. The Ultra fast boot is only option and just doesn't work.

Inside Windows 10 I've run pass mark for 24 hours without a hitch. System is now stable running ram at 2666 and CPU at 3700. (Ryzen 7 1700).

I know this seems petty but when I see Post taking this long I'm wondering what is going on. Is there a problem they aren't telling us? Does this happen on just the Astock board or is it the same with all AM4 boards. My other system boots up and in Windows in less than 10 seconds. I have tried many things to see if it was a component I was using but nothing changed the outcome. I've read those suggestions on here that were incorrect and inaccurate.

I am considering buying another board from the competing vendors to see if this issue happens on their boards. I'd prefer not to waste the money before asking if anyone has experience with another board that boots fast..

Thanks in advance

The long POST/startup time is a Ryzen thing, no doubt about it.

To say there is no reason "the BIOS can't check in seconds" simply has no basis.

Try this for example, in the OC Tweaker screen, set the AMD Advanced Boot Training option to Disabled. It won't make your Ryzen system start up as fast as an Intel system will, but it will make a difference.

Also, I believe that the Windows 8.1 - 10 Fast Startup feature does not work with Ryzen. From a cold boot, or restart, the Last BIOS time, shown in the Startup tab of Task Manager is the same, ~19 seconds. Three times that of an Intel Z270 cold boot with the same SSD as the OS drive, 960 EVO, not that the SSD makes a difference. The Last BIOS time is not the same on a restart of my Intel systems, and MSoft states Fast Startup only works from a cold boot/shutdown state.

You can't use the Ultra Fast Boot option setting unless you have a UEFI booting Windows installation, with CSM disabled. You did not say if you do or not.

I assume you've never owned an Intel X99 system, the only one that is almost as slow as Ryzen.

If you consider a fast startup as a measure of performance, the reality is it isn't. The fastest starting PC I have is my DeskMini 110W with an Intel i3 dual core CPU, no OC, DDR4 at 2133. Super simple PC, fast startup. The more complex, the slower startup will be.

DANMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:37pm
I'll just repeat what I said in previous post but be more specific. The system is stable in Windows 10. I've tested the hell out of it and passed with no issues as long as you manually configure the bios memory settings along with setting cpu to offset. Memory still won't run at rated speed but it is what it is so I run at 2666.

As far as Ultra Fast Boot, it doesn't work in fact the system BIOS options will bring you right back to bios once you disable CSM. I've tried this and figured it was just another feature that didn't work.

People shouldn't assume anything. My 6800 boots a lot quicker than this thing and has more memory in it. I wouldn't compare these boards considering the features and configuration. I only bought these components for this system to play with it and see how it compared. The thing that impresses me the most is power usage of RYZEN platform which Intel can not compete with especially at this cost.

I also mentioned that I knew this platform is new but the components on the board aren't. It does not have quad channel memory support and really is a workstation on a budget with a lot of multithreading capability. I do believe there is an issue though that has to do with memory on this platform. I am not someone with bias and hope this just an immature bios that just isn't ready.

To be specific once again, my question was do all AM4 boards take this long to POST? Does ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI have boards on the market that have AM4 boards that POST quicker?

I can assure anyone I don't need suggestions regarding using SSD's or Operating system tweaks. I am simply curious regarding other boards on the market which leads me to believe that I should have probably went on other manufacturers board to ask the question.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 6:39pm
as i said in first reply answer yes
its a ryzen thing so all brands will be similar

Lisanderus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisanderus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:51am
On version 1.5, the loading went pretty long ... at 2.0 much faster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic