ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Build: Asrock AB350 pro4 - Freezing in Win10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Build: Asrock AB350 pro4 - Freezing in Win10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Build: Asrock AB350 pro4 - Freezing in Win10
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:36am

Hi Folks,

I just built my new computer last night with the following:

MOBO: Asrock AB350 pro4
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB - F4-3000C15D-16GVKB
CPU: AMD 1600

Aside from doing a clean install of windows 10 home, I've also updated the bios to 2.20.

Both before and after the Bios update this new build randomly locks up.  Like a frozen screen, no blue screen, no reboot, just stuck. I?�ve not witnessed this happen in a computer for years... The freeze seems to happen when I?�m downloading or transferring files more often than not. Additionally, my memory will only clock to 2133, and not the prescribed 3000 with either XMP settings or manual configuration.

I installed the memory in the 2nd and 4th slot counting away from the CPU.

I understand that the QVL list includes a similar memory module, though it?�s not exact.  I just read that D stands for 2 sticks and Q stands for 4.  So would that mean i cannot run at 3000Mhz without 4 sticks of this memory?

QVL Listed: F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
Used: F4-3000C15D-16GVKB

Without getting into the "new platform, issues, etc.." would anyone like to provide some advice as to how I should approach this situation.  

Edited by Pinscher - 21 Apr 2017 at 1:04am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:21am
well hers where it gets confusing yes your right the Q or D designate if the whole part number is a kit
the number directly after will say what the whole kit size is
so d-16 would be a kit of two 8gb sticks
and Q-16 would be a kit of four 4gb sticks
the confusing part seems a LOT of the qvl's list the part number with a Q as suitable ram but then say to use it in a pair
sometimes they list the software reported ram id code which makes it even harder to find out exactly what stick is was or how to find it for sale

to add to this
the best chance of faster ram speeds is just two sticks placed in slot a2 and b2
and that they then also are single sided arrangement eg chips one side only of the stick
and that they have samsung ic's
also note from memory you cant find any sticks over 8gb that are still single sided

Edited by datonyb - 21 Apr 2017 at 2:23am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:32am
Pinsche, assuming you are running a Ryzen 5 1600X, I suspect you have the FMA3 problem.  I have a Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming and it definitely has this problem.  AGESA 1.0.0.4 is supposed to correct this problem and ASRock has released BIOS 2.00 saying it contains AGESA 1.0.0.4 but it does not for my MB.  I suggest you look in your BIOS for the version of AGESA and post it here.  If you have AIDA64, look in the CPUID.  Your BIOS DL page says 2.00 has AGESA 1.0.0.4a - does it really?
Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I just DLed BIOS 2.10 (there is no 2.20) and opened it in a hex editor and it shows AGESA 1.0.0.3 which does not have the FMA3 fix.

Edited by MisterJ - 21 Apr 2017 at 2:39am
Pinscher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:48am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Pinsche, assuming you are running a Ryzen 5 1600X, I suspect you have the FMA3 problem.  I have a Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming and it definitely has this problem.  AGESA 1.0.0.4 is supposed to correct this problem and ASRock has released BIOS 2.00 saying it contains AGESA 1.0.0.4 but it does not for my MB.  I suggest you look in your BIOS for the version of AGESA and post it here.  If you have AIDA64, look in the CPUID.  Your BIOS DL page says 2.00 has AGESA 1.0.0.4a - does it really?
Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  I just DLed BIOS 2.10 (there is no 2.20) and opened it in a hex editor and it shows AGESA 1.0.0.3 which does not have the FMA3 fix. 

Thank you for the thoughtful response, MisterJ. 

As mentioned, i updated to 2.20 bios, though i'm not aware of what AGESA version it's using. I understand that the AGESA. The CPU i'm running is the 1600, non X, so i suppose this FMA3 issue is something that i should look into.  would you be able to elaborate?

Edited by Pinscher - 21 Apr 2017 at 2:55am
Pinscher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 2:52am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

well hers where it gets confusing yes your right the Q or D designate if the whole part number is a kit 
the confusing part seems a LOT of the qvl's list the part number with a Q as suitable ram but then say to use it in a pair 
sometimes they list the software reported ram id code which makes it even harder to find out exactly what stick is was or how to find it for sale

to add to this 
the best chance of faster ram speeds is just two sticks placed in slot a2 and b2
and that they then also are single sided arrangement eg chips one side only of the stick
also note from memory you cant find any sticks over 8gb that are still single sided

Thank you for your thoughtful response, Datonyb.

The memory i'm using is single rack, though i don't know if it's Samsung dies. Additionally, the QVL product numbers G skill don't seem to align with actual product numbers. 

would you recommend I return this memory and spend an additional $70 CAD to purchase the following kit?

http://www.ncix.com/detail/g-skill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-ad-138682.htm

This kit is not listed on the QVL, though community folks seem to believe it has Superior compatibility. 

Edited by Pinscher - 21 Apr 2017 at 2:58am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:01am
Pinscher, again, I would determine the version of the AGESA you are running.  It should be available in your BIOS and via AIDA64.  You can also open the ROM file with a hex editor and search for AGESA.  There are several, but only one will be followed with the version, thus:
=??pAGESA!V9.SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.3...............

I have always found the version in the last AGESA in the ROM file. 
Enjoy, John.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:23am
john i told you in the other thread
the latest bios is 1004

it is incorrectly labelled inside the file as 1003
gigabyte is also having the same issue

it would appear amd actually sent them the agesa files version 1004 but still with a digital 1003 signature

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Pinscher Pinscher wrote:

to add to this 

The memory i'm using is single rack, though i don't know if it's Samsung dies. Additionally, the QVL product numbers G skill don't seem to align with actual product numbers. 

would you recommend I return this memory and spend an additional $70 CAD to purchase the following kit?

This kit is not listed on the QVL, though community folks seem to believe it has Superior compatibility. 

i have read a lot about gskill kits and the success and lack of with ryzen
i know ripjaws are not the luckiest kit to use at the moment due to immature bios
i know ASIDE from qvl lists the tridentz do seem to fair better
i also would like to point out that there are many complaints from ryzen builders about the gskill rgb kits failing after a short time i myself have drawn the conclusion that I WOULDNT try to use an rgb kit  (also with a founding that i dont have a windowed case anyway so its a waste of money)
after my reseach before buying my parts i decided from what i have read to try the gskill 3200 c15d-16gtz kit
this has worked from day one in my taichi
but
i would have also bought the f4 3200c14d-16 gtz kit if it were not £50 more expensive ,but at the time of writing there is another forum member here who has that kit and cannot get it to work at anything but 2133...........it really makes no sense as it seems to be exactly the same parts on the sticks but with better binned ic's (eg more perfect) yet they wont work on the same board as mine

if you want some sort of garrentee the only option is to buy gskill flareX yet i know two ryzen users that cant get them to 3200 either
so to answer your question the only part i can stand by as a firm recommendation is to NOT buy the tridentz rgb you linked this is my opinion due to a higher chance of an issue than other choices

heres a link to actual owners with actual rams-motherboard combos saying what they made work
http://rymem.vraith.com/
you can search by your board to see what other peple fitted

Pinscher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:54am

Originally posted by Pinscher Pinscher wrote:

to add to this 

i have read a lot about gskill kits and the success and lack of with ryzen
i know ripjaws are not the luckiest kit to use at the moment due to immature bios
i know ASIDE from qvl lists the tridentz do seem to fair better
i also would like to point out that there are many complaints from ryzen builders about the gskill rgb kits failing after a short time i myself have drawn the conclusion that I WOULDNT try to use an rgb kit  (also with a founding that i dont have a windowed case anyway so its a waste of money)
after my reseach before buying my parts i decided from what i have read to try the gskill 3200 c15d-16gtz kit
this has worked from day one in my taichi
but
i would have also bought the f4 3200c14d-16 gtz kit if it were not £50 more expensive ,but at the time of writing there is another forum member here who has that kit and cannot get it to work at anything but 2133...........it really makes no sense as it seems to be exactly the same parts on the sticks but with better binned ic's (eg more perfect) yet they wont work on the same board as mine

if you want some sort of garrentee the only option is to buy gskill flareX yet i know two ryzen users that cant get them to 3200 either
so to answer your question the only part i can stand by as a firm recommendation is to NOT buy the tridentz rgb you linked this is my opinion due to a higher chance of an issue than other choices

heres a link to actual owners with actual rams-motherboard combos saying what they made work
http://rymem.vraith.com/
you can search by your board to see what other peple fitted

Sorry to do this to you, but i have to order from NCIX.com as i know they won't refund the memory i currently have. 

The ones you mention are only available in 32 gigs and i only desire 16.  Would you mind providing a suggestion for me if you deem the RGB ones (F4-3200C16D) not wise, even though i don't care about the RGB function.  

My intention is to have a system that boots, is stable, and will eventually clock memory to 3000 or more.

It seems this is sort of my price range <$240.

for 3200 and 16gb with G.skill i see these as options. 

F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
http://www.ncix.com/detail/g-skill-ripjaws-v-16gb-2x8gb-c4-116133.htm?promoid=1201

F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

Edited by Pinscher - 21 Apr 2017 at 4:06am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:52am
well ive sat here for 5 mins looking at your links, the rest of stock at ncix and the qvl for your board

im a bit stumped for the foillowing reasons
1) ncix has realy really bad stock Confused the rgb gskills are not even in stock (did i mention very poor choice of stock?)
and 2) the qvl for the 350 pro4 ....is very very limited

so ive spent another 5 mins seeing if 3000 mhz ram would help
once again ncix have the worse case of an empty shop ive ever seen !
i was even looking at the corsairs.nothing in stock matches the qvl

the chances of changing the ram you have at the moment and getting an improvement by even educated guess seems ......very slim

so what are the options ?
going forward its not any good news im afraid for immediate improvement

the tridentz rgb should and i mean most probably be samsung single sided but i cannot find positive proof tonight (its 1140pm here) at 3200 speed and 16 timing BUT two big but's
the pro4 has an extremely scarce support for 3200 ram on the qvl
the pro4 has very few decent speeds entries on rymem.wraith website (indicating that its not a very good baord at the moment to get any luck with speeds)
and ripjaws dont seem to have many models that do have the samsung b dies for sure

to sum up i really dont think i can suggest with any faith what very limited ram to try from the options
i know this is the internet and people can say what they want ,but im an old guy and know we all value our money so i really cant advise you to throw money or time even changing ram with such limited knowledge of which ones may improve your situation

i can say with quite a high conviction i think 3200 isnt an option from ncix for your board at the moment

so choice is as far as i can tell
stick with the ram you have (and hope the new bios release in may will address the am4/ryzen ram issues)
or option B send back the ram and buy the cheapest 2133 ram they have to replace it that is on the QVL and then wait until may and see what the new bios allows and buy the faster 3200+ ram then

i know this is probably not the answer you want ,but its what i see as the options tonight
i will have a look around tomorrow and see if anyone else has got other ram working on this board
if you want and send you the links

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic