ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cant install WIN10 on SSD MB FM2A75M-HD+

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmat666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant install WIN10 on SSD MB FM2A75M-HD+
    Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 11:29am
I recently bought a brand new Kingston UV400 SSD with 240GB. 
Bios recognizes the SSD. I run Win 10 PRO. The WIN 10 device manager recognizes the new SSD as second HDD. The WIN 10 disk management does not recognize the SSD.

I created now an USB installation media using the MS tool. When I am booting (with the SSD as the only hardrive) the media tool cant see the SSD either (diplays no drives).

I tried SATA ports 1, 2, 6 and 2 cables, tried as well IDE, RAID, AHCI settings and made sure the drive is enabled in the BIOS.

Is there a driver i can use to 'help' the installation media to see the SSD?

Thanks a lot in advance!

madmat
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:00am
Maybe you have to load the Kingston drivers during the Windows install? If it detects in Bios then you probably have to load the drivers.< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
madmat666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmat666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 7:17am
Update: tried diskpart via the USB installation medium, but diskpart does not list the SSD either.

ASROCK support confirmed the SSD should run without any driver installed.

any ideas?

madmat
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by madmat666 madmat666 wrote:

I recently bought a brand new Kingston UV400 SSD with 240GB. 
Bios recognizes the SSD. I run Win 10 PRO. The WIN 10 device manager recognizes the new SSD as second HDD. The WIN 10 disk management does not recognize the SSD.

I created now an USB installation media using the MS tool. When I am booting (with the SSD as the only hardrive) the media tool cant see the SSD either (diplays no drives).

I tried SATA ports 1, 2, 6 and 2 cables, tried as well IDE, RAID, AHCI settings and made sure the drive is enabled in the BIOS.

Is there a driver i can use to 'help' the installation media to see the SSD?

Thanks a lot in advance!

madmat

I assume you tried the new SSD in a PC with the FM2A75M-HD+ board, using your current Win 10 installation on another drive, correct?

What SATA mode did you use with your PC when you first tried the UV400? Or when you tried to install Windows 10?

You said the UV400 was seen in the UEFI/BIOS, was that in the Storage Configuration screen? Can you also see it in the Boot Order?

You should always use AHCI mode with any drive, and particularly with an SSD. RAID mode is fine too. Do not use IDE mode, I can't believe AMD still has that as an option.

In the UEFI/BIOS, Storage Configuration screen, there is an option called SATA IDE Combined Mode, enabled by default. Be sure is set it to Disabled. While this option seems to only affect the SATA 5 and 6 ports, there is no point in having it enabled.

The OS drive is best used with the SATA_1 port, which is the SATA port on the far left of the four SATA ports lined up in a row.

When you start Disk Management with a new drive, it should ask you to initialize it. If that did not happen, something is wrong. You don't see this SSD listed in Disk Management at all?

The only time I have ever seen that happen is with an SSD that was used in a RAID array on an Intel PC, and then moved to an AMD PC.

The UV400 is a new SSD that you purchased from where, a standard retailer? Was the box sealed, and seemed unopened?

There is no special driver needed for this SSD. It is a SATA SSD, which uses the SATA controller in the board's chipset. The SATA driver will be either the built in Microsoft driver, or the AMD SATA driver, if you installed it.

If you were using RAID mode during the Windows 10 installation, then you would probably need to install the AMD RAID driver. But I don't see a driver like that in any of the download pages for your board, so apparently AMD does not provide one. It might be part of the AMD All in One driver package, but again this would only matter if you were using RAID mode.

If you can still boot your old OS installation with the SSD connected, run a Command Prompt window, and run the diskpart command. Once diskpart starts, type in list disk. See if the UV400 is shown in the output list.

If it is shown, note the number shown for the UV400, and then type select disk x where x is the disk number shown for the UV400. Then type detail disk to be certain you selected the UV400.

Once you are sure you have selected the UV400, then type in clean. If you run clean on the wrong disk, it will delete everything on it with no chance of getting it back. When that is done, exit diskpart and the command prompt window, and run Disk Management again, which will hopefully now recognize the UV400 and ask you to initialize it.

If Disk Management or the Windows 10 installation still cannot see the SSD, and given all the things that you have tried yourself, then IMO it is defective and should be returned to the retailer.
madmat666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmat666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:53am
Hi guys,
Yes the SSD is visible in the boot setup. I tried multiple settings in the BIOS. The SSD was from a standar retailer and the box was sealed. I tried to install the SSD on an existing WIN 10 system on an Sata HDD that was installed using the IDE mode (as standard setting), so it does not boot in AHCI.

I planned to migrate my system and mirror it to the SSD, after i ran into troubles doing that i decided to install new using the installation medium created by the MS tool (in AHCI mode or course).

I now tried a fresh WIN install from DVD and see.....it all works fine and the WIN installation sees the SSD and everything is like it should be! Thats weird!!! But my problem is fixed now!

I still dont know why it happened!

regards

madmat

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic