ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 - NIC not recognized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 - NIC not recognized
    Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:56am
Hey guys.

So i just installed my new Ryzen system yesterday, and apart from some driver problems it went pretty smooth.

However today i've been having intermittent networking problems with the ethernet adapter getting disabled by Windows 10 with the error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".
I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers to no avail.
At first reenabling the adapter would bring back the connection, but now the adapter is completely gone, even from the device manager.
I then tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and the adapter still doesnt show up in device manager. There are no lights on when looking at the physical port when the computer is turned on, however when turned off the top light blinks orange in a repeating pattern. The light turns off immediatly after turning the PC on. Im pretty much at my witts end here!
I also cleared the CMOS with no effect.
Edit: also trying to install the drivers for the Intel NIC results in the installation wizard saying there are no Intel NICs installed in the system.

I have a gut feeling telling me this might be a dead board but do any of you guys have any insight or something else i can do to troubleshoot this?

Best regards

Edited by Waseh - 24 Apr 2017 at 3:01am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Waseh Waseh wrote:

Hey guys.

So i just installed my new Ryzen system yesterday, and apart from some driver problems it went pretty smooth.

However today i've been having intermittent networking problems with the ethernet adapter getting disabled by Windows 10 with the error: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

snip!

Edit: also trying to install the drivers for the Intel NIC results in the installation wizard saying there are no Intel NICs installed in the system.

Right from the get-go I'm gonna say you're downloading the incorrect drivers, and the below quote is why:
Originally posted by Waseh Waseh wrote:

The Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 you intone having in the Topic has an Intel NIC, and just an Intel NIC.

http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X370%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp

Please use the drivers and BIOSes from the above page ONLY.

Waseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:52am
Thanks for the reply.
The problem is that that's excatly the driver I downloaded. Then I tried one from Intels website with the same result before trying the ASRock provided one yet again.

Edit: oh wait I see I might have been unclear - when I wrote "drivers" plural that was just a mistake. It is the single driver file from ASRock (well zip)

Edited by Waseh - 24 Apr 2017 at 6:55am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 6:22pm
Ah, ok. Clear now.

Have you installed the AMD All In One also?
Waseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:30pm
Yea. Just tried again with the AMD all in one with no change.
It's the fact that the NIC worked out of the box when I first installed Windows 10 (with no drivers installed manually) that irks me the most. Now a fresh install of Windows doesn't even recognized that there's even a NIC present. Also I tried to use the UEFI internet bios update tool to see if that got a connection but that also errors out.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:04am
Hmmm .....

What PSU are you using? All 8-pins are connected at the ATX power socket?

Check that the dammnits on the back of the I/O plate aren't inside the NIC port.

You're ok doing a fresh 10 install? With the Ethernet disconnected, do a fresh OS install, then immediately after install the AMD all in one, then the NIC driver and post back please. I'm wondering if MS WU isn't sneaking in a NIC driver behind our backs.

Also, assuming the above works, do you know how to disable WU from updating hardware drivers?

Stop Windows Update from installing device drivers

Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Hardware tab >
Device Installation Settings > No, let me choose what to do > and then check Never install driver software from Windows Update > then click on Save Changes

grenrozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenrozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:15am
is it working from UEFI?
Waseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:03am
It is not working from UEFI

I think I'll try to take the motherboard out of the case and see if that makes a difference.

A Corsair RM650X. The 8 pin is connected, I checked and reseated everything.
Yea I think I'm on my 7th Windows 10 reinstall so I might as well try another one! I'll try it without the Ethernet connected.

Edited by Waseh - 25 Apr 2017 at 4:27am
Waseh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 5:03am
Alright so I just tried to boot into the UEFI as the NIC showed up briefly in Windows (i haven't reinstalled or done anything yet) and was able to use the internet flash tool to connect and show me an available update. I left the computer running to see if I would see the same behavior as I do in windows with the NIC crapping out after 5 minutes, and I see the exact same thing in UEFI. After about 5 minutes the NIC stopped working and wouldn't connect to the server. I also tried switching the Ethernet cable and trying a different port on my switch.

This rules out a driver problem right? I suppose the next step is to see if the case is creating some sort of short.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:02am
Very weird issue, I've never seen that happen with any NIC chips. I highly doubt it is a driver problem. My X370 Killer SLI/ac board uses the same Intel I211AT NIC chip, and it works fine with the ASRock supplied 21.1 version, or Intel's latest 22.1.

I imagine if you had a continuous short of some kind affecting that chip, it would not work at all, instead of after five minutes. As wardog said (I think...) check the IO panel cover for those tiny tabs that touch the surface of the various connectors on the IO panel. I don't use the IO panel cover at all, it's mainly for cosmetic purposes.

Checking for shorts is worth doing, but I would not dismiss the need to replace the board, sorry to say. Did you try using a different network cable?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic