ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

has my mobo died

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufusdufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: has my mobo died
    Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:23am
Hi all, I have strange problem. I have a 2 year old build, Z77 extreme 4, i7 3770K, Sapphire HD7850, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. (any other info on request). I was lying on my bed using my PC when I fell to sleep. I awoke around 2Hrs later to find my display was still turned on but no picture. I initially thought it had gone to sleep. Anyyway, I don't want to bore you with a lot of unnescasary info.
I'm getting no visuals from my PC, I have tried multiple HDMI leads. I have tried 2 monitors.
The dvd drive has power as does my card reader but the DR. Debug is not working, no numbers at all.
So I'm thinking my mobo has died. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find out for sure so I don't go buying a new one when it is not neederd.
Thanks, any advice appreciated.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:30pm
Welcome to the forums Smile

First of all, when this kind of thing happens its a good idea to run through some basic troubleshooting.

1. Disconnect everything from the motherboard
2. Check all connections, reseat RAM and remove video card
3. Try to power on the PC with 1 module of RAM in slot a1 or b1 using the onboard graphics with nothing else connected.
4. Clear CMOS
5. If possible try a different power supply

I hope one or all of these help

Good luck

rufusdufus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufusdufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:38pm
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had a good look late in to last night and when I turned it on with the case open and no background noise I could hear a faint hissing noise like arcing, then I noticed a liquid dripping off Dr. Debug. I have removed my liquid cooling set and this a.m. with every thing properly dried out I turned it on but still no Dr. Debug lighting up. I have to go out now but I fear it is frazzed.
When I return later I think I will have to try and find a cheap replacement just to tide me over until I can afford something better. Any suggestions .... around £50
I doubt anything can be done for my extreme 4 Z77. Def. use my stock i7 fan next time. no more liquid cooling for now at least.
Thanks again.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:18pm
Try a toothbrush and some isopropyl alcohol on the area that got wet, it may be that the board's saftey features have kicked in because the arching left conductive residue on the board. 

Sorry to hear about the liquid cooling leak. I am afraid I am not familiar with pricing there so I can't really offer any suggestions regarding a replacement.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufusdufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 8:55am
Hi mate, hope you're still reading this as I have an important question. I have now stripped my PC completely and on examination of my cpu there seems to be a discoloured area on both the cpu and the mobo cpu socket in the same place as if it may have been overheating in that area. This of course makes me concerned that the problem lies with the cpu and not the mobo. Is there any way to tell which is the problem eg if the cpu were at fault would I get some sort of response from the mobo when I turn it on. I ask this because the mobo seemed dead (Dr. Debug showing nothing not even lighting up) Thanks again.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:03pm
The motherboard has no CPU error code for a damaged CPU, it does however have a CPU absent code (00) so if you try to power on without the CPU installed it should show 00 on Dr. Debug.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 3:36pm
You've gone from coolant leaking to over heating and apparently burning of the board, which you might think would go hand in hand.

The problem with that theory is an Intel processor will shut itself off when it reaches a certain temperature, for modern processors like yours that is 100C - 105C. That means if no heat sink were used with a processor, it would turn off long before burning anything.

My point is I doubt your CPU and board was burned or discolored by overheating of the processor.

I think you need to realize the extent of the fluid leak from your CPU cooler. The only hint we get of it is, "... with every thing properly dried out...", besides the Dr Debug display boiling or shorting its connection from the liquid.

What type of liquid cooling were you using? An AIO like Corsair makes, or a custom loop?

Either way, the fluid in all liquid coolers contains more than just water. It usually contains a few percent of ethylene glycol or other similar substance to keep the water from stagnating. The fluid may also be colored for appearance.

Liquid leaking from the CPU water block could easily go into the socket and discolor both of them. You sure can't clean the contacts of a CPU socket, much less touch them. So the board is IMO dead or at best not worth attempting to use again.

There is no known way to test a CPU with something like a volt meter to see if it functions. The only way is to put it in a good working mother board and see if the board POSTs and the BIOS UI can be started.

If you can find a PC shop that will test the CPU for you, that is one way to check the CPU without buying a board. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rufusdufus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 7:47pm
I was just trying by process of elimination to find out if the cpu was the problem or the mobo, I just wanted to know if the cpu was defective and the mobo wasn't then would the mobo turn on but you've answered that question by saying that the Dr. Debug would read 00. I therefore assume by your answer that if the mobo was working then when I turned on power there would be some other indication other than the fans starting, that's all.
The LC system was/is a Zermana all in one, when I removed it the radiator was wet around the outside, the liquid I found around Dr. Debug was watery and a murky brown colour.
Anyway, I have cleaned the board as thoroughly as I dare with a toothbrush and Pharmacists Alcohol. I am now in the process of re assembling it partially to try it out, failing that I will buy the best mobo I can afford sometime later in August and if that fails I will then have the chip tested and if nessasary save for a new i5/i7.
Thanks for the help

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 8:27pm
Best of luck to you Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic