ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't access UEFI setup on Deskmini 110

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't access UEFI setup on Deskmini 110
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:47am
Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue. I have setup my Deskmini with a M.2 SSD and windows 10 and it works great. I have no problem accessing the UEFI setup with this configuration.

As soon as I add a SATA drive, I can no longer get to the UEFI setup.

When I try to reboot to UEFI with any method (asrock tool, F2 at boot or through the option in windows) and if I also have a SATA drive connected, the computer hangs at the boot screen with an error code A0. If instead I boot without trying to get to UEFI, the machine boots fine to windows and both drives (M.2 and SATA) are recognized and working.

If I disconnect the SATA drive, I can access UEFI again without any issues. To rule out my SATA drive, I tried with 2 other models of SATA drives and I have the same issue.

I have the latest BIOS (7.0) and I don't know what to try next. Has anybody seen something like this ?

Thanks!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by madworld madworld wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue. I have setup my Deskmini with a M.2 SSD and windows 10 and it works great. I have no problem accessing the UEFI setup with this configuration.

As soon as I add a SATA drive, I can no longer get to the UEFI setup.

When I try to reboot to UEFI with any method (asrock tool, F2 at boot or through the option in windows) and if I also have a SATA drive connected, the computer hangs at the boot screen with an error code A0. If instead I boot without trying to get to UEFI, the machine boots fine to windows and both drives (M.2 and SATA) are recognized and working.

If I disconnect the SATA drive, I can access UEFI again without any issues. To rule out my SATA drive, I tried with 2 other models of SATA drives and I have the same issue.

I have the latest BIOS (7.0) and I don't know what to try next. Has anybody seen something like this ?

Thanks!

That is strange, my DeskMini 110W with an Intel 600p as the OS drive, and SATA SSD for storage, does not have that issue. I don't think I've seen anyone else post about this situation in the forum before now.

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using?

Are you using the Fast Boot, Ultra Fast setting in the UEFI? You should be able to use the Restart to UEFI tool if you did, but that tool does not work for you now.

Have you always had this problem since you installed Windows 10 on that PC? Or did it start recently?

Is there any change to the PC, such as a Windows 10 update or UEFI update that you can think of that afterwards you began experiencing this?
madworld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:00pm
It is strange. It's a brand new Deskmini that I got a couple of days ago. It came with the latest BIOS (7.0). It doesn't matter if Fast Boot is enabled or not.

At first I had only my M.2 SSD hooked up and going in the UEFI worked fine. I added the SATA ssd. At some point I wanted to go check some settings in the UEFI and I couldn't anymore. Since the only thing that had changed was the added SATA drive, I removed it just to be sure and the UEFI worked again!

It's quite puzzling, I've never seen that kind of behavior before.

madworld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:48am
Just a quick update. After troubleshooting with ASRock tech support, they told me it's not normal and that I should return it and ask for a replacement. I got my replacement deskmini yesterday and everything works fine with this one.

It's quite a nice little machine. I like it more and more!

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the update. Glad it's working for you now, but sorry you had to get a replacement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic