ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

VDROOP with AB350 Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiX-P4cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VDROOP with AB350 Pro4
    Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 6:10am
Hello,

I would like to know if ASRock plan to implement any kind of LLC option in the bios of the AB350 Pro4?

Because for now I have significant VDROP when the CPU is in charge.

When i configure the bios @1.375V, i'm @1.35V in idle and only 1.262V in full charge with prime95.

I use the last version of HWiNFO64 to read the CPU voltage:

The other brands have less phases on they motherboard but seem have less VDROP...

Edited by SiX-P4cK - 26 Apr 2017 at 6:14am
AMD R7-1700 @3.85Ghz 1.33V + Noctua NH-D15S
ASRock AB350 Pro4
G.Skill Ripjaws V Kit 2x8GB @3066 16-18-18-39
AMD Radeon RX 480 MSI GAMING X 4Go
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 2280
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 1:29pm
I moved your Post to the proper area.

Originally posted by SiX-P4cK SiX-P4cK wrote:

I would like to know if ASRock plan to implement any kind of LLC option in the bios of the AB350 Pro4?

I don't know how long I'd hold my breath waiting for LLC adjustments on the B350 lineup. It is the Mainstream chipset, although it does accommodate some OC'ing controls. Nicely priced but not the full monty you get with the X370's.

Originally posted by SiX-P4cK SiX-P4cK wrote:

The other brands have less phases on they motherboard but seem have less VDROP...

Citation(s) requested please. Less phases and less VDROOP? Yea, I gotta call you out here for links stating/showing so.

It's my experiences that ASRocks VRM phases are well thought out on a per platform basis.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by SiX-P4cK in their Sig SiX-P4cK in their Sig wrote:

G.Skill Ripjaws V Kit 2x8GB @2400 12-13-13-32

Damn nice timings/latencies btw. Tight!

What G.Skill Kit is that?

asroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Citation(s) requested please. Less phases and less VDROOP? Yea, I gotta call you out here for links stating/showing so.

It's my experiences that ASRocks VRM phases are well thought out on a per platform basis.

Asrock has more phases (9 vs 6/7 in total, 6 vs 4 for the cpu) but it doesn't use a doubler to run those all those 6 cpu side vrm phases. So the Asrock is really only a 3 phase vrm and will have lower quality voltage regulation/vdroop by comparison. The vdroop for Asrock is close to 0.1v which is quite large.

Edited by asroc - 17 May 2017 at 2:49pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by asroc asroc wrote:

Asrock has more phases (9 vs 6/7 in total, 6 vs 4 for the cpu) but it doesn't use a doubler to run those all those 6 cpu side vrm phases. So the Asrock is really only a 3 phase vrm and will have lower quality voltage regulation/vdroop by comparison. The vdroop for Asrock is close to 0.1v which is quite large.

I agree there with ya. But you're not coming to well discussed before release terms with the B350 being AMDs Mainstream chipset.

You're seemingly trying to get Corvette performance and handling from a Cadillac. While still a great chipset the B350 doesn't do SLI/CF and lacks 4 USB that the X370 does.

Addressing "doublers' , there's the good, and the bad concerning them yet I won't get into that here. There are very very few AM4 boards with doublers(see below link) from any manufacturer, and then they are the Enthusiast X370 boards.

AM4 VRM Sections Outlined:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwareluxx.de%2Fcommunity%2Ff12%2Fam4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html&edit-text=&act=url

SiX-P4cK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SiX-P4cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:20pm

I don't know how long I'd hold my breath waiting for LLC adjustments on the B350 lineup. It is the Mainstream chipset, although it does accommodate some OC'ing controls. Nicely priced but not the full monty you get with the X370's.

Gigabyte and asus B350 have LLC.
And it have P-state overclocking who is much more advanced.
So i think it just copy past some code from another bios.

Damn nice timings/latencies btw. Tight!

What G.Skill Kit is that?

It's not that good if you compare to:

Yeah i learned it too late: 

Edited by SiX-P4cK - 17 May 2017 at 8:26pm
AMD R7-1700 @3.85Ghz 1.33V + Noctua NH-D15S
ASRock AB350 Pro4
G.Skill Ripjaws V Kit 2x8GB @3066 16-18-18-39
AMD Radeon RX 480 MSI GAMING X 4Go
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 2280
asroc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:42pm

I agree there with ya. But you're not coming to well discussed before release terms with the B350 being AMDs Mainstream chipset.

You're seemingly trying to get Corvette performance and handling from a Cadillac. While still a great chipset the B350 doesn't do SLI/CF and lacks 4 USB that the X370 does.

Addressing "doublers' , there's the good, and the bad concerning them yet I won't get into that here. There are very very few AM4 boards with doublers(see below link) from any manufacturer, and then they are the Enthusiast X370 boards.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwareluxx.de%2Fcommunity%2Ff12%2Fam4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html&edit-text=&act=url

?? The entire discussion was about VRMs not SLI/CF, or the lack of USB3.2.

Not having doublers means the vdroop can be as big as 0.1v on this model which is 3-4x what is typically seen on other comparable models/brands with 4 phases (vs 6 for Asrock).

But even I can live with that if p-state overclocking to ensure cool and quiet works and multipliers/voltages drop to proper idle levels.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:41pm

?? The entire discussion was about VRMs not SLI/CF, or the lack of USB3.2.

Not having doublers means the vdroop can be as big as 0.1v on this model which is 3-4x what is typically seen on other comparable models/brands with 4 phases (vs 6 for Asrock).

But even I can live with that if p-state overclocking to ensure cool and quiet works and multipliers/voltages drop to proper idle levels.

And that lack of SLI/CF and USBs is exactly my point. The B350 is a lesser priced board/chipset that cannot be stood up against a more expensive board. Beit another brands B350 with different VRM layout or maybe a lower priced X370..

Look at the link above. There are no doublers used on any of the B350 boards. And only a few X370s.  Asrock uses a 3+2 layout while others use 4.

Doublers, The Good and Bad:
http://www.sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-articles/82-vrm-guide

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic