ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 boot up with no fan running
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 boot up with no fan running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 boot up with no fan running
    Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Ssitha Ssitha wrote:

Did you ever get a fix for this?
My machine is doing the exact same thing.

You'll need to describe your machine to us, before we can offer any assistance.

That would be your CPU, mother board (assuming the same model?), memory (full model number), video card if using one, and PSU model.

We don't ask you for this just to torture you, but sometimes the problem is hardware incompatibility.

Do you have both the 24 pin and 4/8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board?

Is the board new, unused? Did you check the CPU socket for any bent pins?

So the PC starts, fans spin, but then the PC shuts off for a while, and then starts again? Or something else happens?

Has the PC ever worked to the extent that you could install Windows?

Ssitha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ssitha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 7:59am
Did you ever get a fix for this?
My machine is doing the exact same thing.
lightbringer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:26pm
It turns out that the fans are not connected to the correct CPU fan socket, so I fixed that. The fan is now running, but other than that, the same symptom occurs.

Also does the motherboard supports i7-7700k out of the box?

Edited by lightbringer - 30 Apr 2017 at 2:41pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by lightbringer lightbringer wrote:

so I bought a new Asrock Z270 Extreme 4, installed the CPU, 1 RAM and an after market heatsink. But when I turn it on, the motherboard runs for a few seconds, then turn itself off for 3 seconds, and back on again. Fans are not running, blue LED in the motherboard blinking.

Motherboard, heatsink, CPU and RAM are brand new, heatsink fans are connected to connector slots number 2 and 8 in the manual.

RAM is installed in DDR4_A2 slot in the manual.

I don't know what should I do to troubleshoot the issue. Is there anyone who ran into a similar problem can help me out. Thank you.

My part list details: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yTZKRG

The blue LEDs are just the RGB LED lighting that is just for looks, doesn't serve any other purpose.

The CPU cooler fans not running is strange, they should be running even if POST was failing, but you aren't getting that far. The fans should start immediately. You didn't say the PSU is new, but is a good one. Hard to imagine it is bad but if the fans don't run that might indicate a problem with 12V power. Check the connection of the 24 pin power cable at the board and PSU.

It seems you have at two DIMM kit of 8GB memory, right? You said you were using only one DIMM in the A2 slot, try the other DIMM in the B2 slot and remove the one in the A2 slot. Clear the UEFI/BIOS with the CLR CMOS jumper on the board and try to start it again.

You could also try just using the Intel iGPU at first, removing the video card. Do that and the memory in the other slot and then clear the UEFI/BIOS.

If the CPU cooler fans refuse to run, you may have a bad board but don't jump on that as the issue immediately. The fans are four pin PWM fans, right? Three pin fans would run at full speed on the CPU_FAN header all the time, but would run or should run. If you have faith in the PSU and nothing else is questionable, then it could be the board. Be sure nothing is shorting out the bottom of the board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 9:14am
Hi,

1. The 8 pins are connected
2. I haven't put the motherboard into the case yet, still sitting on top of the anti-static bag
3. I only connected the power button to turn it on from the case

Edited by lightbringer - 30 Apr 2017 at 9:14am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:55pm
1. Check you didn't fail to connect the 8-Pin ATX12V1 in the upper left of the MB.

2. Pull the assembly from the case and see that it works on a plain cardboard box.

3. Double check the wiring at the System Panel Header to your case are correct.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:05pm
so I bought a new Asrock Z270 Extreme 4, installed the CPU, 1 RAM and an after market heatsink. But when I turn it on, the motherboard runs for a few seconds, then turn itself off for 3 seconds, and back on again. Fans are not running, blue LED in the motherboard blinking.

Motherboard, heatsink, CPU and RAM are brand new, heatsink fans are connected to connector slots number 2 and 8 in the manual.

RAM is installed in DDR4_A2 slot in the manual.

I don't know what should I do to troubleshoot the issue. Is there anyone who ran into a similar problem can help me out. Thank you.

My part list details: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yTZKRG

Update:
It turns out that the fans are not connected to the correct CPU fan socket, so I fixed that. The fan is now running, but other than that, the same symptom occurs.

Edited by lightbringer - 30 Apr 2017 at 1:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic