ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB acting oddly in X370 Killer SLI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcosmcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB acting oddly in X370 Killer SLI
    Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:21am
Hello!

*Almost* every time I start my computer, when it gets to the Windows 10 login screen, all my peripherals stop working for about 5 seconds (mouse and keyboard lights turn off). No problems at all after that.

I say almost because maybe one in ten initializations, all the peripherals work just fine. When that happens, I also notice Windows loads much faster (the circle pratically doesn't show). This scenario is more common when I'm initializing the computer from a turned-off state.

A problem with the peripherals is already out of the equation. The latest AMD chipset drivers are installed, too. BIOS update didn't help. I'd like to know what are these BIOS options before playing with them, if possible:

PT XHCI GEN1
PT XHCI GEN2
PT USB31 PORT0
PT USB31 PORT1
PT USB Equalization4
PT USB Redriver

Thanks in advance for helping.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:19am
Depending on the type and number of USB peripherals, remember the BIOS and the OS must first initialize each one.

Throw a USB hub or two, some USB sticks and drives, and an SD/MMC card reader and initialization can take time.

marcosmcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcosmcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:42am
Sure, but I'm 100% sure this isn't normal... Never had this problem using my previous PC with the same peripherals, and 5 seconds after the login screen shows up is a huge amount of time...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:01am
That and Ryzen isn't the fastest booting box I've had either.

Contact ASRock Support
http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

They'll need to know all the USB devices connected, and BIOS rev the MB is flashed to. Probably more too.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by marcosmcc marcosmcc wrote:

Hello!

*Almost* every time I start my computer, when it gets to the Windows 10 login screen, all my peripherals stop working for about 5 seconds (mouse and keyboard lights turn off). No problems at all after that.

I say almost because maybe one in ten initializations, all the peripherals work just fine. When that happens, I also notice Windows loads much faster (the circle pratically doesn't show). This scenario is more common when I'm initializing the computer from a turned-off state.

A problem with the peripherals is already out of the equation. The latest AMD chipset drivers are installed, too. BIOS update didn't help. I'd like to know what are these BIOS options before playing with them, if possible:

PT XHCI GEN1
PT XHCI GEN2
PT USB31 PORT0
PT USB31 PORT1
PT USB Equalization4
PT USB Redriver

Thanks in advance for helping.

This is a tough one, nothing obvious I can think of. I have really an identical board, the X370 Killer SLI/ac model with Windows 10, and I have never had that happen.

The faster Windows booting is caused by the Windows 10 Fast Startup feature, which is only active from a cold boot/shutdown startup situation.

You said all your peripherals stop working for five seconds, but then only mention the mouse and keyboard. Are there other peripherals on USB ports? If there are others, did you try disconnecting them one at a time to see if that makes a difference?

Did you try another mouse and keyboard to check for the same behavior?

Are you using the standard Window 10 USB driver, or did you install something else?

Does your mouse and keyboard (what model(s)?) have its own driver? If so, did you install that driver yourself? Any updated version of that driver available? What about drivers for the other peripherals, if any?

Do you have the ASRock AppCharger utility installed?

Sorry, but I'm not sure what those Promontory Common USB Options are all about. I have not changed any of them from their Auto settings.

In general, XHCI refers to USB 3.x, and is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, etc. The USB organization has renamed the original USB 3.0 interface of 5Gb/s to USB 3.1 Gen 1. The latest USB spec of 10Gb/s is called USB 3.1 Gen 2.

The USB interface of a mouse and keyboard are normally USB 2.0, which means they do not connect to the extra connections of USB 3.1.
marcosmcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcosmcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 7:23pm
I have connected to the USB: mouse, keyboard, Wi-Fi and an Xbox wireless adapter.

Mouse and keyboard were connected to the USBs next to the Ethernet port, so I tried moving them to other ports and removing the other peripherals. The problem stopped.

I added the rest of the peripherals to the other ports (not those to the site of Ethernet) and still didn't have a problem.

I plugged the Xbox adapter to the side of the Ethernet, still working fine.

I then tried moving the mouse and keyboard back to those ports, the problem came back.

I am really confused... aren't those ports the same (3.1 Gen1)  as the others?

EDIT: OK, the way I did the testing before masked what now makes at least a bit of sense to me. The problem happens when I use the USB port next to the Type-C one. I thought this one was no different from the others, but I guess it is. Any ideas? (besides not using it =P)

The driver being used is Microsoft's (03/31/2017).

Edited by marcosmcc - 04 May 2017 at 7:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic