ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

970 extreme 4 memory problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 970 extreme 4 memory problem
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:18pm
HI im totally new to this forum i had to reach out here because the asrock customer support weren't replying back to me. < ="application/x-dap-" id="DAPPlugin" style="visibility: collapse">
so the problem is like this i have a 970 extreme 4 motherboard and 4 chips of hyper x fury 8gb 1866mhz.
at first i had 2 chips installed and system was working great with no problems whatsoever. even the cpuz id showed 1866 mhz.
then i purchased 2 more to make it to 32 gb. i installed them and they worked flawlessly for about a week.
one day i decided to shutdown my pc and when restarted it later it wouldnt start and gave an error "4f".
i tried everything and it wouldnt budge so i removed the new memory sticks since that was the last modification to the system and it started working again. 
at first i thought that the chips were the problem but then i replaced the old ones with the new ones and they worked aswell even under load. even under other sockets they work fine
now whenever i try to install another chip the bios crashes instantly or would load partially but keep throwing errors. i manually set the memory to 1866 and tried again and still the errors.
also now im rocking only the first 2 chips with the stock auto settings but now the cpuz id is showing only 931.3 instead of where it used to show 1866
hope someone here help me figure out a solution to this
Nightbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:43am
[URL=][/URL]Hi,
Did you try to do a "CLEAR CMOS" to see if that helps ?
What's your bios version ?

Edited by Nightbird - 08 May 2017 at 6:50am
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:32am
Also, try of course the 'Load Bios Defaults' and see if you boot w/o errors and then once in Windows, see if you still get errors.

If not, then boot into Bios and take small steps with your DDR4. Start from the 2133 speed, then try the 2400 speed with manually inputting timings(unless you are one of the blessed with DDR4 XMP timing profiles recognized by the UEFI Bios). Reboot, launch Windows... repeat as necessary.

You didn't mention if you updated the UEFI/Bios when shutting down your system that day, however are you at v1.9x or at v2.x UEFI/Bios? Just curious.

Nightbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 6:53am
Hi,
This is a 970 Extreme 4 mobo => AM3+ => DDR3 (Hyper X Fury 8gb 1866mhz) and not DDR4.

Edited by Nightbird - 08 May 2017 at 6:55am
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:00am
Ka-boom, got it. You tried each 2 sticks in your motherboard and they work w/o issue? You also checked the s/n numbers on the sticks and made sure they were in sequential order when putting them in the A/B channels?

Because they were not a 4 stick kit, they will have different serial number sequences that most systems are particular with. I'd check that out, it could be the problem. Find the 2 sticks that are in sequential order then find the other two. Place the 2 sticks with the lowest sequence in the Channel/Slot specified by your board, followed by the last 2.

Best success.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Kevin A Kevin A wrote:

Find the 2 sticks that are in sequential order then find the other two. Place the 2 sticks with the lowest sequence in the Channel/Slot specified by your board, followed by the last 2.

Thumbs Up

That's your bets and ONLY shot at making disparate kits work.

All bet's are off if the manuf changed IC's between the two Kits.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by adnan adnan wrote:

HI im totally new to this forum i had to reach out here because the asrock customer support weren't replying back to me. < ="application/x-dap-" id="DAPPlugin" style="visibility: collapse">
so the problem is like this i have a 970 extreme 4 motherboard and 4 chips of hyper x fury 8gb 1866mhz.
at first i had 2 chips installed and system was working great with no problems whatsoever. even the cpuz id showed 1866 mhz.
then i purchased 2 more to make it to 32 gb. i installed them and they worked flawlessly for about a week.
one day i decided to shutdown my pc and when restarted it later it wouldnt start and gave an error "4f".
i tried everything and it wouldnt budge so i removed the new memory sticks since that was the last modification to the system and it started working again. 
at first i thought that the chips were the problem but then i replaced the old ones with the new ones and they worked aswell even under load. even under other sockets they work fine
now whenever i try to install another chip the bios crashes instantly or would load partially but keep throwing errors. i manually set the memory to 1866 and tried again and still the errors.
also now im rocking only the first 2 chips with the stock auto settings but now the cpuz id is showing only 931.3 instead of where it used to show 1866
hope someone here help me figure out a solution to this

To review, you added the two new DIMMs to your board, and they worked fine, and you had 32GB of memory recognized, right?

Then the problem occurred after a week.  4F is a memory related error. You removed the new memory, and the PC worked fine with just the old memory.

Then you tried just the new memory in two memory slots, and the PC worked fine.

Next you said you tried the new memory in the other memory slots (you wrote sockets) and it worked fine.

The only thing you did not mention was if you tried the old memory in the other memory slots.

Overall, it seems you know both the old and new memory works by itself. You also seem to know that all four memory slots work fine.

Unless you cleared the BIOS somewhere during your troubleshooting, and did not reset the required DRAM voltage or did not set the memory timings correctly, etc, your testing seems to show that it is not the memory that is bad, and the memory slots are not bad. Do you agree?

If that is true, that leaves you with a problem with the memory controller (part of the CPU), or the board cannot supply power to all four memory slots at the same time. That could also be caused by a PSU problem.

CPU-Z in the Memory tab only shows the DRAM frequency, which is one half of the actual memory speed. DDR means Dual Data Rate, so whatever the DRAM frequency is, the real memory speed is twice that. Note that 931 x 2 = 1862, which is off slightly from 1866 due to the BCLK not being exactly 100.0MHz. Your memory is running at 1866. You are confusing some other display of the memory speed with what is shown in CPU-Z.

adnan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 4:30pm
thanks for the quick replies guys yes i did use the old sticks in the other slots and they worked fine i think the memory sticks might be of a different series i here is a pic of all 4 sticks
http://imgur.com/ykbb0Eu
http://i.imgur.com/ykbb0Eu.jpg

but thing is they were all working together at one point
i did reset cmos 
i did load default settings when i installed only 3 sticks the bios worked for a minute then crashed 
psu cant be a problem since its fairly new and is an evga 1300w

Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 12:12am
The images help a bit to explain the Serial Number sequencing. It appears the 3rd line down on the left side of your sticks are the S/N's. They appear to be P000496 on the first stick and P000497 on the second stick. What are the S/N's on memory stick 3 & 4? Those sticks should have a different sequence altogether.

Also, I understand when you stated they worked together before. It could just be they currently are out of sequence in Channel A Slot1/Slot2 & Channel B Slot1/Slot2.

On your board(970 Extreme 4) it appears you need to place S/N# P000496 in Channel A/Slot 1, and S/N# P000497 in Channel B/Slot 1(note, your sticks 3 & 4 may be required in these slots instead, then use Channel A/Slot 2 & Channel B/Slot 2 for the P000496 & P000497 sticks).

If you are certain the sticks are cleaned, slots are cleaned, placed in S/N sequence and sticks are well seated then it is a different issue.

Such as:

A bad DDR3 stick(s)...(you will have to RMA both Sticks of the kit).

-or-

Bad DIMM slot(s)

-or-

Memory/Phase/Vrm Motherboard failure(s)

-or-

mmmm, possibly the integrated Memory controller in your CPU. However you'd most likely would be getting errors across the sticks or inability to recognize any sticks or speeds or more 'global' memory issues upon boot or upon entering Windows. But still possible, it would just be a very 'finicky' integrated Memory controller. Which btw would mean a new CPU...

Edited by Kevin A - 09 May 2017 at 3:49am
adnan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:42am
cool i will try it out and update you guys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic