ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Taichi, can't control fan speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi, can't control fan speed
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:32pm
Booted my new system today and got Windows installed. Fans were running at 100% so after installing drivers I booted back inte UEFI to set the fan curves. But the fan speeds aren't affected by the settings. I even tried setting the speed steps manually but to no avail.

I have one cpu fan (Wraith Spire) and three 3-pin 140mm chassi fans connected to the motherboard. One each on header 1-3.
Should the fan speed change while adjusting the custom setting or only after reboot?

Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:33pm
Forgot to mention that I also tried the above with the A tuning app but the results were the same there.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Wachtel Wachtel wrote:

Booted my new system today and got Windows installed. Fans were running at 100% so after installing drivers I booted back inte UEFI to set the fan curves. But the fan speeds aren't affected by the settings. I even tried setting the speed steps manually but to no avail.

I have one cpu fan (Wraith Spire) and three 3-pin 140mm chassi fans connected to the motherboard. One each on header 1-3.
Should the fan speed change while adjusting the custom setting or only after reboot?

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using? That should really not make a difference in my experience.

All of the fan speed settings are applied only after a restart except for one setting. That is is PWM or DC setting for the Chassis fan connector(s) depending upon how many have that setting.

The Wraith Spire is connected to the CPU_FAN1 connector? It's fan is a four pin PWM, or three pin?

From your board's specs:  CPU_FAN1, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.

Also, please check this list of AM4 Tech Tips provided by ASRock. The second to the last one shows how three and four pin fans will work on various AM4 boards, including the X370 Taichi:

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/AM4TSD/

It seems you tried the Fan-Tastic Tuning feature in the HW Monitoring screen to create a fan speed profile/curve? Did you click Apply/Save for each profile? You should be prompted to do that.

Did you try running the FAN Test in A-Tuning on all the fans? If the fan's speed changes throughout the test, the fan should be controlled by a fan speed profile.

What is the model of the three pin 140mm fans?

I've had no problems setting Custom fan profiles with my X370 Killer SLI/ac board, and I'm using three pin fans on the CHA_FAN2 and CHA_FAN3 connectors. I did need to set the CHA_FAN3 connector to DC mode.
Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 1:07am
I flashed to version 2.2 before trying to set fan speeds.

The cpu cooler has a 4-pin fan. The board should autodetect fan type. I clicked Apply after each fan setting, but after a restart the HW monitoring settings doesn't show it. But if I choose the Custom option the settings are still there. I tried the Fan test for all fans also.

The 3-pin fans are Fractal Venturi HF-14, they worked very well in my previous build.

Edited by Wachtel - 08 May 2017 at 1:09am
Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:17pm
I tried various vaiations of the recommendations i've found but to no avail. Will try with 4-pin fans later, if I can't find a solution.
Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 5:31am
Gave it another try and have now found the cause of the issue. It was just one fan header that couldn't be controlled . The others reacted but since I couldn't see them directly in my case I mistook it for a general problem.

Fan header Case_fan3 is the culprit. I moved that fan to the Cpu_opt header (set to DC mode) and all is well. Disappointed in the board since there is an unusable fan header.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Wachtel Wachtel wrote:

Gave it another try and have now found the cause of the issue. It was just one fan header that couldn't be controlled . The others reacted but since I couldn't see them directly in my case I mistook it for a general problem.

Fan header Case_fan3 is the culprit. I moved that fan to the Cpu_opt header (set to DC mode) and all is well. Disappointed in the board since there is an unusable fan header.

Doesn't the CHA_FAN3 options in the UEFI also have a PWM or DC setting option? According to this, it does:

I don't have the X370 Taichi, so I can't check this myself. But my X370 Killer SLI/ac board has the same DC and PWM configuration setting options for the CHA_FAN3 header. The default setting is PWM, so a three pin fan will run at full speed. Changing that option to DC in the UEFI has an instant response, no need to Save and Exit to get it applied, but Save and Exit regardless.

What UEFI/BIOS version are you using? If your X370 Taichi board really does not have the DC or PWM options for the CHA_FAN3 header, I'd like to know that.

Also, about your Wraith Spire CPU cooler, I found a screen in my board's UEFI that may be specifically for its configuration. My 1700X CPU does not come with a Wraith CPU cooler, so I can't test it myself.

That screen is, starting from Advanced, AMD CBS- > NBIO Common Options -> Fan Control. Once in the Fan Control screen, set the Fan Control option to Manual, and the rest of the options will appear.

Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 3:31pm
The CHA_FAN3 header do have these options in the UEFI. But changing the mode to DC and manually configuring a fan curve has no effect. Tried this severeal times and even tried reseating the fan to the header.

When I made the same changes with the fan connected to the CPU_OPT header I got the correct response at once.

I have the 2.2 version, flashed the board to this version before trying anything else.

The Wraith Spire works well with standard settings.
Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:13pm
Started the PC again yeasterday only to find that the rear fan was running at full speed again. Checked my changes in the UEFI and they were the same. Now the CPU_OPT header displays the same sypmtoms as the CHA_FAN3 header, no response what so ever.
Tried another 3-pin fan and a 4-pin fan and nothing. Starting to get a bit fed up with this board.

On top of it all I still haven't managed to get the in-built WiFi to connect to my router ...

Wachtel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wachtel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:30am
Postive update!

Got an answer from Taichi, the CHA_FAN3 header can't be used with a 3-pin fan. It's just for waterpumps and 3-pin headers for such. Routed the rear fan cable to the front header. Connected both front fans to a splitter on the bottom header.

Flashed BIOS to 2.30 and did a reinstall of Windows 10 and Wifi works without a hitch. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic