ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Extreme4+ BIOS update | Temperature readings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4+ BIOS update | Temperature readings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
none View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote none Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4+ BIOS update | Temperature readings
    Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm
UPDATE:

Contacted ASRock about the BIOS issue and they offered right away to send a BIOS chip with version 7.20.

After installation, error code 62 still showed up, but the PC would POST if the reset button on the motherboard was pressed (though not the one from the case), which allowed me to tweak some things in the BIOS that made it possible to boot normally. For instance, the XMP profile had to be turned off.

Anyway, thanks to Coccosoids, Parsec and ASRock.

Edited by none - 05 Jul 2017 at 9:24pm
none View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote none Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 1:13am
@parsec:

I had the one I tried to update to, 7.00, but after restarting - without changing anything in the BIOS - there was code 62 again.

No other USB devices connected. Keyboard is PS/2.

I tried with another USB device, and then in another port. Also one memory stick, and then in another slot. I did a clear CMOS before and after - in the latter case even removing the battery and cables - but it's still the same.

Yes, besides the temperatures issue.

The temperatures are 0-2ºC below ambient (19-20ºC) at idle. When running OCCT's default test or prime95's Small FFTs test, the temperatures of the cores rise normally to ~50-58ºC.

EDIT: Has anyone actually been able to update the BIOS to versions 7.00 or 7.20?

Edited by none - 27 Jun 2017 at 12:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by none none wrote:

@coccosoids: I'll try placing it in other slots, but it should work the way it is anyway.

@parsec: I recently updated with default settings and though 98% was the last shown value, the successful update window - press enter to restart - showed up this time, but upon restart there was error code 62 again.

The cooler is a Thermalright Archon.

Yes, power saving options are active, but I just disabled them and it's the same. Temperatures are checked with AIDA64, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, RealTemp, Coreinfo, OCCT, ASRock Tuning Utility, etc.

All most recent drivers are installed.

So you get the 62 POST code, chipset initialization error. After you perform the CMOS clear, you have which UEFI version, the one you tried to update to, or the one you started with?

Do you have any other USB devices connected to the board, besides the keyboard and mouse?

Ever try a different USB flash drive?

The only problem you have with the PC is when you do a UEFI update?

How far below ambient are the CPU/core temperature readings? What are the readings like? We have no examples to examine. Not that we could do likely do anything about it to be honest. Most monitoring programs have at least one or two readings from the sensor chip that are from unused inputs, and are simply random data. Readings that don't change or are obviously impossible are just unused sensor outputs.

The processor temperature sensors, which are on the CPU and simply read by the board's sensor chip, are the least accurate at lower temperatures according to Intel. The only "fix" for that, if it is actually a problem, would only be in a UEFI/BIOS update, assuming that is the source of the problem.
none View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote none Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 5:48am
@coccosoids: I'll try placing it in other slots, but it should work the way it is anyway.

@parsec: I recently updated with default settings and though 98% was the last shown value, the successful update window - press enter to restart - showed up this time, but upon restart there was error code 62 again.

The cooler is a Thermalright Archon.

Yes, power saving options are active, but I just disabled them and it's the same. Temperatures are checked with AIDA64, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, RealTemp, Coreinfo, OCCT, ASRock Tuning Utility, etc.

All most recent drivers are installed.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 10:23pm
If you are running Instant Flash, or any UEFI/BIOS update method, don't have any over clock of the CPU and memory active.

Also, Internet Flash should be used with a USB flash drive in one of the USB ports on the IO panel, as if you were running Instant Flash from a USB flash drive. The UEFI/BIOS image will be saved to the USB flash drive, and used to recover the UEFI update if necessary.

I've never had the UEFI update problems on my ASRock Z170 board, but I only use Instant Flash.

I've seen sub-ambient core temperatures sometimes, but it depends upon the CPU cooler being used. What CPU cooler are you using?

Are you using the CPU power saving options like SpeedStep and C States? What are you using to monitor CPU/core temperatures?

Did you install the INF driver ver:10.1.1.38 for your board?

Did you install in Intel Management Engine software for your board? The Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.6.0.1126?
coccosoids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coccosoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Try to remove your DIMMs and just use one DIMM in different slots and try to boot.
none View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote none Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 11:05pm
No one?
none View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote none Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:44am
Hi. I have a 6600K + iGPU + 16GB + good PSU.

Issue regarding the BIOS:

• I tried updating the BIOS from version 2.80 to 7.20 and 7.00, mostly with instant flash, but the update usually crashes at 98%, with the PC restarting, as mentioned here.
  • In any case, error code 62 shows up and there's no POST, except once with BIOS 7.00, where, after removing all power sources and doing a clear CMOS, I was able to enter the BIOS, only to have it failling again after a restart.

Issue regarding temperature readings:

• Core temperatures in Windows are lower than ambient at idle and have somewhat irrealistic low values under stress (bench softwares). In BIOS, temperatures seem to be more accurate, but I am familiar they should be higher than in Windows at idle anyway.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Replace < by ? in the links provided, since the [url...] BBcode is not working correctly...

Edited by none - 27 Jun 2017 at 12:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic