ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock AB350M Pro4 RAM problems. Could use advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350M Pro4 RAM problems. Could use advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 7:40am
I've got to ask you guys if you have tried any CPU overclocking and how successful you have been as far as stability with your overclocks. 

I have the Ryzen 1600 (non x).  I cant get 3950 or even 3900 stable even at 1.39 volts. I should rephrase...i can boot into windows with those settings and run some stability tests, but invariably one of my stability tests will eventually fail.

I got off 3 successful cinebench runs but the 4th gave an error message midway through. No problems with any AiDA64 extreme benchmarks or handbrake rendering of a 350mb video. Prime95 can go for a couple hours but eventually fails.

I'm kind of bummed because all my temperatures were fine. Under 65 celsius. I think they peaked around 62.

Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:10am
Originally posted by murander murander wrote:

I've got to ask you guys if you have tried any CPU overclocking and how successful you have been as far as stability with your overclocks.?
?
I have the Ryzen 1600 (non x).??I cant get 3950 or even 3900 stable even at 1.39 volts. I should rephrase...i can boot into windows with those settings and run some stability tests, but invariably one of my stability tests will eventually fail.

I got off 3 successful cinebench runs but the 4th gave an error message midway through. No problems with any AiDA64 extreme benchmarks or handbrake rendering of a 350mb video. Prime95 can go for a couple hours but eventually fails.

I'm kind of bummed because all my temperatures were fine. Under 65 celsius. I think they peaked around 62.

Great job just to get to 3.9. If you can, adjust the core offset option to 0625 or 1250. Id also try CPU load line calibration to 4, possibly 3(if not set there already) to handle voltage drop. Also, 1.4v may be necessary for your CPU - perhaps even higher.

I can get my 1800x to just over 4.1 stable but I don't want the high temps so I run at 3.95 and rarely see above 58c with a Noctua Air cooler. I'm not a 'big time' OC'-er as it is, so 3.95 is more than ok for my usage.

In the video's mentioned earlier in the thread these things are covered well. Hope they help your efforts to reach your goal, because your temps are great.
murander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:47am
@Kevin A
I'm surprised my temps are so good. I'm just using a stock cooler, but I did meticulously replace the stock thermal paste with some cooler master thermal paste I had.  I also took time to cover the entire CPU except for a small portion of the diameter.  I rubbed it in the best I could because I know its important to prevent air gaps.

Anyway, you don't have the ASRock AB350M Pro 4 motherboard, do you?  I should have done more research =(  because this board has no options to adjust soc voltage or load line calibration.  What do you mean by "core offset"?  I'm pretty sure this board doesn't have that option either.

Edited by murander - 11 May 2017 at 8:47am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:17am

@Kevin A
I'm surprised my temps are so good. I'm just using a stock cooler, but I did meticulously replace the stock thermal paste with some cooler master thermal paste I had.  I also took time to cover the entire CPU except for a small portion of the diameter.  I rubbed it in the best I could because I know its important to prevent air gaps.

Anyway, you don't have the ASRock AB350M Pro 4 motherboard, do you?  I should have done more research =(  because this board has no options to adjust soc voltage or load line calibration.  What do you mean by "core offset"?  I'm pretty sure this board doesn't have that option either.

In the UEFI of some ASRock Ryzen boards, the VCore option settings are Auto, Manual, and Offset. As you said, your board's UEFI does not have that setting.

When Offset is selected, another option appears, Offset Voltage. Just another way to set VCore.

VDDP is a memory related voltage for Ryzen, which is all I can tell you about it for now.

Question for you, you are using the stock Wraith CPU cooler? You said it works well for you, how did you configure the fan speed in the UEFI? Using a default profile, or a custom one you created in the  FAN-Tastic Tuning feature in the HW Monitoring screen? At least I hope your board has that feature. You could also configure the CPU fan speeds with the standard options in the HW Monitoring screen
murander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:48am
I didn't touch any of the fan speed options, but thanks for the info.  I'll check it out.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:52am

@Kevin A
I'm surprised my temps are so good. I'm just using a stock cooler, but I did meticulously replace the stock thermal paste with some cooler master thermal paste I had.? I also took time to cover the entire CPU except for a small portion of the diameter.? I rubbed it in the best I could because I know its important to prevent air gaps.
?
Anyway, you don't have the ASRock AB350M Pro 4 motherboard, do you?? I should have done more research =(? because this board has no options to adjust soc voltage or load line calibration.? What do you mean by "core offset"?? I'm pretty sure this board doesn't have that option either.
?
?

Ha, murander...you don't need to . You have a 'great' overclock! The rest now will be DDR4 speeds and microcode updates over time from AMD/AsRock, Microsoft/Linux updates and then general Software/Game developer updates as the platform matures.

You are off to a great start with the Ryzen 1600 that you have. The Wraith Spire is a decent cooler for the Ryzen CPU's that come with it. And your B350 supports overclocking, I checked the manual for your motherboard and right now it doesn't appear to be 'feature' rich in the UEFI/Bios(OC Tweaker Screen,that is...). But who knows, you may get more options as new Bios updates occur. Also, it is on the 'OC Tweaker Screen' that the options I mentioned in my earlier post are. My Fatality X370 Professional Gaming is heavily populated with options on that screen.

Again, great job on your OC and temps.

---btw, your temps 'inspired' me to look into my own temps. I removed and cleaned my Noctua DH-14, applied some IC Diamond(used the Noctua NH-1 previously), re-oriented two 140mm case fans for more air in my Lian Li and ran a stress test over night. 52C was the high! @3.95 Not a bad 6C turn around

Edited by Kevin A - 11 May 2017 at 9:54pm
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:30pm

I've got to ask you guys if you have tried any CPU overclocking and how successful you have been as far as stability with your overclocks. 

I have the Ryzen 1600 (non x).  I cant get 3950 or even 3900 stable even at 1.39 volts. I should rephrase...i can boot into windows with those settings and run some stability tests, but invariably one of my stability tests will eventually fail.

I have my 1700 running 3.8ghz, tried for 4ghz (which this cpu is definitely capable of) but because of the severe vdroop I'm getting, I just went back to 3.8.

When LLC and Soc adjustments become availeble, I'll hit 4ghz+ for sure.

You may experience the same problem as mine.. Try setting 1.39v like you did for 3.9ghz, but set cpu at 3.7 or something thats stable and check how the voltage behave under load (use hwinfo64 to check voltages).

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:14am
Originally posted by TAMW TAMW wrote:

I have my 1700 running 3.8ghz, tried for 4ghz (which this cpu is definitely capable of) but because of the severe vdroop I'm getting, I just went back to 3.8.

When LLC and Soc adjustments become availeble, I'll hit 4ghz+ for sure.

You may experience the same problem as mine.. Try setting 1.39v like you did for 3.9ghz, but set cpu at 3.7 or something thats stable and check how the voltage behave under load (use hwinfo64 to check voltages).

if you do get llc for your bios it shouldnt be too hard to get 3.9 ghz at 1.300 volts
my cpu is there and quite happy about it as well
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 4:49am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

if you do get llc for your bios it shouldnt be too hard to get 3.9 ghz at 1.300 volts
my cpu is there and quite happy about it as well

What speed I get at a spesific voltage is all chip related (assuming good enough cooling), some just overclocks better than others.

I know I'll get 4ghz on this chip, as it held up for 10-20 seconds prime on 1.31v (1.375 set in bios)..

Actually, this is cpu belongs to a friend, mine is on the way so I hope it oc's just as good. Tongue

I also bought a couple of vrm waterblocks dirt cheap used with variable mounting, hoping it will fit this board.. Just need them bios options LOL
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:53pm
i have the same Ripjaw V but the red ones. on the X370 Gaming k4. i got it to post at 2400 with 15,15,15,36  1.35V   Slots A2/B2. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic