ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock AB350M Pro4 RAM problems. Could use advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350M Pro4 RAM problems. Could use advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock AB350M Pro4 RAM problems. Could use advice
    Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:16pm
Here is my build:

- Ryzen 1600 (non x)
- ASRock AB350M Pro4 AM4 AMD Promontory B350 Micro ATX AMD motherboard
- EVGA GTX1060 6gb videocard
- WD Black 500gb 7200 rpm 64mb cache hard disk drive
- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
- Corsair CP-9020122-NA 650W ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) and the model number is F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

I've updated the motherboard bios to version 2.4.  I cannot get this thing to post with anything above 2133MHz for the RAM.  I'm almost positive I have the RAM in the proper slots on the motherboard.  Here is a vertical visualization of where I have the 2 sticks of 8gb.

CPU
A1 slot (empty)
A2 slot (1 stick)
B1 slot (empty)
B2 slot (1 stick)

Any thoughts on what I need to do?  I'd obviously love to get the RAM up to 3200 or 2933.  Heck, I'd even be happy with 2667 at this point.

Thanks in advance.
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 8:52am
I use slot A1 and B1 on my AB350M-Pro4, I get 2400mhz stable with 16gb G.skill f4-2800c15-8grbb , anything over 2400 won't boot.
I tried another Crucial set 4x4gb 2400mhz (don't have the partnr handy) and it also booted 2400, but wasn't stable at all, even down to 1866mhz I got all kinds of errors and strange behavior.

Also sometimes when I go in the bios, I can't navigate with the keyboard and have to use mouse. This happens at random it seems.

As I mentioned in my thread, I also get horrible vdroop on the vcore.. I set 1.375v trying to get my 1700 stable at 4ghz, it reads 1.41v idle and then under load it drops down to 1.31v!

Another thing is I get screen tear pretty bad with this setup when I scroll down and such, tho I'm guessing that is more driver related..?

Hoping they can fix these issues in bios updates soon :)
murander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:38am
Ok, so I've got some more information on this board.  It only currently supports 2400 MHz ram if you have dual channel ram.  Mine is dual channel.  If you have single channel....well I cannot say what your max should be because I have not researched that.  Although the instruction book seems to indicate 2667MHz if you have single channel RAM (use slots A2 and B2).

@TAMW - I'm pretty sure you should be using RAM slots A2 and B2.  Give that a shot and see what you can do.  By the way, even if you don't get higher RAM frequencies you should probably leave your RAM in slots A2 and B2 because you might get better results when the BIOS updates come out sometime this month (May 2017).

Our motherboard does not currently have an option to adjust load line calibration.  That is too bad because it is what you need to attempt to address that vdroop. 

I haven't found any options in the BIOS for adjusting the uncore voltage.  Does anyone see this? (I'm pretty sure it does not exist at this time and they may never give us access since this is a budget board).
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:30pm
I whould think we should be getting VTT/uncore, pch voltage, and load line adjustments in the future, even the sub $100 z97m Anniversity I had with a 2+1 phase vrm had those options.. But I'm sure such features on these lowend boards aren't priority one over at ASrock.

Fingers crossed.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by murander murander wrote:

Ok, so I've got some more information on this board.  It only currently supports 2400 MHz ram if you have dual channel ram.  Mine is dual channel.  If you have single channel....well I cannot say what your max should be because I have not researched that.  Although the instruction book seems to indicate 2667MHz if you have single channel RAM (use slots A2 and B2).

@TAMW - I'm pretty sure you should be using RAM slots A2 and B2.  Give that a shot and see what you can do.  By the way, even if you don't get higher RAM frequencies you should probably leave your RAM in slots A2 and B2 because you might get better results when the BIOS updates come out sometime this month (May 2017).

Our motherboard does not currently have an option to adjust load line calibration.  That is too bad because it is what you need to attempt to address that vdroop. 

I haven't found any options in the BIOS for adjusting the uncore voltage.  Does anyone see this? (I'm pretty sure it does not exist at this time and they may never give us access since this is a budget board).

If you check your board's Memory QVL List, you'll find memory models up to 3000 that are supported in dual channel mode:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M%20Pro4/index.asp#Memory

Memory compatibility is the biggest issue currently with Ryzen. If you check G.SKILL's list of compatible memory for the AB350M Pro4, you get this (sorry for the text link, some URLs fail in the forum editor link tool):

http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2999&model=2993

A2 and B2 are the correct slots to use. I believe I recall another user of Ripjaws V memory in his Ryzen board also had poor results. The best description I've read about Ryzen memory compatibility is that it is a "crap shoot", meaning pure luck if it works or not. All of the existing (pre-Ryzen) DDR4 memory was designed for Intel systems, and the XMP profile data does not work with Ryzen. Memory that uses Samsung B-die memory chips has the best chance of working well with Ryzen.

How are you configuring your memory, manually? Did you increase the DRAM voltage to 1.35V?

What VCore voltage setting are you using? Auto, Offset, or Fixed? On some boards the LLC option won't appear when Auto is used.

"Uncore" is really an Intel term, do you mean the SoC voltage?

Hopefully your board will get an LLC option when the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 CPU microcode is released in May by AMD, but when that will happen, who knows?
murander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:26am
@Parsec,

Yes, I have been manually raising the DRAM voltage to 1.35 (I even tried 1.4 which I think is the max on this board at the moment).  I also tried to up the ohms through the ProcODT setting by increasing it to 60.  Robert Hallock from AMD gave a really nice overclocking 101 class.  Here is the youtube link (start around minute 30)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8BQaQmL1U  He says never go over 80 for ProcODT.

For VCore I was using 1.37 (which comes out to like 1.3685 or something)  I change it from "Auto" to "Manual" which only opens up 2 new fields.  (1) The CPU frequency and (2) the cpu voltage to allow for adjustments.  The LLC does not appear when doing so.

Yes, I do mean SoC voltage.  Unfortunately, there is no option currently available for this board.  The only voltage options besides the CPU voltage are further down the page under the RAM options and they are (1) DRAM voltage (2) 1.8 voltage and (3) VDDP voltage.  I don't even mess with #2 and #3 when attempting to overclock the RAM.

Edited by murander - 10 May 2017 at 12:27am
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A2 and B2 are the correct slots to use. I believe I recall another user of Ripjaws V memory in his Ryzen board also had poor results. The best description I've read about Ryzen memory compatibility is that it is a "crap shoot", meaning pure luck if it works or not. All of the existing (pre-Ryzen) DDR4 memory was designed for Intel systems, and the XMP profile data does not work with Ryzen. Memory that uses Samsung B-die memory chips has the best chance of working well with Ryzen.

How are you configuring your memory, manually? Did you increase the DRAM voltage to 1.35V?

What VCore voltage setting are you using? Auto, Offset, or Fixed? On some boards the LLC option won't appear when Auto is used.

"Uncore" is really an Intel term, do you mean the SoC voltage?

Hopefully your board will get an LLC option when the new AGESA 1.0.0.6 CPU microcode is released in May by AMD, but when that will happen, who knows?

I'll try the a2b2 slots then. I've only tried up to 1.3v DRAM, as the spd only says 1.25v, will give 1.35v a go.
And yes, I configure memory manual, tho there aren't a lot of settings, just the main timings, not even command rate.

There is only Auto and Manual vcore settings for  this board, but I guess manual is the same as fixed. I use manual of course.

Btw, what exactly is VDDP voltage? The only voltage settings in the bios are Vcore, DRAM, "1.8v", and VDDP.
murander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 9:59am
@TAMW, I don't have a good grasp of what VDDP voltage is, but the Youtube video I linked is of an AMD employee explaining many motherboard settings including VDDP voltage. I think his name is Robert Hallock.  Check it out.
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:09am
Might have to copy the links and paste/go.

So here is the link to the above(mentioned by murander) long version... very informative. It is titled "MSI & AMD Dragon Squad | Robert Hallock?�s Entire Talk on Ryzen & Overclocking".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8BQaQmL1U

Here is a link that contains the shorter version. It is titled "We Got Inside AMD?�s Texas Home - & Learned How To Overclock RAM on Ryzen - #DragonSquad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

I watched them both just to see if there was any 'break thru' for my DDR4 @3200mhz that is currently running @2400mhz. It was a nice thought though, right?

Edited by Kevin A - 11 May 2017 at 2:10am
TAMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 2:31am
Yea, think we'll just have to wait for a more mature bios for this fukker.. :P

With Load Line Calibration, Soc voltage adjustments and better ram support, this will be one hell of a budget board! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic