Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedX370 Taichi - self bricked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Taichi - self bricked
    Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:24am
Okay.

With this Ryzen build I opted for AsRock instead of asus, that's the first time in a looong time I switch mb brands. 

Had the board running bios 2.20, so far so good, I was really enjying my system stability and memory at 3000MHz. 
Today I went to start my computer, connected the psu to the wall, hit the power button. The q-code reader cycled normally to q-code 99 but then the board self restarted. Okay, not the first time this board has pulled that. It went trough some q-codes again but then got stuck at q-code E4, and it could never get past it again.

So far I have tried:

- clear CMOS - No go
- clear CMOS, removing all ram sticks - No go
- clear CMOS, getting another brand of ram at slot A2 - No go
- Tried to find something that could help me in the manual - No go
- clear CMOS, remove battery, disconnecting EVERYTHING, GPu, PSU, RAM CPU, Pswitches, getting the board naked of any other components the same as it came to me and let it sitting with clear CMOS jumper in the clear position - No go
- Gettinghaving a USB stick fat 32 formatted with the bios file inside and connected to the boards USB port - No go

Then I tried to find on the internet on how to recover a bricked bios on this $ 200 AsRock made board...

My question is really simple:

There are any ways to recover this board from a bios that won't post ??? 

Edited by vpz - 10 May 2017 at 7:48am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:55am
Sorry, vpz, I do not have an answer for your question - obviously suspect a HW failure.  I searched for some information on E4 Dr.  Debug code and only found "E4 - Reserved for future AMI progress codes".  Please e-mail ASRock Support with your information and ask them what the code means and where we all can find definitions of all the Dr. Debug codes.
Thanks and enjoy, John.
vpz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:21am
I have found some on AMI bios regarding that code and it is "S3 status resume" related.

S3 Resume Progress Codes - 0xE4-0xE7 Reserved for future AMI progress codes.

So, in my case had SMT disabled, I wonder how tight my problem is related to the CROSSHAIR HERO self bricking problems that asus had corrected more than a month a go. The thing is that Asus motherboard can recover from a bricked bios, this asrock board seems to have no bios recovery features. 
If you ask me it is a shame, specially after you see AsRock saying AMD didn't gave them time to get stuff done.  But then AsRock is not making it any easier by not having a bios recovery feature on a $ 200 board with self bricking issues.

Sorry, I'll just return this motherboard, get me an ASUS and never look back again.

Edited by vpz - 10 May 2017 at 9:53am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:34am
vpz, please post a link to the Dr. Debug codes you found.  Thanks, John.
vpz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:35am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:46am
Thanks, vpz.  Enjoy, John.
lowdog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:47am
I've had my board get stuck in a boot loop with this code. I have to hold power button down to turn off the board then turn off power from main switch at wall then press power button on computer to drain board of current then press clr cmos button and then turn power back on at wall and it fires up as usual.

You already probably realize this but do you turn the power off at the wall then press the power button on the PC to drain the board before you clear cmos via the on board switch???

Hope you get it fired up.

Last resort - strip board bare and start again with just cpu - ram - graphics and see how it goes.....

Edited by lowdog - 11 May 2017 at 7:06am
vpz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:32am
I guess you have never actually read my post lol

Edited by vpz - 11 May 2017 at 8:32am
lowdog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by vpz vpz wrote:

I guess you have never actually read my post lol

Lol actually I did.

Edited by lowdog - 11 May 2017 at 9:32am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:58am
First, don't be plugging and unplugging the computer. That is very harmful to all electronics. Doing what you are doing now creates an unneeded surge(inrush) of electricity into and through your entire system. Possibly killing components each time. Certainly shortening their life spans/MTBF

Read this to learn why NOT to unplug from the wall - http://sound.whsites.net/articles/inrush.htm

Todays MBs are very very light in electrical usage when powered down via the OS and restarted via the cases power switch.

Secondly, try the below and post back the results please:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic