ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 Not controlling pwm fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spawne32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 Not controlling pwm fans
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 6:17am
Just purchased a AB350M Pro4 motherboard with a ryzen 1600 cpu, I have used two other motherboards so far with this CPU, never had any issues with the fan control in the UEFI. On this board, I set manual scaling to 70c for 100% or critical temp, and 40c at the lowest option for both the chassis and CPU headers (both of which are PWM). I get about 300rpm range of control when going from idle to 100% load under stability testing. HWinfo64 shows 70c+ CPU temps, however Atuning barely gets to 50c under full load. What's the issue here? Is it reading the temp wrong in the BIOS, or just unable to control the fans?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Spawne32 Spawne32 wrote:

Just purchased a AB350M Pro4 motherboard with a ryzen 1600 cpu, I have used two other motherboards so far with this CPU, never had any issues with the fan control in the UEFI. On this board, I set manual scaling to 70c for 100% or critical temp, and 40c at the lowest option for both the chassis and CPU headers (both of which are PWM). I get about 300rpm range of control when going from idle to 100% load under stability testing. HWinfo64 shows 70c+ CPU temps, however Atuning barely gets to 50c under full load. What's the issue here? Is it reading the temp wrong in the BIOS, or just unable to control the fans?

Are you using the AMD Wraith CPU cooler? Or something else?

The CPU temperature reading you get in A-Tuning is the same one used to control the CPU_FAN header. So the CPU fan speed control is only reaching whatever level you set for 50C, for example.

Ryzen 7 processors (yours in a Ryzen 5) report two CPU temperatures, Tdie and Tctl (control). The Tctl reading has a +20° C offset above the Tdie temperature. The purpose of that offset temperature reading is used to control the Wraith CPU cooler when used with different AM4 processors. I don't completely understand the purpose of these two Ryzen CPU temperatures, but in this case your board is using the Tdie temperature to control the CPU_FAN header.

My X370 Killer SLI/ac board reports both Tdie and Tctl in HWiNFO64. You apparently only see one CPU temperature reported in HWiNFO? Actually, I get three CPU temperatures.

It sounds like you are using FAN-Tastic Tuning in the UEF? That should have five temperature points in the fan speed curve. I'm not sure if you are using more than the two temperature points you mentioned.

Since the CPU_FAN header is controlled by the lower Tdie temperature, you will need to compensate for that in FAN-Tastic Tuning. My X370 board is the same as yours, using Tdie. I set the lowest CPU temperature to 30° C, and set the next step at 40° C, then 50° C, etc. You need to set the PWM level for each lower temperature higher than you are using now. That's how I get the CPU fan speed to increase earlier, since my CPU cooler's fan has a wide RPM range.

Which UEFI version are you using now? While any version works with Ryzen 5 processors like yours, you need at least version 2.00, which are optimized for Ryzen 5 processors. That might make a difference in the CPU fan speed control too, but I don't know if it will or not. There is a note about this in the CPU Support List page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#CPU

Depending upon the UEFI version you have now, you might not be able to use the "BIOS" (Instant Flash) update method. If you need more information, let us know. The UEFI/BIOS download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M/index.asp#BIOS

Also, I don't know if your board's UEFI has this screen in Advanced Mode, look in Advanced -> AMD CBS-> NBIO Common Options-> Fan Control screen. The main option is Fan Control, if you set it to Manual other options open to configure the CPU cooler's fan. My guess is this screen is for the Wraith Cooler. If you have that screen, try experimenting with it and see what happens. I don't have a Wraith cooler so I've never tried it.
Spawne32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spawne32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:42am
I am using version 2.4, I used the internet flash update in the BIOS to change versions. The critical temp in the manual control only allows a minimum of 60c, and since the CPU temp its reading rarely gets to 60c using that particular sensor, I can never get it to full speed unfortunately. I am using a BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 as well.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Spawne32 Spawne32 wrote:

I am using version 2.4, I used the internet flash update in the BIOS to change versions. The critical temp in the manual control only allows a minimum of 60c, and since the CPU temp its reading rarely gets to 60c using that particular sensor, I can never get it to full speed unfortunately. I am using a BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 as well.

So you cannot set one of the temperature points before 60 C @ 100% to say 40C at 90%, for example?

Can't you set one of the other temperature points to 100%?

If you use your board's A-Tuning utility, the FAN-Tastic Tuning feature in it will let you set the Critical Temperature to whatever you want. I tried it on my board's A-Tuning program, and I could set the Critical Temperature point to 0° C, or to any temperature.

Modify the the CPU_FAN1 fan speed profile in A-Tuning any way you like and click Apply, and in A-Tuning's Settings screen, check the Auto run at Windows Startup box. When Windows boots A-Tuning will run and apply the fan speed profiles you modified in A-Tuning.
SiX-P4cK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiX-P4cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 2:26am
CPU-Fan and Chassis fan 3 are working well. I didn't try the others

I used prime95 to get the max temp and A-Tuning utility fan test.

For the CPU i have this configuration:
T1: 40° --> 30%
T2: 45° --> 60%
T3: 50° --> 85%
T4: 60° --> 100%
AMD R7-1700 @3.85Ghz 1.33V + Noctua NH-D15S
ASRock AB350 Pro4
G.Skill Ripjaws V Kit 2x8GB @3066 16-18-18-39
AMD Radeon RX 480 MSI GAMING X 4Go
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 2280
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic