ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble with Sound Card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShepRamsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble with Sound Card
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 6:34am
I have recently switched to Ryzen. Computer specs:

Ryzen 1700x
x370 Taichi MOBO
evga 1080 TI
16 gb 3200 ram (set to 2133 for the time being because it won't let me go higher it seems)

My main problem is that I have tried plugging my sound blaster z sound card into pci slot 5 on the mother board. It is a pcie x1 I believe and it isn't recognized. It works fine if I plug it into pci slot 1 (another pcie x1.) I just got the mother board a few days ago and I have the latest bios. I'm just wondering if this is a known issue or if there is something I should try before RMAing my board. Thanks in advance.

My other 2 problem I seem to be getting is I'll boot up my computer to a black screen roughly 50% of the time and I just have to hold down the power button to try again. And the last problem is getting  my ram to run as high as possible. I thought I was told I could do 3200, hence me buying 3200, but my computer won't boot it. Thanks again.

You can probably tell by the way I type that I am not the most tech savvy person in the world, but any advice is appreciated.
Conraire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conraire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:21am
As far as the last pci-e slot not working, it may be a shared slot.  Which means if the onboard hardware that is using the slot is enable, it won't allow that particular slot to be used. 

Let me check the manual for that boar real quick. 

Are you using an M.2 SSD drive in the M.2_2 port??  If M2_2 is occupied, PCIE5 slot will be disabled.  If not, it's possible the slot could be bad. 

Not sure what to tell you on the power up black screen.

Now as far as the RAM goes, what kit did you buy? 

ShepRamsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShepRamsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:49am
Yeah. I'm not using either M.2 port. I guess I just have a bad slot. :( I'm not really worried about the slot, but I'm just concerned that if one slot is bad, other ones could be bad too. Guess I'll just have to RMA the mobo. :/

Ram: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232407
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:09pm
Memory in slots A2 and B2, clear the BIOS, and power up. Please reply back what happens at that point.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 12:17pm
Oh, too. From the manual ..........
PCIe slots:
PCIE1 (PCIe 2.0 x1 slot) is used for PCI Express x1 lane width cards.
PCIE2 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x16 lane width graphics cards.
PCIE3 (PCIe 3.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x8 lane width graphics cards.
PCIE4 (PCIe 2.0 x1 slot) is used for PCI Express x1 lane width cards.
PCIE5 (PCIe 2.0 x16 slot) is used for PCI Express x4 lane width graphics cards.

* If PCIE5 slot is occupied, M2_2 will be disabled

Let's get your memory moving first, then move on to the sound card in maybe PCIe slot 1 or 4.

But battling both at the same time isn't productive. Stability first. Audio afterwards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShepRamsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:17am
Woops. I erroneously reported that pcie slot 5 was the one that wasn't working, but it was actually pcie slot 4. The sound card works fine in pcie slot 1, but doesn't work in pcie slot 4. The LEDs from the sound card light up and everything, but the computer just refuses to acknowledge it's plugged up. I was thinking maybe i had something hooked up wrong or there was  setting a needed to turn on or something, but alas, I guess it's just a bad slot.

As for the memory... moving it really isn't an option, as my cooler master evo is blocking ram slot a1, so i already have the sticks in a2 and b2. And I'm not super worried about the ram, as I know if i mess with the oc settings I'll eventually find something that works out ok.

Fixing the memory is an even lower priority if I have to RMA the board anyhow. Do you think that is the best thing to do? Even if it is highly unlikely that I would ever use PCIe slot 4?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShepRamsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:19am
And I mean, my computer works fine with the Ram set at 2133... (albeit only booting 50% of the time because of the black screen issue.)
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:10am
Is there something in PCIE1 already?

It's been years and years since I used a sound card and they were finicky then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShepRamsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:01am
The sound card is now in PCIE1. But only because I couldn't get PCIE4 to work. The only things I am using any of the pcie slots for is my 1080 ti and my sound blaster z sound card. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic