ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New AB350M Pro4 build not posting, RAM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomiknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New AB350M Pro4 build not posting, RAM?
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:03pm
I'm seeing a pattern in the replies on other posts and most have to do with RAM... I just wanted some clarification regarding troubleshooting this MOBO... most of the past computers I've built had some sort of LED or Beep indication during the first boot to let me know that things are working, or if there was an issue I could look up the error in case something was bad.

I've assembled a Ryzen 1600X system with the AB350M Pro4, a Seasonic 650 W PSU, single Samsung SSD, and some Patriot 2x4 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram that stated it was verified with AM4. I'm using onboard video for now and I would hope the BIOS is recent enough since the board just arrived from newegg.ca, but I'll have to confirm when i get home. The support site says the Ryzen 5 series should boot with all versions.

Now, if the RAM is not playing nicely with this board, what is the expected result? I would have thought it would be unstable but should at least show some type of video output or audible error?

Currently upon powering up, the fans spin and that is it, no video, no beeps or flashing LEDs to indicate anything is off.

Help appreciated.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:49pm
New boards don't come with an onboard buzzer/speaker. You'll need to connect one.

Mem in slots A2 and B2 !

If it's not playing nice it'll sometimes give no video.
Atomiknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomiknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 11:54pm
I should have mentioned, it came with a tiny speaker to connect to the speaker pins, which I did. Though after reading another post, it sounds like by default that output is disabled (which is silly from an initial troubleshooting standpoint).

The memory is in A2 and B2 as per the directions that came with the MOBO.

So what you're saying is that with slight ram incompatibilities, the MOBO behaves like a brick and tells us nothing? Guess I'll pick up an alternate set of RAM today and see if anything changes.
Any idea if a MOBO would display anything without RAM inserted? Can I rule out other issues by trying to boot a board with nothing buy the CPU, PSU using onboard video?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:12am
Meh, I just looked ..........

You BIOS chip sits directly above and at the end of PCIE1. What is printed on the sticker covering it?

By the CPU Support it has to be BIOS P2.10 or above to support the later released 1600X
http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M%20Pro4/index.us.asp#CPU
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Atomiknight Atomiknight wrote:

Though after reading another post, it sounds like by default that output is disabled (which is silly from an initial troubleshooting standpoint).

I would be flabbergasted if that were true. Years...Decades ago there was an option in the BIOS to disable the troubleshooting buzzer built on MB's.

I haven't seen that particular BIOS option in some time now.

You're saying yours isn't beeping? Have you checked that your monitor is now set to look for a signal on the correct input? Happens here alot people forget this.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:15am
Oh sh*t dude. I missed the below in your original

There is NO onboard video with a 1600X.

Put a graphics card in her!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomiknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:19am
Well, I feel silly for what I'm about to post and can't believe I didn't realize this. After a conversation with someone at a local shop... He brought to light that the mobo, even though it states integrated video with HDMI out, it is dependent on having an APU and does not infact have standalone integrated video... that would explain why I'm getting no output.  

For some reason I assumed that AM4 was for Ryzen, and that integrated video and built in outputs meant it would work.  Now that I look at the asrock specs on their site, it clearly states that is for A series APUs... 

So I'll pop in a video card and see where it takes me, I could have a working system, or I might still run into RAM issues.... 

I'll be back :P
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:21am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Oh sh*t dude. I missed the below in your original

There is NO onboard video with a 1600X.

Put a graphics card in her!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomiknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:21am
Yea, your post was dead on and I was already writing my reply but thanks!  Guess while buying the thing and flying through the specs, I assumed that by seeing a video section and having outputs, that it was integrated video as I've had in the past on other boards.... no dice.  Next time I'll know to look out for that :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomiknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:24am
BUT, it is strange to have no beeps or errors to say "HEY DOOFUS YOU FORGOT TO PLUG IN A VIDEO CARD" lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic