ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi & 960 Evo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juhne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi & 960 Evo
    Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:36pm
Hello,

I've got a problem with the speed of the PCIe interface for my Samsung 960 Evo 250 Gb NVMe drive.
It is on the correct slot: M2_1. It boots perfectly in Windows 10 64 Pro. Using it since Bios 2.00... BUT...
the speed in Samsung Magician is : PCIe Gen 3 x2. Not x4. 
I don't know where I can change that or what can I do to have the correct speed for the drive.
Thanks for helping me with this :)
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:45am
what version of magician are you using ?
latest is version 5
its on the download page of the 960 evo support
i say this as its very easy to have the earlier versions installed (via google search or driver disk)

my taichi and evo 960 do indeed show gen3 x 4
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Juhne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juhne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:15am
It's the lastest version with the latest samsung nvme driver :/
HWinfo64 (lastest beta 5.51-3155) also tell me that the current link speed is 2x.
Maybe it's because i'm on Legacy mode (MBR) and not in UEFI mode (GPT) ?

Here is my current setup:
Taichi with 2.3 bios
Ryzen 5 1600X @ stock/no OC
HyperX Savage 2x16 Gb RAM @ 2400 Mhz
Nvidia 1080 GTX FE
Samsung 960 Evo 250 Gb
Samsung 850 Evo 500 Gb
Seagate 2 Tb

Here is some screen...

Edited by Juhne - 19 May 2017 at 5:45am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:58am
Juhne, I would suspect the SSD.  Have you contacted Samsung concerning your problem?  Is the card plugged in well and secured with the screw and the SSD PCB is parallel to the MB?  Have you tried removing the SSD and cleaning the contacts?  You can use a pencil eraser on the card and see if you can look into the socket and make sure there is no packing material in there.  Have you tried swapping the two SSDs?  Good luck and enjoy, John.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Juhne Juhne wrote:

Hello,

I've got a problem with the speed of the PCIe interface for my Samsung 960 Evo 250 Gb NVMe drive.
It is on the correct slot: M2_1. It boots perfectly in Windows 10 64 Pro. Using it since Bios 2.00... BUT...
the speed in Samsung Magician is : PCIe Gen 3 x2. Not x4. 
I don't know where I can change that or what can I do to have the correct speed for the drive.
Thanks for helping me with this :)

Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS since you installed the 960 EVO?

In the UEFI, Storage Configuration screen, where is the 960 EVO shown, in the M2_1(PCIE) entry/line? The 960 EVO should NOT be listed in the M2_1(SATA) entry/line.

Your board's manual does not include changes to the UEFI from UEFI updates. Do you have any options in the Storage Configuration screen called "Force M.2"?

MBR or GPT partitioning should not make any difference in the M.2 interface connection between the SSD and the board. How did you install Windows 10 on your 960 EVO? Was it a new, fresh installation, or a clone/copy from another drive? Did you run the AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601 installation program after installing Windows?

Did you try removing the 960 EVO and inserting it again into the M2_1 slot? I would NOT recommend using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts of any M.2 SSD, the contacts are small and delicate. There are contacts on both sides of the circuit board. Only use alcohol on a "Q-Tip" or new, clean paper towel.

The benchmark test result look like the interface to the 960 EVO is only PCIe 3.0 x2, as the Magician software is showing.
GenesisDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenesisDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:11pm
Are you overclocking BLCK? If you put it at 104 or over it will usually go down to x2 from x4.
Taichi X370, Ryzen 1700 @ 4ghz, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Ram, Samsung 960 EVO nvme, Intel 600P nvme, 2TB Seagate HDD, 2TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Mushkin SSD, GTX 1080
Juhne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juhne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:10pm
Did you try clearing the UEFI/BIOS since you installed the 960 EVO?

Yes

In the UEFI, Storage Configuration screen, where is the 960 EVO shown, in the M2_1(PCIE) entry/line? The 960 EVO should NOT be listed in the M2_1(SATA) entry/line.

Your board's manual does not include changes to the UEFI from UEFI updates. Do you have any options in the Storage Configuration screen called "Force M.2"?

Nope

MBR or GPT partitioning should not make any difference in the M.2 interface connection between the SSD and the board. How did you install Windows 10 on your 960 EVO? Was it a new, fresh installation, or a clone/copy from another drive? Did you run the AMD all in 1 driver ver:16.50.2601 installation program after installing Windows?

The drive was completely erased... fresh install from USB stick.
Yes I've run the AMD all in 1 16.50 then 17.10

Did you try removing the 960 EVO and inserting it again into the M2_1 slot? 

Not yet ...  Done! Still x2 Ouch

PS: no OC at all... 

Edited by Juhne - 19 May 2017 at 11:33pm
Juhne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juhne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 1:08am
It seems I've found the culprit !!!!
Samsung Magician 5.0 uninstalled and...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic